Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 13, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #54,961 of 75,145
Anybody? Or vs 400 ohm drivers.
DIY 500ohm graphene driver is slightly better than DIY 400ohm graphene. Either of these two you choose, you will not regret.
I own 400ohm and 600ohm beryllium, they both very good, but @Themilkman46290 said that 500ohm is the best of these DIY high impedance drivers.

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #54,962 of 75,145
Not ignoring you good sir. I am patiently awaiting the following two (2) items before posting:
  • additional feedback from some of our audiophile comrades over on erji.net and a few of the other Chinese audiophile forums
  • return of my Ks Bell-Ti 120Ω earbuds expertly repaired by Wong @ Blur who refused to keep them due to their value but more so because he simply felt bad for me (yes, he is that stellar of a human being indeed!)
So I'm not the only one who think that way :wink: Anyway... I'm happy that Mr. Wong "closed the case":beerchug:
I'm really glad to read that.
:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #54,963 of 75,145
I just wonder why the DQSM Turandot is not getting talked about here anymore. I had good earbuds before from the likes of VE Zen 1.0 and 2.0 and Moondrop Liebesleid. I loved them all for quite some time but in the end I sold them one at a time to be able to buy a new bud. Currently, I have the Turandot and it serves me well for 2 years now. Never had the itch to buy another set of earbuds. However, looking at the posts on this thread is like having a drug that invites you to taste and experience something unknown yet exciting. :)

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #54,964 of 75,145
I just wonder why the DQSM Turandot is not getting talked about here anymore. I had good earbuds before from the likes of VE Zen 1.0 and 2.0 and Moondrop Liebesleid. I loved them all for quite some time but in the end I sold them one at a time to be able to buy a new bud. Currently, I have the Turandot and it serves me well for 2 years now. Never had the itch to buy another set of earbuds. However, looking at the posts on this thread is like having a drug that invites you to taste and experience something unknown yet exciting. :)

Haha shhhhhhhh, I think it is a banned brand on headfi.

U can look at @Slater 's signature for more details on which brands/shops cannot be mentioned on headfi.

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #54,965 of 75,145
Howdy there @jrazmar. Long time no hear (read)!

A couple of reasons... firstly, the brand is banned; secondly, many have found the sound signature of the model to be boring and bright; thirdly, time is not always nice to certain models and brands as others... many have moved onto the "next thing".

Personally, I love(d) my Turandots and never had an issue with them sound wise. I found them to be very relaxing, non-fatiguing with excellent frequency response and absolutely no sibilance to speak (and I am extremely sensitive to bright treble). They were highly recommended to me by @ClieOS who also thinks well of them especially for extended listening sessions. This has lead me to wonder if perhaps there were some quality control issues during production and/or even possibly the implementation of different drivers on certain production runs!

They are so well-loved in my home that a little Siamese has stolen them from me and refuses to return them! And she had a pick of an entire collection and choose the Turandots!

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #54,966 of 75,145

A couple of reasons... firstly, the brand is banned; secondly, many have found the sound signature of the model to be boring and bright; thirdly, time is not always nice to certain models and brands as others... many have moved onto the "next thing".

Personally, I love(d) my Turandots and never had an issue with them sound wise. I found them to be very relaxing, non-fatiguing with excellent frequency response and absolutely no sibilance to speak (and I am extremely sensitive to bright treble). They were highly recommended to me by @ClieOS who also thinks well of them especially for extended listening sessions. This has lead me to wonder if perhaps there were some quality control issues during production and/or even possibly the implementation of different drivers on certain production runs!

They are so well-loved in my home that a little Siamese has stolen them from me and refuses to return them! And she had a pick of an entire collection and choose the Turandots!

I recommend that you do not buy VE's next earbud in case it is stolen again :wink:

Also metal and shiny like the Turandot, this is a photo of the prototype.

ve_pk.jpg

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #54,967 of 75,145
Haha shhhhhhhh, I think it is a banned brand on headfi.

U can look at @Slater 's signature for more details on which brands/shops cannot be mentioned on headfi.
Ohhhh. Sorry my bad sir. I have not been active for quite some time now but still doing some reading every now and then the same as a normal head-fier addict. :) Noted and will not speak of the unspeakable from now on. hahaha

Hey, Woody! Yeah nice to see familiar names here after a long time has passed. Some things never get old.

