Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 16, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #661 of 74,630
I want to share with you. Today I received in ear headphones Sony MDR E808. Loved the sound and comfort. I recommend!

Where did you get them? Are they white colored? They look yellow in the picture. They look like old Walkman Earbuds, not the Sony MDR E808. ???

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #663 of 74,630
They are pure white. This picture with the flash in the dark. Bought on Ebay, last. they J cable, asymmetrical. 16 Ohm. Build quality is good.

The earbuds you bought looks JUST like the ones you get with the Sony Walkman CD Player

411XFL5KiaL.jpg

The Sony MDR E808 looks like this:

T1yAxvXiRJXXa.pjET_012404.jpg

Oct 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM Post #664 of 74,630

I think it's safe to say that in terms of pure sound quality ES100 is the best I have tried so far. It sort of resembles the sound of an IEM, very detailed and refined with terrific bass response and an intimate presentation. The Blox BE7 I have has a more open and airy soundstage (although I have yet to fully burn in ES100 to see), a more of headphone like feeling but it is not quite as good in the fineness of sound. ES100 is indeed something very special in the earbuds crowd.

They use different housing, BE3 use the old MX500 housing which is quite thick. ES100 is very flat.

So the BE3 should sound a lot like the ES100 since they use the same drivers, just different housings?

I ask because I have a Yuin OK3 and used to have the PK3's before that. I love my OK3's, but want a pair to regularly bring to work and a pair for home, and looking for something as good or better, but possibly cheaper. The ES100's sound like they may be better, if not definitely, but are even more expensive, while the BE3's are much cheaper at $37 shipped.

I should also note I bought the tingo tg-38s cheap things from aliexpress and was very disappointed, for $15 I guess I shouldn't be, but they sound somewhere between the $0.97 headphones I bought at walmart once to see how they were, and a cheap $10 pair of sony's. They definitely are not quality in sound or build and sound muddled when trying to play anything with bass. They also have their channels flipped from my Yuins. Not sure who screwed up there, but someone is flipping the audio channels.

Anyway, if the BE3's would sound largely the same, I think I'd be willing to go with them, even if they have the same crappy housing as the tingo earbuds I got, though I do see appeal to the ES100's with a much more open looking casing which reminds me of the big hole in the ok3's that lends greatly to their sound quality.

Oct 23, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #665 of 74,630
  So the BE3 should sound a lot like the ES100 since they use the same drivers, just different housings?

I ask because I have a Yuin OK3 and used to have the PK3's before that. I love my OK3's, but want a pair to regularly bring to work and a pair for home, and looking for something as good or better, but possibly cheaper. The ES100's sound like they may be better, if not definitely, but are even more expensive, while the BE3's are much cheaper at $37 shipped.

I should also note I bought the tingo tg-38s cheap things from aliexpress and was very disappointed, for $15 I guess I shouldn't be, but they sound somewhere between the $0.97 headphones I bought at walmart once to see how they were, and a cheap $10 pair of sony's. They definitely are not quality in sound or build and sound muddled when trying to play anything with bass. They also have their channels flipped from my Yuins. Not sure who screwed up there, but someone is flipping the audio channels.

Anyway, if the BE3's would sound largely the same, I think I'd be willing to go with them, even if they have the same crappy housing as the tingo earbuds I got, though I do see appeal to the ES100's with a much more open looking casing which reminds me of the big hole in the ok3's that lends greatly to their sound quality.

BE3 and ES100 use different drivers, ES100's driver is developed by Hifiman specifically for ES100 while Blox has their own driver for BE3.

I haven't tried BE3, but based on my experience with BE7 which I rightfully believe is better than BE3, ES100 is definitely better than BE3. Based on my experience with M2C which offer similar performance to BE3 as I heard, BE3 would in turn be big step from OK3.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #666 of 74,630

BE3 and ES100 use different drivers, ES100's driver is developed by Hifiman specifically for ES100 while Blox has their own driver for BE3.

I haven't tried BE3, but based on my experience with BE7 which I rightfully believe is better than BE3, ES100 is definitely better than BE3. Based on my experience with M2C which offer similar performance to BE3 as I heard, BE3 would in turn be big step from OK3.

Why do you rightfully believe BE7 > BE3 if you never listened to BE3?

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #667 of 74,630

Why do you rightfully believe BE7 > BE3 if you never listened to BE3?

