Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #48,856 of 75,148
3 budget buds that are frequently mentioned here -- b40, me80 and fengru's version of the mx500.

My favorite is the me80, but the mx500 sounds FANTASTIC for $3.61 (mic and a pretty decent cable).

Very interesting to see the B40 as having the most amount of bass & mids from that FR graph. Offhand, I wouldn't have pegged it as being the bass-iest of the three. And apart from everything above the upper mids, the ME80 and EMX500 seems to be pretty much identical based on the graph.

Intriguing...

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #48,858 of 75,148
3 budget buds that are frequently mentioned here -- b40, me80 and fengru's version of the mx500.

My favorite is the me80, but the mx500 sounds FANTASTIC for $3.61 (mic and a pretty decent cable).
Me too. My favorite is the me80. Damn it, good earbud.

Another fan of the ME80. My favorite earbud by far.

Aug 26, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #48,859 of 75,148
Actually, here's a more accurate comparison. I realized that I didn't account for differences between the output levels due to individual sensitivity.
I am a bit disappointed at the treble rolloff in your measurement of the Rambo II, as I do prefer some brightness. OTOH the ME80 looks very well tuned, and has some pretty impressive treble extension for a $20 earbud.. c'est la vie. Edit: also for anyone reading, a frequency response only outlines the "flavor" of the device. Timbre, imaging, detail etc are different from tonality.

I picked up a ksc75 which seems closer to my preferred signature, I'll do a comparison between it and the Rambo II when they arrive.

Attachments

• KSC75-1024x468.jpg
    KSC75-1024x468.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #48,860 of 75,148
Aug 26, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #48,861 of 75,148
I am a bit disappointed at the treble rolloff in your measurement of the Rambo II, as I do prefer some brightness. OTOH the ME80 looks very well tuned, and has some pretty impressive treble extension for a $20 earbud.. c'est la vie. Edit: also for anyone reading, a frequency response only outlines the "flavor" of the device. Timbre, imaging, detail etc are different from tonality.

I picked up a ksc75 which seems closer to my preferred signature, I'll do a comparison between it and the Rambo II when they arrive.
Yeah, I measure and re-measured the rambos for that reason -- I couldn't reconcile what I saw on the graph vs. what I was hearing. I prefer bright buds and iems as well. That said, the rambos have laudable detail retrieval. They are just not a "bright" sounding bud. They definitely sound better in person.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #48,862 of 75,148
The me80 looks promising. I'm still looking for a yincrow x6 replacement with better technical performance and most of these earbuds are too bright or muddy and dark. The x6 seems to have the most balanced sound without eq. Rw9 isn't bad either but maybe a tad too lean.

The dt-10s with eq sounds pretty good though but would prefer not having to eq it.

Prices isn't a concern too much for earbuds pricing. I've owned the chaconne before and isn't my tuning preference and it's fit was hard to get it to stay in without moving around sure to it's weight. I also remember enjoying the rose maysa a lot but it too had odd fit.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #48,863 of 75,148
Hmmm, I haven't tried an earbud since fruitlessly trying to get a pair of those old school Apple 'buds to seat properly in my ear a few years ago, but for some reason, have a sudden interest in them (maybe the Fiio EM5 release is piquing my interest?). Anyway, a pair of the above-mentioned ME80 can be had from AE for ~$14USD during their current sale that ends on the 28th. This might be my first ever AE purchase.

Aug 26, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #48,864 of 75,148

Looking forward to that KSC75-Rambo II comparo. Thanks in advance.

Anyway, a pair of the above-mentioned ME80 can be had from AE for ~$14USD during their current sale that ends on the 28th. This might be my first ever AE purchase.

I say go for it!

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #48,866 of 75,148
B40 and ME80 are excellent for the price, and u can see which shape fits u better too. I haven't tried the Black gold ST10S, but the original ST10 is one of the best buds I have in terms of technical performance. Neutralish with bass boost and superb subbass for a bud. Only thing is I find the ST10 a bit cold in tonality with timbre not that natural.
ME80 is not that bassy though, I think u are a fellow basshead and that might not suit your bass tastes, but it is cheap, so why not.

For your criteria, u can consider the SMABAT M2 Pro that just released, it is a younger brother of the ST10 series, better fit and timbre, though worse technicalities. It has tuning modules to give a neutralish bright tuning or V shaped tuning (and if u are brave to solder, u can change the internal driver for even the ST10S black gold driver). On a V shaped tuning module, the SMABAT M2 Pro can hit the subbass quite ok for a bud, but not as good as the original ST10 in extension and bass quantity. It is sort of a mini ST10, just with tuning options.

Also u can check out the RY4S plus 32 ohm or RY4S 300 ohm, they come in detachable versions. The RY4S plus 32 ohm is V shaped, quite good subbass extension but midbass bleeds and upper mids are hot. Bass is a bit flabby too.
RY4S 300 ohm is the more refined bigger brother, more U shaped, not so hot upper mids, but bass doesn't extend as deep as the RY4S plus 32 ohm. Bass is much tighter with no midbass bleed too. Though as the 300 ohm name suggests, it needs amping.

Another option is the HE150 Pro is a V shaped $20 plus IEM, can be a bit sibilant and hot, but the bass actually sounds like a typical IEM bass in extension and quantity. Only thing is it is 150 ohm impedance, needs amping. And this set has non detachable noodle thin cables, the diameter of the cable really doesn't give me confidence it can last, but so far I've had it for 9 months, it is still working, keeping fingers crossed.
Yep, basshead but I can appreciate different signatures. These are all so cheap I may as well buy a bunch. Just having trouble settling on a "higher" end pair. Figure with all the coupons I have I may as well buy something but don't know if I should jump straight to something like the black and gold st10s or go for the Rambo 2 or original ST10 or any number of others on the market.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #48,867 of 75,148
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #48,868 of 75,148
Yeah, I measure and re-measured the rambos for that reason -- I couldn't reconcile what I saw on the graph vs. what I was hearing. I prefer bright buds and iems as well. That said, the rambos have laudable detail retrieval. They are just not a "bright" sounding bud. They definitely sound better in person.
Could you give a quick comparison of the technical abilities between the Rambo II and the ME80? How's their timbre, detail, imaging etc compare? It seems they both use a titanium plated diaphragm (as does the ksc75), so it'd be interesting to see what exactly is different.

Aug 26, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #48,869 of 75,148
Could you give a quick comparison of the technical abilities between the Rambo II and the ME80? How's their timbre, detail, imaging etc compare? It seems they both use a titanium plated diaphragm (as does the ksc75), so it'd be interesting to see what exactly is different.

There's also a few detailed reviews on the Rambo II posted here not too long ago. Use the search function and you'll most likely find them.

Here you go: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/isn-rambo-ii.24542/reviews
https://moonstarreviews.net/isn-audio-rambo-ii-review/
https://hiendportable.com/isn-rambo-english-review/

No comparisons to the ME80, however. But may help you form a more detailed impression of the Rambo II.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #48,870 of 75,148
Very interesting to see the B40 as having the most amount of bass & mids from that FR graph. Offhand, I wouldn't have pegged it as being the bass-iest of the three. And apart from everything above the upper mids, the ME80 and EMX500 seems to be pretty much identical based on the graph.

Intriguing...
Yeah, in real life, the b40 don't appear to be bassier then the rest, but they do sound noticeably congested with that lower range bump. There's also significant channel imbalance on the b40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back