Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 11, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #1,217 of 74,630
Try Blox BE3 38 Ohm, BE5 24 Ohm :sunglasses:

For now I'm a little concerned about resistance higher than 19. Need to know more in depth first as to why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing with my PK3.

I think the sensitivity really means that you should get the full  dynamic range at lower volume/voltage, including the quiet parts-  What are you listening with? I don't think any device should have trouble driving anything with those specs.

Have you tried holding the buds with different positioning in you ears? are you using foams? Sorry if it is super obvious to you- Just recently got my first earbuds in a long time and have found that can very dramatically affect the sound (not to mention reports of the Baldoor becoming a magical unicorn killer if you pinch and fold your ears in just the right way
biggrin.gif
). How does the shape compare to your other buds? May just be a bad fit for you.

I have not heard the PK3, but I think the CM707 sound very nice for piano, vocal parts- if you like 'clear sound' of the PK3, they might not be the best choice, because the highs and details can sound a little recessed on the 707- if you don't mind using EQ they can be corrected.

Yes I understand that about sensitivity, except that I have a feeling high resistance don't work well with high sensitivity. The high resistance causes the soft piano to sound constipated, which will sound normal when you turn the volume up. But with such volume, some parts with more energy suddenly sound too piercing due to high sensitivity. This is what I can explain, as a newbie. I would welcome any other explanations as to why I would be experiencing what I'm experiencing. I'm listening with my smartphone (will always be smartphone), which is currently Samsung S4.

Yup, I tried different positioning, the difference is as good as negligent. I'm not using foams as I'm very comfortable with how it fits, though I did try using one, and I felt that lots of details are lost.

I find that the PK3 does deliver most instruments very beautifully, including piano. The only problem is the vast volume difference between softer and louder parts. So if the CM707 indeed doesn't have such issue (which shouldn't, from my own theory of lower resistance and sensitivity) then I should be fine with it. I don't mind using EQ, I'm currently using it.
Speaking of EQ, this is how I meddled with it for all my earbuds. Though with slight difference between each earbuds, I always prefer to have more bass and treble. I left 500 untouched, while boosting up 31 the most, followed by 8k, and then followed by 62, 16k and 4k at almost same level with each other. The rest I just boost a little bit. In other words, 250-2k are almost untouched. Generally I don't like the sound that these ranges produced. Hope this gives more insight to my musical preference, and whether CM707 is still a good choice.

As always, thanks for the attention!

Jul 11, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #1,220 of 74,630

For now I'm a little concerned about resistance higher than 19. Need to know more in depth first as to why I'm experiencing what I'm experiencing with my PK3.

Yes I understand that about sensitivity, except that I have a feeling high resistance don't work well with high sensitivity. The high resistance causes the soft piano to sound constipated, which will sound normal when you turn the volume up. But with such volume, some parts with more energy suddenly sound too piercing due to high sensitivity. This is what I can explain, as a newbie. I would welcome any other explanations as to why I would be experiencing what I'm experiencing. I'm listening with my smartphone (will always be smartphone), which is currently Samsung S4.

Yup, I tried different positioning, the difference is as good as negligent. I'm not using foams as I'm very comfortable with how it fits, though I did try using one, and I felt that lots of details are lost.

I find that the PK3 does deliver most instruments very beautifully, including piano. The only problem is the vast volume difference between softer and louder parts. So if the CM707 indeed doesn't have such issue (which shouldn't, from my own theory of lower resistance and sensitivity) then I should be fine with it. I don't mind using EQ, I'm currently using it.
Speaking of EQ, this is how I meddled with it for all my earbuds. Though with slight difference between each earbuds, I always prefer to have more bass and treble. I left 500 untouched, while boosting up 31 the most, followed by 8k, and then followed by 62, 16k and 4k at almost same level with each other. The rest I just boost a little bit. In other words, 250-2k are almost untouched. Generally I don't like the sound that these ranges produced. Hope this gives more insight to my musical preference, and whether CM707 is still a good choice.

As always, thanks for the attention!

This is well past my level of understanding, but I think you may be reading too directly into impedance- there are many additional factors which would contribute to your experience of excessive dynamic range, including the actual intended tuning of the pk3, how it interacts with your device, etc.. - by which  I mean you could try a different headphone with the same ratings that produces completely different dynamics.