I think that's how Blox number their earbud models.

Blox has suggested somewhere that BE3 is equivalent or better than M2C and to me BE7 is certainly a big step up from M2C. I also found BE7 to be better than BE5. So it appears to me that Blox number their models based on their performance.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #668 of 74,630
Sure, but just because they say it, doesn't mean it is. That's just the way they price and market their products
Audio performance is hard evaluate subjectively and even harder to measure objectively..
I mean, the materials are mostly the same, the techniques are mostly the same and the cost of production is probably mostly the same.
It is quite possible that in a blind test the appreciation of their line of headphones ends up *not* being BE7 > BE5 > BE3 > M2C for many people.

All this just to say it is not good for the consumer to presume blindly BE7 > BE5 > BE3 > M2C. It's probably a good idea to be skeptical and try it for yourself.

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #669 of 74,630

By big step, I'm guessing you mean big step down in terms of quality? Do the Baldoor E100's fall on anyone's radar? They also seem pretty popular, but it looks like they have volume controls built into the cable, and I can't really tell if they are necessarily good as well, or also just hyped by fake voters and people who don't know any better.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:57 AM Post #670 of 74,630

By big step, I'm guessing you mean big step down in terms of quality? Do the Baldoor E100's fall on anyone's radar? They also seem pretty popular, but it looks like they have volume controls built into the cable, and I can't really tell if they are necessarily good as well, or also just hyped by fake voters and people who don't know any better.

Sorry, I meant a big step up from OK3. OK3 is similar to PK2, both below OK2's level, M2C is a big step up from OK2. Nowadays the price of good earbuds have come down so much that it's best not to judge their performance by their price if they are not from the same company.

Oct 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #671 of 74,630
Anybody tried the Sennheiser OMX185 buds? I picked up a pair yesterday and with the foams on they sound really nice to my ears.

Also, how much of an upgrade would it be from these to the OMX980 do you think?

Oct 28, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #673 of 74,630
  Have you any experience with any other "better" earbuds. It kinda depends on what you are used to, and what you like, and what you will be using it with. 

Not really. I've had a long history with IEMs, and only recently got back to using earbuds again.   I've tried the Sennheiser MX375s and really liked them, but the fit of the OMX185 is better, with the behind-ear loops.

The thing that astounds me is that people (myself more than included) spend so much time and money on IEMs, when a simple pair of cheapish earbuds sound so much better. Seriously, IEMs are crippled sonically next to earbuds - at least thats the way my ears now see it.

So any advice you can offer on where - if anywhere - I might look to go from the OMX185s would be much appreciated.

If it helps, I'm listening via a HTC One M8, no extra amp. 

Oct 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #674 of 74,630
I'm not sure if this is completely helpful since I own the MX985 and MX375 and not the earhook variants, but here's my take on the differences:

In terms of sound, the MX985 is much full-bodied and rich with deeper bass and more extended treble. The MX375 doesn't have the same amount of detail (in terms of articulation or texture), but does seem a bit more airy with a larger soundstage.

Ergonomically, the MX375 housing seems to fit my ear better, while the MX985's housing is a bit on the thick side. I'm thinking the earhook of the OMX980 might help a bit there, but I would recommend trying them out first if possible.

The build would certainly be better on the OMX980 as opposed to MX375/OMX185, but that goes without saying. :wink:

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #675 of 74,630
I'm not sure if this is completely helpful since I own the MX985 and MX375 and not the earhook variants, but here's my take on the differences:

In terms of sound, the MX985 is much full-bodied and rich with deeper bass and more extended treble. The MX375 doesn't have the same amount of detail (in terms of articulation or texture), but does seem a bit more airy with a larger soundstage.

Ergonomically, the MX375 housing seems to fit my ear better, while the MX985's housing is a bit on the thick side. I'm thinking the earhook of the OMX980 might help a bit there, but I would recommend trying them out first if possible.

The build would certainly be better on the OMX980 as opposed to MX375/OMX185, but that goes without saying.
wink.gif

Thanks for the reply.  I've done and AB between my MX375 and OMX185 and I prefer the latter - nicer depth of sound and balance, and just more immersive all round.

I'd love to try out the OMX980 or MX980/985 but sadly I don't know anyway to do that without buying them, and I don't have the funds to take such a punt really. Oh well, maybe one day....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back