Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 1, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #13,276 of 75,133
Nov 1, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #13,277 of 75,133

I don't know about the international market, but in China, there are some articles hyping E282 and E484, claiming them to be king of kings, and often in words like "improvement upon E252"

I wouldn't be surprised if those articles are produced by vintage audio gear sellers. 

Well, it might be that they have modded them in some way. Perhaps found original drivers and housings and put them together. I don't know. But I more think it's just hype of discontinued earbuds. People can pay a lot of money for stuff that now is collectors items...

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #13,278 of 75,133

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.19.EX2ryM&id=540237505220&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

Is this the store you bought the PT-15 from? Wonder If I could Wang Wang the seller and tell him that I do not need cables.
Can you kindly take a picture of the original cable for me to have a look? Is it the "springy" type like the monk? Or soft like seahf 400?
Kinda spoiled by the cable of the Cygnus....

That's the store, but why don't you buy from Aliexpress for a much less price?  

Pictures:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/13245#post_12975752

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #13,280 of 75,133
  That's the store, but why don't you buy from Aliexpress for a much less price?  

Pictures:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up/13245#post_12975752

Ah didn't even know how I missed those.

I never once used Ali. I buy everything on Taobao as there is virtually no broker fee for me as I just use a warehouse in Ghuangzhou to store my orders then ship them one go back to my country.

Plus the depreciating Ringgit is going to be a pain if I were to buy in USD.

Nov 1, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #13,281 of 75,133
  Ah didn't even know how I missed those.

I never once used Ali. I buy everything on Taobao as there is virtually no broker fee for me as I just use a warehouse in Ghuangzhou to store my orders then ship them one go back to my country.

Plus the depreciating Ringgit is going to be a pain if I were to buy in USD.

That store is not highly ranked by customers as you can see. 
I talked to the seller about the 5 USD sale on aliexpress and ask them if they can cut me an early bird deal, the answer was simply: nope 
evil_smiley.gif

They have a particular frigid business style. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #13,282 of 75,133
where can we buy the Shozy BK aside from taobao? Been trying to search via AE but inexistent. Someone please help. Thanks.

I bought from Penon at $149. It has reached my nearest post office :)

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #13,284 of 75,133
  Does anyone use sound isolating earmuffs with earbuds?

My guess is most here (everyone?) have over ear headphones in addition to earbuds. I love my earbuds but only for use in quiet places since I keep the volume at lower levels. I'm going to pick up a pair of "ClearArmor 141001 Safety Ear Muffs " or similar. I have jobs where I'm right next to live music and earplugs don't cut it. I also reckon they'd be good for use with earbuds, and comments from Amazon say that is possible. Of course it would change the sound for better or worse. Likely worse.

I've been testing sound isolating earmuffs for the last few days. I ended up going with Howard Leight Leightning LOF no. 1013461, I chose these because they are light weight, slim compared to others, look similar to headphones, and are inexpensive. I tested with Monk+ (MP).

Sound: I listened to acoustic, electronic and classical music. At low volumes the MP was very usable. I was walking outdoors in the city.
Comfort: I only wore them for 45 minutes at a stretch and not sure if I'd want to wear longer. They fit snugly and my ears got hot. The outdoor temperature was 54F/12C. During the winter they can function as pretty earmuffs to keep ears warm. But I don't think they will be suitable for hot or temperate weather. 
Fit: The headband is wide and adjustable. They can be adjusted to proper height. There is adequate depth to fit standard shell earbud comfortably. Larger earbuds probably won't fit.
Cost: The model tested cost approximately USD$21. Some cost less and others up to $50. Avoid earmuffs that use batteries.
Sound Isolation: Is it dangerous to wear these outdoors? Maybe. the Noise Reduction Rating is 23 for this particular set. Others are higher. 23 is in the ballpark of a standard foam earplug. Low frequency sound can be heard - trucks, helicopters, etc. but at reduced level.
Glasses: Pads are pliant foam so surprisingly comfortable with sunglasses and distance glasses that I tried.
Flying: Haven't tried it but I certainly will in the near future.
Weight and Size: This particular model is very light weight and folds to a compact size. A case isn't included.

Conclusion: If you really want to use your earbuds outdoors in urban environment, sound isolating earmuffs may be an option for minimal duration use. I wouldn't want to wear these for 8 hours, but occupations such as construction require longer duration use.  Traditional headphones can be more comfortable but I doubt they offer the same level of sound isolation. Using sound isolating earmuffs is a mixed bag. I don't suggest you get them unless you have another use - such as what they are intended for - protecting your hearing during noisy activities. If you have a dream to wear earbuds outdoors in noisy environments, you may just want to go for it!

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #13,285 of 75,133

Your e18 should do the 650s just as easilt as the 150s. Its the middle ones that are harder to drive.

I've been waffling back and forth on whether or not to order the TY HP-650 or go for something else, maybe a Cygnus or one of the MusicMaker earbuds, but after reading your review of the HP-650 today I went ahead and ordered it. Primarily because it sounds like it can be decently driven out of a wide variety of sources and works with a wide variety of musical genres (I listen to a pretty wide variety, more than the Masya is suited for). It also sounds like I won't be disappointed with its soundstage and detail, and since I'm not a bass-head I think I'll be perfectly fine with it's quantity.

I'll let the folks here know what I think of it after it arrives, which probably won't be for another 3 weeks at least.

I'm going to get a MusicMaker Tomahawk at some point here still, but I figured I'd just continue my dive into the deep end at the moment. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #13,286 of 75,133
Received K's 500 today. The cable is quite noisy where it enters the earbud housing (creaking/klicking sound). Is this a common issue with K500?

My K's 500 arrived today as well. I can notice some creaking/clicking if I twist and turn the cable (version 2).

Other than that, all I can say is dat bass!
Seriously the bass is from another planet.
basshead.gif

And that is straight from my iPhone.
Let's see how well it will scale with some amping

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #13,287 of 75,133
Shozy answers very quickly on Facebook. I've done it, Stardust is coming! (They're sending out in 1-2 weeks and the price will go up slightly after pre-order time)

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #13,288 of 75,133

My K's 500 arrived today as well. I can notice some creaking/clicking if I twist and turn the cable (version 2).

Ok, thanks, mine is version 2 as well, and I just need to move the head a little to get the cable noise. Anyway, I am going to let it burn-in for a few days, and then I will look at, what can be done about the cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back