Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 4, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #61,741 of 75,069
In a totally unrelated note... (not sure how to properly do this)
I saw in your signature that you have inorvin Hanna? what's your thought on it?
I enjoy the Hanna a lot. It was my first bud purchase this year into this rabbit hole. It has a very warm signature, good for a lot of genres. It does well with edm, hip hop, and metal more than others due to the bass and sub bass which Hanna has a good amount of.

It is not currently in my daily van nuys case due to enjoying my 2 new Blur's but definitely one that will make a return because of its ability to handle so much so well.

My only negative and it's a personal preference thing is that it does use the red silicone ring for the R indicator. I have thought about using some epoxy or similar to keep it from free falling.

Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2022 at 2:27 AM Post #61,742 of 75,069
hm... interesting. Since locally seems like it's not getting talked about much. I'll keep an eye out for it.
also interesting is that you said it's very warm while rholupat (distributor) describes hanna as neutral.

sound is indeed a subjective thing. (and i might need to make a mental note to be careful of things rholupat describes as warm).

Jul 5, 2022 at 5:52 AM Post #61,743 of 75,069
After some reading of WoodyLuvr posts, i ordered a pair of Yinman 600...i'm am quite hyped, i must admit!
Damn, 600ohms. I think i'll have to use some serious amping to get those beasts to sing!

Jul 5, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #61,744 of 75,069
I finally had to bite the bullet and quite painstakingly transferred my ꟻ⅃ATHEAD TIME⅃IИƎ to a publicly shared Google doc.

The timeline is now searchable and I do believe in a much friendlier reviewing format now. I will gradually expand this document to include dedicated timelines for specific brands and additional data sets and points related to flatheads. Let me know what you all think, negative or positive, I do not mind as I take constructive criticism well and will seriously mull over and thoughtfully consider any/all complaints, ideas, corrections, changes, etc. Please let me know of any access issues; thank you.

The timeline is now at 2,536!!! only a few hundred more to go as I know there are a good number of some missing junk models from Panasonic, JVC, Philips, etc. and a fair number of custom DIY models from small shops across the globe that the timeline needs to capture.

So without further ado I present:

FLATHEAD TIMELINE by WoodyLuvr

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17e-hSsj5Gu1KrycCvLETCK3VbMaV_IhXnE_Ibp2z50U/edit?usp=sharing
wow. Good Job! We appreciate all the work you've done.

Jul 5, 2022 at 7:41 PM Post #61,745 of 75,069
Well, I got my Smabat M2s Pro drivers today (4 of the 5). I haven't done any extensive listening as of yet, but OOTB my thoughts are that they actually all sound very similar. I don't think that any one of them has more quantity of bass than the others (even the 150 Ohms driver). To my ears the differences are in the presence region (and the graphs on the package also show this). While they are all boosted in the area, some more than others. Because of this, I believe that that gives the impression that there is more quantity of bass for them. Now that isn't to say that they don't sound different because they do. But remember, I have had no time on any one of them beyond initial listening. Also, because the nature of the way buds are, the differences (such as LCP, Dome, etc...) will be very subtle anyhow IMHO.

I will have to give them some more time before making a decision as to which I like best though. But, I CAN say this, now that I have both the 150 Ohm driver, and the ST10S Gold, they are not really even similar in sound. I suspect this probably has much more to do with the shell than with the driver. For instance, the ST10S has quite a bit more sub-bass comparatively speaking. Because of this, it also makes the boosted pina gain seem much less, therefore more balanced to my ears (until one starts moving up in volume).

Also, I was not able to audition the 32 Ohm fiber membrane driver because one of them was DOA. I fear this one is going to be an issue, because I will not pay shipping back to China from the US for a $10 driver. At the same time, I don't think Smabat will either pay for shipping or send a new one out. And I can't force them to do anything. Although I did get them through Aliexpress, so maybe I could file a dispute I suppose. Bottom line is that either way it goes, if I DO get new ones, it will be a long time from now I am sure. All of this is conjecture though, and I may be pleasantly surprised (though my experience with Chinese companies has not been good when I DO have an issue).

Jul 5, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #61,746 of 75,069
Well, I got my Smabat M2s Pro drivers today (4 of the 5). I haven't done any extensive listening as of yet, but OOTB my thoughts are that they actually all sound very similar. I don't think that any one of them has more quantity of bass than the others (even the 150 Ohms driver). To my ears the differences are in the presence region (and the graphs on the package also show this). While they are all boosted in the area, some more than others. Because of this, I believe that that gives the impression that there is more quantity of bass for them. Now that isn't to say that they don't sound different because they do. But remember, I have had no time on any one of them beyond initial listening. Also, because the nature of the way buds are, the differences (such as LCP, Dome, etc...) will be very subtle anyhow IMHO.

I will have to give them some more time before making a decision as to which I like best though. But, I CAN say this, now that I have both the 150 Ohm driver, and the ST10S Gold, they are not really even similar in sound. I suspect this probably has much more to do with the shell than with the driver. For instance, the ST10S has quite a bit more sub-bass comparatively speaking. Because of this, it also makes the boosted pina gain seem much less, therefore more balanced to my ears (until one starts moving up in volume).

