Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 13, 2021 at 1:05 AM Post #57,136 of 75,077
Sweet! So you have the thick silicone rings under the foamies? How much different does that sound than with foams only? I haven't tried that combination yet.

FNM, yep!
Yep, donut foam over the thick silicone rings. I think it brings more body to the mids and lower bass, which I thought was missing with just the foams. Probably brings out the diameter and offsets the BA a bit; I'd imagine that and the foam help break up some of the shout.

Center image (when using the SR25) is smack-dab between the eyes, though, and either walks towards the center of your brain or out in front of you. Exactly where I like it to be, though lateral imaging isn't the best (would venture to say even the FAAEAL handle that a bit better). The Alpha 1 seem to go for the diffuse-it-wide method, at least in this configuration, which I don't mind here at all.

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #57,137 of 75,077
If you have noticed that it is fading, it is probably time, though you might eke out some more time from it if you are bound and determined. One suggestion though, buy the battery now just in case they get discontinued or something like that (sure it won't but one never knows). If you plan on having it for a long time, I might even buy two of them, and just make sure the one you DON'T use is charged up to about 50%. You can keep lithium batteries for something like 5-7 years in this state without worry of damage or drain. I even used to store my lithium batteries for my RC cars in the refrigerator (lithium likes the cold when not dead or fully charged). Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out for you?!

You are most welcome! That is what we are all here for (ultimately to enjoy sound, and to help others do the same).
I have already placed the order :) I'm still banking on some company making a similar amp some day in the future. I only hope I'm not a fool. This battery has lasted at least a decade though......

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #57,138 of 75,077
I'm curious how they compare to your Zens.

Sure, in the due time, comparitions and a small "review" will be done. Still trying them and having an honeymoon phase. In the first two hours, my brain was just processing the Blurs since the amount of detail and the tuning is over nine thousand.

The reason I've been holding on my opinions of the Zen 2.0 is quite simple: I bought it because of the RAP5 deal, but the RAP5 has not arrived yet. It's on my country already, but I guess VE's courier is just slow at going through customs (Blurs arrived in 2 work days with Fedex lol - Signapure to Portugal). The zen is a very power hungry earbud and tuned to be ran from VE's AMPs. That's why I'm holding my full impressions, so I can hear it with the tuned AMP.

So far my brain tells me these two blow everything out of the water, but time will tell. I'll keep using them during the weekend!

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #57,139 of 75,077
Much to my surprise my A5 is not the best match for the Zen Lite: it’s older brother, theE12 Monte Blanc is! .. ...My favorite two amps generally speaking (the A5 and the B4X) sound too dark with these. Every time I find something that works really well with the E12 I get stricken with grief. Its battery life is definitely fading now and I’m afraid I’m not skilled enough to replace it. I will certainly try when the time comes.
I am reading that this is much like my Fiio Portable amps (E17 Alpen, and E17K Alpen II) that basically require you to take a few screws out. Looks like you will need to also remove the bass boost knob with some needle nosed plyers. Here is a quote explaining the process (somewhat): which is from this thread:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-to-open-a-fiio-e12.721585/#post-10602240

And here is a replacement battery (I can't speak to the reputation of the site or the battery, this is just the search results I have come up with):https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001250697344.html

Fiio says they aren't user replaceable, but they didn't glue stuff together like cell phones of today, they still have good ole' screws so this should really be a piece of cake to DIY.
That actually looks much easier than I figured! Now to decide wether to take the plunge. The Zen Lite are worth it.
Indeed it was! I replaced the batteries in a number of my older FiiO head amps without issue (E12A; A5). Don't know if my older eyes and unsteady hands could do it now but it wasn't very hard to do as @samandhi has correctly intimated.

Aug 13, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #57,140 of 75,077
The Iris 2.0 arrived and it did not wow me. So back to my beloved F150c. Billie Ellish tracks just sound so good, creepy and mesmerizing on it. :L3000: And the waiting for the others continues...

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #57,141 of 75,077
Sure, in the due time, comparitions and a small "review" will be done. Still trying them and having an honeymoon phase. In the first two hours, my brain was just processing the Blurs since the amount of detail and the tuning is over nine thousand.

The reason I've been holding on my opinions of the Zen 2.0 is quite simple: I bought it because of the RAP5 deal, but the RAP5 has not arrived yet. It's on my country already, but I guess VE's courier is just slow at going through customs (Blurs arrived in 2 work days with Fedex lol - Signapure to Portugal). The zen is a very power hungry earbud and tuned to be ran from VE's AMPs. That's why I'm holding my full impressions, so I can hear it with the tuned AMP.

So far my brain tells me these two blow everything out of the water, but time will tell. I'll keep using them during the weekend!
Have you tried the Zen 2.0 with any of the other dac/amps you have at hand? Eager to read your impressions of it against the Blurs. Even without the RAP5.

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #57,142 of 75,077
Have you tried the Zen 2.0 with any of the other dac/amps you have at hand? Eager to read your impressions of it against the Blurs. Even without the RAP5.

Yes, I did. I have my zen 2.0 for a month now. Used it with my M3X and Btr5. I can do that, but only next week. Going back to my home city for a family weding and only packed the Blurs and the Land.

