Earbuds Round-Up
May 28, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #48,061 of 75,139
May 28, 2020 at 4:20 AM Post #48,062 of 75,139
May 28, 2020 at 4:22 AM Post #48,063 of 75,139
Been listening to my **** KP120s for a while now and decided to play with the filters at last; the blue ones are underwhelming, flat. The red ones are pretty good, edging in detail over the black but lacking the bass a little.

Black is best.
I confirm, I do not understand why they made other filters, it was possible to make a black filter that could not be removed only :)

May 28, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #48,064 of 75,139
curious... are any of you using the Dayton Audio iMM-6 to graph your earbuds? If so, how are you coupling the buds to the mic?

May 28, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #48,065 of 75,139
Smabat ST-10S Black-Gold sounding fine but the larger diameter is physically hurting the entrance area of my rather small ear canals :frowning2:
Hoping, that I'll adapt to it and the ache goes away with a few more days of wearing them. Double full foams muddied the sound... playing around with double donuts at the moment.
Had the same issue, changing the foams didn't help much for me, but in the end the pain went away after like 3 days of usage. The initial discomfort is worth the sound of these IMO :)
Pain and discomfort is now subsiding and nearly completely gone :wink:

May 28, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #48,066 of 75,139
I think you might have over-read into these graphs. These are not calibrated measurement and thus they can't be compared in absolute terms. They are being centered at 1kHz for convenience and common practice but you can just as well re-center them which ever way that you want.

All 3 graphs below are really the same, but centered at around 10kHz, 1kHz and 100Hz respectably. The actual subjective experience is however likely in between them.

ImgST1.png

ImgST2.png

ImgST3.png
If I look at the 3 comparison graphs of Black Gold ST-10S and Green ST-10 without listening to the actual sound then I would choose the Green ST-10 which the bass, midrange, and most of the treble are each flat tending.
(You may tell me not to judge without listening to the actual sound, but it is you who brought up the comparative FR graph earlier.)

Wait, Mr. @ ClieOS.
You tried to defend the Black Gold ST-10S by making the 3 comparison graphs.
But you didn't mention the new Black Silver ST-10S at all.
At least you must have implicitly admitted that those who already have the Green ST-10 do not need to buy the new Black Silver ST-10S.

May 28, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #48,067 of 75,139
If I look at the 3 comparison graphs of Black Gold ST-10S and Green ST-10 without listening to the actual sound then I would choose the Green ST-10 which the bass, midrange, and most of the treble are each flat tending.
(You may tell me not to judge without listening to the actual sound, but it is you who brought up the comparative FR graph earlier.)

Wait, Mr. @ ClieOS.
You tried to defend the Black Gold ST-10S by making the 3 comparison graphs.
But you didn't mention the new Black Silver ST-10S at all.
At least you must have implicitly admitted that those who already have the Green ST-10 do not need to buy the new Black Silver ST-10S.

Please DO NOT put words into my mouth.

First thing first - anyone who ever measured earbuds will know that flatness of earbuds in a graph is not that same as flatness of IEM in a graph, because earbuds leak sound in the ear, especially in the bass region, and therefore need extra to compensate. Exactly how much tends to be vary slightly from person to person due to fit / leak - but I have said it before, ST-10 is about as flat as I know for any given earbuds that I have listened to. I never say that ST-10S Black Silver (original) / Gold is as flat as ST-10. So if flatness / neutral is what you are looking for, then my recommendation is still on ST-10. In fact, I believe I have made similar comment regarding ST-10 vs. ST-10S Black Gold in some previous post, even before I received the new ST-10S Black Silver.

Secondly, my 3 graphs are meant to show that the original 2 separated graphs are not calibrated for direct comparison, and therefore shouldn't be used as such. I didn't make them with any other intention or implication. To me, taking any graphs out of context is just as bad as having no graphs at all.

Lastly, I made the new ST-10S Black Silver graphs as soon as I received it (with intention to show that the tuning has been changed fairly dramatically) and haven't actually listened to it for any prolonged period of time nor critically. Generally, I will put most earbuds I get to at least 100 hours of burn-in (*and no because I an a true burn-in believer, but only because I want to rule out any possible burn-in factor, if it dd occur) and at least a few hours of critical listening before I am comfortably discussing its signature. In short - it takes time for me to understand the character of different earbuds, and hastily making conclusion is not how I like to treat my hobby.

I am out.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #48,068 of 75,139
[
Completly newbie in the Earbuds world here. I have been through the last 20 or so pages of this thread and pulled the trigger for the Smabat ST-10S Black/Gold. Absolutely no idea what to expect, exciting.

Me, I've been through the last 1000 pages, and have been lusting over the Black/Gold's since I read about them, and I still haven't pulled the trigger on them. I like your style a lot better than mine LOL! Btw, I have the Svara L 32ohms which I love and are a predecessor of the smabat's, so I can imagine how good the black/golds are. Enjoy!

May 29, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #48,069 of 75,139
[

Me, I've been through the last 1000 pages, and have been lusting over the Black/Gold's since I read about them, and I still haven't pulled the trigger on them. I like your style a lot better than mine LOL! Btw, I have the Svara L 32ohms which I love and are a predecessor of the smabat's, so I can imagine how good the black/golds are. Enjoy!
:wink: I thought that spending this money was not a very high risk, as I surely can sell them back for 70 - 80% of their price, if I don't like the sound or the fit.

May 29, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #48,070 of 75,139
[

The initial type SVARA-L 96Ω (?), which is unusable for out-of-tune sounds, and the initial type SMABAT ST-10, which sometimes breaks the sound due to strange connection of MMCX terminal part, I totaled US $ 180 "I bought them with my own money". And I haven't exchanged both. I have two consecutive painful experiences like these. The present of SMABAT builds on such a dire past.

So I have to be very skeptical of this unconditional compliment to SMABAT BLACK GOLD / SILVER and of the quality control of SMABAT. I think there should be a lot of people who agree with my opinion.

Last edited:
May 29, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #48,071 of 75,139
Just to be clear, I paid for my Smabat as well.

May 29, 2020 at 2:10 AM Post #48,072 of 75,139
Sony MH750 (if you find some, rare).
These Sonys are not earbuds, but IEMs, so this is in the wrong thread.
They are actually terrible.
They're 'rare' because most of them get correctly thrown into the trash. :sweat_smile: (I actually just gave mine away... maybe that's more evil...hmm..)

May 29, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #48,074 of 75,139
What's with the spanish inquisition against @ClieOS... did we miss something? What is afoul here?

It is worth mentioning that this here ear bud thread has historically been one of, if not, the most friendly, polite, and well-mannered on Head-Fi with very few dramas that I can recall... I certainly do hope it remains so.

May 29, 2020 at 3:24 AM Post #48,075 of 75,139
Please tell me for reference. For SVARS-L, Green ST-10, OLD Black Silver ST-10S, NEW Black Silver ST-10S, Black Gold ST-10S, you paid over $ 80, $ 80, $ 40 (discount for advice fee), $ 130 or more. Is it?

From on top of my head, pretty sure I paid more since I own multiple pairs of the same model.

If you don't trust me, that's fine. I don't need it anyway. I am out, for good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back