Also, I was not able to audition the 32 Ohm fiber membrane driver because one of them was DOA. I fear this one is going to be an issue, because I will not pay shipping back to China from the US for a $10 driver. At the same time, I don't think Smabat will either pay for shipping or send a new one out. And I can't force them to do anything. Although I did get them through Aliexpress, so maybe I could file a dispute I suppose. Bottom line is that either way it goes, if I DO get new ones, it will be a long time from now I am sure. All of this is conjecture though, and I may be pleasantly surprised (though my experience with Chinese companies has not been good when I DO have an issue).
Please share your thought more on this, greatly appreciate it.

Jul 6, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #61,747 of 75,069

Did you notice differences in soundstage?

they do sound more similar than different.

that 32 bio may not be dead…. That connector is a weak point in the design. Their newer modular system seemingly aims to fix that.

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #61,748 of 75,069
Did you notice differences in soundstage?

they do sound more similar than different.

that 32 bio may not be dead…. That connector is a weak point in the design. Their newer modular system seemingly aims to fix that.
Oh yes, I have noticed differences with that. I think that the Super One driver (100 Ohm) probably has the widest of them with the M2s Pro (so far as I can tell in early listening). Whereas the 150 Ohm driver seems to be a bit closer. The 40 LCP seems to be right in the middle. Since getting the new drivers, I haven't put back in the 40 dome (stock) to compare, though at some point I will also add that one into the mix.

You are right, they DO sound more similar than different. Honestly (and so far), they all sound like the same driver with a small tweak to tuning. As far as the ST10S and the 150 Ohm driver, I would also say that they are more similar than different, but to my ears, they have the most difference in sound between all the drivers tested.

I tried the 32 bio on both sides of the buds, and it was dead on the same bud on both sides. I even tried revisiting it later, to the same effect. Did you have something else in mind to look into?

Jul 6, 2022 at 1:57 PM Post #61,749 of 75,069

If you bought the drivers from their official AliExpress store use the "message center" and write them your problem. I had a similar experience months ago and they immediately sent me a replacement product without asking for anything back (the only small thing is that they made me make a small purchase of 1$ to get the tracking info). From my personal experience I can say that Smabat is the Chinese company with the best customer support I have ever found.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #61,750 of 75,069
If you bought the drivers from their official AliExpress store use the "message center" and write them your problem. I had a similar experience months ago and they immediately sent me a replacement product without asking for anything back (the only small thing is that they made me make a small purchase of 1$ to get the tracking info). From my personal experience I can say that Smabat is the Chinese company with the best customer support I have ever found.
That is good to hear. Thanks for sharing! :)

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #61,751 of 75,069
Still in the plastic wrap, will open it soon...

Carly Simon:

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'...

FiiO FF3.jpg

Jul 6, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #61,752 of 75,069
Still in the plastic wrap, will open it soon...

Carly Simon:

Anticipation, anticipation
Is makin' me late
Is keepin' me waitin'...

FiiO FF3.jpg
Sweet! You'll have to fill us in on how they sound, feel, look, etc...?!

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:11 AM Post #61,753 of 75,069
Oh yes, I have noticed differences with that. I think that the Super One driver (100 Ohm) probably has the widest of them with the M2s Pro (so far as I can tell in early listening). Whereas the 150 Ohm driver seems to be a bit closer. The 40 LCP seems to be right in the middle. Since getting the new drivers, I haven't put back in the 40 dome (stock) to compare, though at some point I will also add that one into the mix.

You are right, they DO sound more similar than different. Honestly (and so far), they all sound like the same driver with a small tweak to tuning. As far as the ST10S and the 150 Ohm driver, I would also say that they are more similar than different, but to my ears, they have the most difference in sound between all the drivers tested.

I tried the 32 bio on both sides of the buds, and it was dead on the same bud on both sides. I even tried revisiting it later, to the same effect. Did you have something else in mind to look into?
Me personally, I’d just desolder all the connectors and make connections old-school. Those connectors really aren’t very good. I’d actually say they are the least consistent of any electronic connector I’ve ever used. Soldering bud drivers is so easy and basic tunings are even easier. You are a clever guy, I’d bet you could beat what SMABAT has done tuning-wise in less than a week with supplies. Soldering is your best bet in the M2s pro. All of mine that weren’t working actually work(ed) when the connectors were removed.

Jul 7, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #61,754 of 75,069
I have also gotten good support from SMABAT.

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #61,755 of 75,069
Me personally, I’d just desolder all the connectors and make connections old-school. Those connectors really aren’t very good. I’d actually say they are the least consistent of any electronic connector I’ve ever used. Soldering bud drivers is so easy and basic tunings are even easier. You are a clever guy, I’d bet you could beat what SMABAT has done tuning-wise in less than a week with supplies. Soldering is your best bet in the M2s pro. All of mine that weren’t working actually work(ed) when the connectors were removed.
I wouldn't mind that idea, except that it would be a royal PITA to change drivers "on the whim"... :) Fortunately for me it is just the one driver that isn't working ATM... From what I have read about it, it is supposed to be the most "top heavy" of them all, so I may not care that much about it. 🤷‍♂️

Really? I didn't know it was that easy to DIY tune those drivers. Maybe I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Well, I sent them a message through Aliexpress yesterday. They haven't read it yet. We'll see how it goes?! LOL

On another note, my New Yinman 600 should be arriving today. I am pretty excited! Thanks @WoodyLuvr for unwittingly recommending them to me. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back