Can advance you tho, that the best quality of the zens is the air and the detail on them. They were tuned to sound like open back cans, and they really do.
You see, my problem now is that my blurs have more detail and sound like speakers, in comparition... Hell, they even compete with my TSMR Lands in detail, and this are detail monsters.

Both my Blurs were picked with 2 signatures in mind.
One more "Fun", with good bass and treble, without recessing mids, easy to drive with a 3.5mm so I can carry around and a PK shell to be more confortable to my ears.
The other one is the more critical/analytical one. I love this type of phones for female voices, and then I found there was a Special Tuning Edition, very good for this job, so I ordered aswell.

First impressions tell me that the blurs will boil every bud I own, out of the water.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #57,143 of 75,077
Yes, I did. I have my zen 2.0 for a month now. Used it with my M3X and Btr5. I can do that, but only next week. Going back to my home city for a family weding and only packed the Blurs and the Land.

Can advance you tho, that the best quality of the zens is the air and the detail on them. They were tuned to sound like open back cans, and they really do.
You see, my problem now is that my blurs have more detail and sound like speakers, in comparition... Hell, they even compete with my TSMR Lands in detail, and this are detail monsters.

Both my Blurs were picked with 2 signatures in mind.
One more "Fun", with good bass and treble, without recessing mids, easy to drive with a 3.5mm so I can carry around and a PK shell to be more confortable to my ears.
The other one is the more critical/analytical one. I love this type of phones for female voices, and then I found there was a Special Tuning Edition, very good for this job, so I ordered aswell.

First impressions tell me that the blurs will boil every bud I own, out of the water.
Thanks for this. So TL;DR is: Blurs > Zen 2.0, correct?

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #57,144 of 75,077
Thanks for this. So TL;DR is: Blurs > Zen 2.0, correct?

If you gonna buy a pair, yes, get a Blur that matches what you want it for. Mr. Wong is a magician. Can't see a reason yet to be the other way around, tbh. Keep in mind I only own the blurs for 24h.

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #57,145 of 75,077
I am reading that this is much like my Fiio Portable amps (E17 Alpen, and E17K Alpen II) that basically require you to take a few screws out. Looks like you will need to also remove the bass boost knob with some needle nosed plyers. Here is a quote explaining the process (somewhat): which is from this thread:https://www.head-fi.org/threads/how-to-open-a-fiio-e12.721585/#post-10602240

And here is a replacement battery (I can't speak to the reputation of the site or the battery, this is just the search results I have come up with):https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001250697344.html

Fiio says they aren't user replaceable, but they didn't glue stuff together like cell phones of today, they still have good ole' screws so this should really be a piece of cake to DIY.

Cheers!

Thanks for that. I have the "pre-production" version of the E12 which has a nice elevated "sub-bass" bass boost which I love. It's nice to know I can replace the battery on this classic amp! I think I'll take your advice and buy one of those batteries now for when I need it.

Smabat ST10s sounding awesome through it :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #57,146 of 75,077
Aug 13, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #57,147 of 75,077
Thanks for that. I have the "pre-production" version of the E12 which has a nice elevated "sub-bass" bass boost which I love. It's nice to know I can replace the battery on this classic amp! I think I'll take your advice and buy one of those batteries now for when I need it.

Smabat ST10s sounding awesome through it :)

Speaking of 'classic' amps/dacs, anyone here still using the Fiio Q1 Mark 1?

Aug 13, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #57,148 of 75,077
Speaking of 'classic' amps/dacs, anyone here still using the Fiio Q1 Mark 1?
Sorry. The E17K Alpen and the E17K Alpen II are the only two I currently have. But I still have my Fiio DAPs (X5 first gen, and X3II).

On another note, is your avatar picture of the Xioami Piston II? I still have both pairs I bought (seems like) many years ago. I think those were the first Beryllium drivers on the market (before Chi-Fi was a thing). I think they were affectionately known as Budget-Fi... :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #57,149 of 75,077
Sorry. The E17K Alpen and the E17K Alpen II are the only two I currently have. But I still have my Fiio DAPs (X5 first gen, and X3II).

On another note, is your avatar picture of the Xioami Piston II? I still have both pairs I bought (seems like) many years ago. I think those were the first Beryllium drivers on the market (before Chi-Fi was a thing). I think they were affectionately known as Budget-Fi... :)
Haha, yes, you're spot on! It is the Piston II indeed. One of my very first purchases way back then. And, yup...'budget fi' was all the rage at the time! Haha, makes me smile thinking about it. Things have changed so much since then, haven't they? Good eye, matey.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #57,150 of 75,077
Haha, yes, you're spot on! It is the Piston II indeed. One of my very first purchases way back then. And, yup...'budget fi' was all the rage at the time! Haha, makes me smile thinking about it. Things have changed so much since then, haven't they? Good eye, matey.
Very nice! Do you still have them? I actually still listen to mine sometimes. They really did have amazing sound for something like $12. I had the silver and white ones, and the brown and copper one (with the chocolate smell in the case)... :)

I still use the extra tips from the white pair on my iBasso IT07..
20210701_154653.jpg
XioamiPistonII.jpg

They have indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back