Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,017 of 75,075
My Cygnus has just been sent by Penon Audio. Now fingers crossed, I should be getting it by next week.......well hopefully...........
Now the waiting game commences. Eager to compared the performance of the Cygnus against the Tomahawk.

Side question, does the green layer of cooper oxide (I presume) which forms on the Cygnus's cable detrimental to the overall performance of the earbud? Or does the oxide layer actually serve as a barrier against further oxygenation?  

Thank-you

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #3,018 of 75,075

Yes, I really like the BOE:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/earbud-thailand-black-onyx-earbud-boe/reviews/14988

Though they are out of stock and will not sell that model again.  They are working on something better now.

The Tomahawk has the best mids I have ever heard in an earbud.

--

really? i was planning to buy another pair or two of the BOE because i like them that much. no wonder its so hard to get one, even i bought mine second hand..

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #3,019 of 75,075
  My Cygnus has just been sent by Penon Audio. Now fingers crossed, I should be getting it by next week.......well hopefully...........
Now the waiting game commences. Eager to compared the performance of the Cygnus against the Tomahawk.

Side question, does the green layer of cooper oxide (I presume) which forms on the Cygnus's cable detrimental to the overall performance of the earbud? Or does the oxide layer actually serve as a barrier against further oxygenation?  

Thank-you

I don't know about cygnus' but i owned UE 11, and the oxidation affects the highs quality, become muddier than before.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #3,020 of 75,075
  really? i was planning to buy another pair or two of the BOE because i like them that much. no wonder its so hard to get one, even i bought mine second hand..

I've spoken with the owner of Earbud Thailand and he said:  "I've been improving the quality of sound, appearance and packaging of my earbud, I will let you know when I am finished".

I'm excited to see he comes up with, but I wish I had been able to purchase a 2nd pair for a back up.

--

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #3,021 of 75,075
I just got my Tomahawks in yesterday and Asura 2 in the day before. I haven't had that much time to do a real initial impression, but I've been listening to them through various sources, and based on the very small sample size I like the Tomahawks better. The soundstage on the Tomahawks is just awesome.

I'm obsessed with the Cyngus too. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #3,022 of 75,075
  I just got my Tomahawks in yesterday and Asura 2 in the day before. I haven't had that much time to do a real initial impression, but I've been listening to them through various sources, and based on the very small sample size I like the Tomahawks better. The soundstage on the Tomahawks is just awesome.

I'm obsessed with the Cyngus too. 

can you elaborate more on Toma vs Cygnus? and has your cable turned green?

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,024 of 75,075

Thank-you

Is the cable not covered by rubber or some other material? I asked Shozy about the Cygnus cable on their Facebook page:

Danneq:
 How quick does this happen (cable turning green?) At around how high air humidity? During winter air humidity is only around 30-40% in Sweden but in July/August it can go up to 65-70%

Shozy:
 all depends... but yah it will get green eventually

They recommend that you get a dry box if you live in a country with high air humidity. Perhaps I should be glad for living in Sweden, where your skin cracks and breaks in winter because of the dry air...

But Shozy should release a Cygnus 2.0 with new cable or something that prevents that sort of oxidation.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #3,025 of 75,075
Is the cable not covered by rubber or some other material? I asked Shozy about the Cygnus cable on their Facebook page:

They recommend that you get a dry box if you live in a country with high air humidity. Perhaps I should be glad for living in Sweden, where your skin cracks and breaks in winter because of the dry air...

But Shozy should release a Cygnus 2.0 with new cable or something that prevents that sort of oxidation.

Cygnus 2.0?! Care to elaborate my friend? Bad news for me I guess, maybe I should have canceled my order with Penon.......

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,026 of 75,075

Cygnus 2.0?! Care to elaborate my friend? Bad news for me I guess. I live in Malaysia a TROPICAL country..........wow...just wow.....maybe I should have canceled my order with Penon.......

I mean that they should use another cable. That version of Cygnus with new cable can be called "Cygnus 2.0"...

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #3,027 of 75,075
If they'll realease cygnus 2.0, then i should delay to buy it. I still confused wich one i should buy next between cygnus or ting.
Zen 1.0 & 2.0 still on my top list. Followed by tomahawk, mx985 (already sold), asura beta, boars mx98 (yeah you should try it), and edifier h180 mod.

And i still try to find TM7 or ANV3/se & KZ-OMX2. So hard to find someone who wanna sell it new/second hand :frowning2:
Still waiting for my dx.v4 earbud from thai.

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #3,028 of 75,075
If they'll realease cygnus 2.0, then i should delay to buy it. I still confused wich one i should buy next between cygnus or ting.
Zen 1.0 & 2.0 still on my top list. Followed by tomahawk, mx985 (already sold), asura beta, boars mx98 (yeah you should try it), and edifier h180 mod.

And i still try to find TM7 or ANV3/se & KZ-OMX2. So hard to find someone who wanna sell it new/second hand
frown.gif

Still waiting for my dx.v4 earbud from thai.

I'm also curious of how ting sounds. i heard they sounds neutral compared to tomahawk. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,030 of 75,075
Based on what I have read about The Cygnus so far, maybe I can make a suggestion to Shozy - use a sleeve or just use a cliche but simple black cable if there would be 2.0, in my experience with a pure copper in-ears cable that went both annoyingly stiff and oxidised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back