Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 31, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #676 of 75,126
OK, so I've found a place here in UK which sells the OMX980 for only £75.00, and I bought them on a hunch.

They arrived about an hour ago.

First up, the packaging is just beautiful - a real class act. And as someone else pointed out elsewhere, it takes bloody ages to get into the thing!  A lovely treat for those who get their kicks unboxing their gifts....

That sheer class extends to the OMX980s themselves.  I love the quality of these things - they exude love and attention to detail.  How about that adjustable silver jack? There's a very cool art deco aesthetic going on with the design of these, I feel

The acid test, of course, comes when you put them on the old ear holes.  Bingo! With the foams placed on (according to the - again, classy - manual, the foams are recommended for optimum sound), the buds fit secure as anything into my ears, and the ear hooks hinge behind my ears with ease.  Can hardly feel the things once they're on - and crucially, if I move my head, there's absolutely zero movement from the buds. Excellent - definitely the best fit I've ever had from an earbud,

So, how do they sound? Plugged straight into my HTC One M8, I hit play on a few test tracks. 

Woah! Are these full size headphones?  Seriously, these sound better than any IEM I've tried over the years, even those costing 5 times the amount. And while I'm not into headphones themselves, I've tested a fair few before. While it's very early days, I can tell right out the box the OMX980s will become a new drug for me.

Clarity is just wonderful, really transparent.  Bass is unbelievable for an earbud, really present and correct but totally balanced with the rest of the spectrum.  Mids are just where they need to be too.  Soundstage is full of depth and separation, with a beautiful sense of space and the 'room' the music is taking place in.  That's why I think the rise and rise of IEMs is a bit depressing - I've never had this openness and airiness from an IEM before.

Everything just seems 'right' about these things. The honeymoon flush of a new toy? Hmm, I hope not! But let's see. Certainly, straight from the box - well, not even the box, the padded envelope really - the OMX980s have got me excited to go through all my music again.

Good stuff. Thanks to all of you who have pointed the way and continued to shine that light in the growing darkness.

Nov 2, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #678 of 75,126
OK, so I've found a place here in UK which sells the OMX980 for only £75.00, and I bought them on a hunch.

They arrived about an hour ago.

First up, the packaging is just beautiful - a real class act. And as someone else pointed out elsewhere, it takes bloody ages to get into the thing!  A lovely treat for those who get their kicks unboxing their gifts....

That sheer class extends to the OMX980s themselves.  I love the quality of these things - they exude love and attention to detail.  How about that adjustable silver jack? There's a very cool art deco aesthetic going on with the design of these, I feel

The acid test, of course, comes when you put them on the old ear holes.  Bingo! With the foams placed on (according to the - again, classy - manual, the foams are recommended for optimum sound), the buds fit secure as anything into my ears, and the ear hooks hinge behind my ears with ease.  Can hardly feel the things once they're on - and crucially, if I move my head, there's absolutely zero movement from the buds. Excellent - definitely the best fit I've ever had from an earbud,

So, how do they sound? Plugged straight into my HTC One M8, I hit play on a few test tracks. 

Woah! Are these full size headphones?  Seriously, these sound better than any IEM I've tried over the years, even those costing 5 times the amount. And while I'm not into headphones themselves, I've tested a fair few before. While it's very early days, I can tell right out the box the OMX980s will become a new drug for me.

Clarity is just wonderful, really transparent.  Bass is unbelievable for an earbud, really present and correct but totally balanced with the rest of the spectrum.  Mids are just where they need to be too.  Soundstage is full of depth and separation, with a beautiful sense of space and the 'room' the music is taking place in.  That's why I think the rise and rise of IEMs is a bit depressing - I've never had this openness and airiness from an IEM before.

Everything just seems 'right' about these things. The honeymoon flush of a new toy? Hmm, I hope not! But let's see. Certainly, straight from the box - well, not even the box, the padded envelope really - the OMX980s have got me excited to go through all my music again.

Good stuff. Thanks to all of you who have pointed the way and continued to shine that light in the growing darkness.

I'm glad the OMX980 worked out for you! I knew you'd love the sound but wasn't sure about the fit since everybody's ears are different. Happy listening!

Nov 2, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #679 of 75,126
I'm glad the OMX980 worked out for you! I knew you'd love the sound but wasn't sure about the fit since everybody's ears are different. Happy listening!

Thanks. I seem to have pretty standard size ears, based on experience with IEMs. But I was a little nervous reading all the reports of poor fit with the MX980s. I can see how they might not be snug for smaller ears. But the OMX980 have the flexible ear hooks which really do help keep the buds secure and unmoveable, so perhaps Sennheiser produced them in response to criticism? Either way, I am really loving the fact that I don't have to fiddle around with different tips or the fit with these - just plug and play, pretty much.

For only £75 these offer ridiculously beautiful build and sound quality. I am, as we say here, dead chuffed.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #689 of 75,126
Thanks for the recommendation. I have had these Pioneer earbuds for a week now and the Pioneer SE-CE521-K have blown me away. Unbelieveably good sound for only £10.

I want to give a new recommendation, VE MONK $ 10, will be available soon on AliExpress. Although I have a pre-release version from the manufacturer, they are amazing for a low price, 32 ohm

Great, have to buy both of these now.   Thank goodness they are both not too pricey though.

Apr 11, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #690 of 75,126
Just doing some light thread-crapping...if you're in the US and interested in trying the new VE Zen and Asura earbuds, join the tour!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/760065/ve-zen-and-asura-usa-tour#post_11497331

Users who are viewing this thread

Back