I really loved the Liebesleid - the timbre, the naturalness, the soundstage, vocals and most specially the treble. I have never heard any other earbuds that nailed that dept other than the Moondrop. It's special and unique. Though the bass is quick and tight, I did not mind because the highs are just majestic and spine-tingling sometimes. However, as time went by, I could feel that the earbuds overall is not totally comfortable. The fact that it's kind of bell-shaped and heavyyyyy, it constantly changes its position while I'm wearing it sitting in the office. Definitely not for outdoor walking/gym and traveling. So then I discovered the Turandot via @ClieOS posts here and got curious - you know. It's like a more relaxed and full sounding Liebesleid. Compared to the Moondrop, the bass is more present but still not a basshead earbuds. Still, I missed the treble from Liebesleid but the one from Turandot is no slouch as well. Not just defined and pristine like the Moondrop. Most of all since the shell is PK-like and it's shinyyyy :), comfort is very good like any other regular earphones. So from then on my comfort problem was solved and overall sonically the experience is satisfying.

Reading through the more recent posts, it seems that the earbuds contenders have changed a little compared to like 2-3 years ago and the cost of the so-called TOTL is strangely very extravagant (>$200). The ranking is no longer a scene here and the approach is more collaborative now. People are sharing their personal experiences and giving their own personal ranking. Some are just simple while others like that of @RikudouGoku is so much more comprehensive, detailed and organized and I like that.

And on to this unending search of sonic bliss and stay safe always...

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #54,969 of 75,145
I see that many of us have different opinions about certain buds, and yes, we all hear differently, but in this case I think mainly due to inconsistent use of the same drivers, i.e. tuning. This is often noticed with cheap models or small brands. For example HE150 or Tingo TG-38s, I saw some comments which indicate that these earbuds are bright.
Also, I am extremely sensitive to bright treble and sibilant sound, and I can't say the same for these buds.

I practice that every new pair of buds/IEMs/headphones push through a one-day break-in process before my first impression, and if I found them to be fatiguing (sibilant, bright, etc) then the break-in period is extended to one or two weeks. The result is not the same for all earbuds but in case of Tingo TG-38s, it really helped to reduce sibilance and open the sound even more.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #54,970 of 75,145
I see that many of us have different opinions about certain buds, and yes, we all hear differently, but in this case I think mainly due to inconsistent use of the same drivers, i.e. tuning. This is often noticed with cheap models or small brands. For example HE150 or Tingo TG-38s, I saw some comments which indicate that these earbuds are bright.
Also, I am extremely sensitive to bright treble and sibilant sound, and I can't say the same for these buds.

I practice that every new pair of buds/IEMs/headphones push through a one-day break-in process before my first impression, and if I found them to be fatiguing (sibilant, bright, etc) then the break-in period is extended to one or two weeks. The result is not the same for all earbuds but in case of Tingo TG-38s, it really helped to reduce sibilance and open the sound even more.
Concur, that and preferred music genre as well.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #54,971 of 75,145

Concur, and hearing health and source used makes a huge difference. And volume played at (Fletcher Munson curve), which is typically not mentioned.

I think another area that is often not mentioned in reviews/impressions is whether full foams or silicone rings or donut foams, or even no foams were used. These foams or lack thereof definitely affect the sound signature.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #54,972 of 75,145
Yes, especially that, and the different sources (smartphones, DAC/Amp and DAP devices) as well

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #54,973 of 75,145
Concur, and hearing health and source used makes a huge difference. And volume played at (Fletcher Munson curve), which is typically not mentioned.

I think another area that is often not mentioned in reviews/impressions is whether full foams or silicone rings or donut foams, or even no foams were used. These foams or lack thereof definitely affect the sound signature.
:beerchug:

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #54,974 of 75,145
Turandot are great headphones, I never thought they were boring, the only problem is that metal front covers are not suitable for our winter climate in Russia, so I sold them, and a few Ling from K's. Hopefully Lee will supply plastic front covers for the upcoming new PK metal case

Jun 14, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #54,975 of 75,145
Turandot are great headphones, I never thought they were boring, the only problem is that metal front covers are not suitable for our winter climate in Russia, so I sold them, and a few Ling from K's. Hopefully Lee will supply plastic front covers for the upcoming new PK metal case
I see it @golov17. Totally opposite here in the Philippines where it's almost always summertime except when it rains or a typhoon comes and never winter. I agree. Turandot has never been boring but rather resolved yet musical. Then again people have different tastes, varying equipment and use case so only our own ears can tell. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back