The S4 should be well capable of avoiding any such impedance related problems (i.e. constrained piano at lower volumes) at that level-  Interestngly, did a quick search and saw some posts saying the S4 actually had a problem with lower impedances that produced some distortion/peakiness in the higher frequencies, which seems to have been addressed in a firmware update- might be worth checking that your device is updated- though idk if the actual problems produced would be audible or have any bearing on your situtation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43868988&postcount=849

I do not experience exaggerated dynamics with the CM707, but it could just be my ears are used to that type of sound- I tend to be a fairly low volume listener as well. It is however, somewhat 'warm' sounding, which might be a problem for you in that low to midrange area- although I also have a bit of a preference for  'v or u-shaped' signatures- fortunately I am "blessed" with a very short audio memory and adapt to new sound quickly (some people it takes a whole week to be used to a headphone)- I mostly listen to it flat, will occasionally do a small bump at 6.3k, sometimes 2.5k and 16k with a dip at 400.

side note: I find this chart incredibly helpful in playing around with EQ http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Sorry, wish I had better answers- I'm sure golov17 can suggest some good v or u shaped ones- seems like he tries everything
ph34r.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #1,221 of 74,630
In addition, VE Asura 150 Ohm great playing with my Meizu MX2 without power amp.. Volume 50℅

VE Asura looks very interesting, but is it the predecessor to Zen? I can't find it on sales anywhere.
  This is well past my level of understanding, but I think you may be reading too directly into impedance- there are many additional factors which would contribute to your experience of excessive dynamic range, including the actual intended tuning of the pk3, how it interacts with your device, etc.. - by which  I mean you could try a different headphone with the same ratings that produces completely different dynamics.

The S4 should be well capable of avoiding any such impedance related problems (i.e. constrained piano at lower volumes) at that level-  Interestngly, did a quick search and saw some posts saying the S4 actually had a problem with lower impedances that produced some distortion/peakiness in the higher frequencies, which seems to have been addressed in a firmware update- might be worth checking that your device is updated- though idk if the actual problems produced would be audible or have any bearing on your situtation: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=43868988&postcount=849

I do not experience exaggerated dynamics with the CM707, but it could just be my ears are used to that type of sound- I tend to be a fairly low volume listener as well. It is however, somewhat 'warm' sounding, which might be a problem for you in that low to midrange area- although I also have a bit of a preference for  'v or u-shaped' signatures- fortunately I am "blessed" with a very short audio memory and adapt to new sound quickly (some people it takes a whole week to be used to a headphone)- I mostly listen to it flat, will occasionally do a small bump at 6.3k, sometimes 2.5k and 16k with a dip at 400.

side note: I find this chart incredibly helpful in playing around with EQ http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Sorry, wish I had better answers- I'm sure golov17 can suggest some good v or u shaped ones- seems like he tries everything
ph34r.gif

My S4 is actually LTE-A model rather than the regular one, but regardless, it is already at lollipop.
Ah yes, I guess I don't like where CM707 is being focused at. That frequency chart doesn't help as I have too many types of songs with all different instruments. I just adjust the equalizer to suit as many songs as possible, though songs like techno and electro seems to be easily sounds good.

Anyways, to slightly counter the piercing issue, I reduce the 8k slider. While to address the vocal issues, instead of having 500 as default, I have the lowest and highest of midrange (250 and 2k) at default, and slightly boost everything in between. So now, the overall pattern looks like W instead of V or U. This really made more songs sound much better, though I don't see anyone talking about W signature. 
confused_face.gif

Overall, I still feel that this PK3 really wants you to keep adjusting your volume. Furthermore I am already using ReplayGain to level out the volume of all songs. Without ReplayGain, it's much worse.

I think I'll be more willing to freely buy and try out more earphones after completing my studies 2 years later. For now, if possible, I would look for something that suit my taste and is also the best bang for bucks. When it comes to this, I tend to look more at Audio Technica stuffs due to the amazing exchange rate of Japan Yen. Afterall, the CM707 cost over USD100 2 years+ back and is now literally half price mainly due to the exchange rate.

If not, I shall just spend this 2 years learning more about earbuds-related and relevant musical stuffs ^^

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,226 of 74,630
Golov, how do you find Sennheiser PX-100?
I find it lacking a lot of air/highs, and too much forward sounding, like there's not distance between you and the stage. 
They're not sweet at all, they're harsh sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back