Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #46,426 of 75,134
Anyone owns the Moondrop Chaconne? I had the pleasure to audition it in JP at Yodabashi (quite surprised they featured it) and from my brief listen it definitely sounds lush and smooth, yet musical at the same time. Treble is in control and overall really good sounding.

Dec 10, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #46,427 of 75,134
Thanks for your impressions :) So I think we agree in most points, apart from the fact that you prefer brighter sound compared to me (might be partly due to different sources or ear shapes really). If the BK2 sounds fuller and rounder, that's very promising for me. Sad to hear about the second copy, these cheap mass produced buds tend to have quite random QC, especially from in house products from bigger stores on Ali. Do you know any brands that have more trustworthy QC? Maybe Penon, Toneking, Willsound? (I dont have experience with them just guessing)

I agree mostly, in my opinion it's more about putting cheap generic drivers in cheap generic plastic shells with rushed/inexperienced tuning. More expensive buds can afford to be designed in a more holistic way where every component is tailored to each other. I'm not sure if metal has any inherent benefit over plastic in terms of sound, but I'm not experienced at all in this topic. My guess is that the reason why metal is preferred in more expensive buds is more about maintaining consistent quality + better precision by the manufacturing process, being sturdy and well, looking/feeling more expensive.
Mostly to do with the premium finish and look I'd imagine, which allows them to charge a premium price :)

I prefer well made metal earbuds (ones that keep overall weight and fit in mind to make a good design and comfort or a good plastic either. I'd gladly use high quality plastic as an alternative. For instance the VE monk /zen smokey transparent shells are clearly a higher grade of plastic than the majority of mx500 shells and you can tell instantly just by holding them. Stronger and a smoother finish.

I dont even mind the pk shells but even those have better grade ones like shozys uses compared to the $10 ones. The finish is better and the design is slightly more conforming to my ear.

Kinda like how headphones like Senn HD series use high quality plastic and those headphones have great durability and finish.

I think all materials like plastic metal or wood have their merits but tge design and quality is the most important factor.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #46,428 of 75,134
Sounds like an overall more refined version of Kube V1 with a more controlled low end.
Sounds like what is needed to improve the stock sound. The staging needs to be a little wider but thats just about getting the mids-treble balance right. Maybe the plus mod does that with tuning.

Still think it would be interesting to hear a kube driver in an alternative shell that's not got an mx500 design.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #46,429 of 75,134
I'm not sure if metal has any inherent benefit over plastic in terms of sound, but I'm not experienced at all in this topic. My guess is that the reason why metal is preferred in more expensive buds is more about maintaining consistent quality + better precision by the manufacturing process, being sturdy and well, looking/feeling more expensive.

I'm pretty sure metal shells make a difference to the sound signature due to resonance effects compared to plastic/wood shells. Nozzle diameter/length, shell shape, damping materials, shell materials, driver location are not by accident, they probably influence sound to some extent.

For example, the TFZ No. 3 (regular, made of plastic) and TFZ No. 3 TI (titanium) have different sound signatures according to some reviewers, despite using the same drivers and being of the same shape.

But definitely metal and wood shells look more premium and maybe would be of better quality then normal plastic ones.

Dec 10, 2019 at 10:57 PM Post #46,430 of 75,134
I'm pretty sure metal shells make a difference to the sound signature due to resonance effects compared to plastic/wood shells. Nozzle diameter/length, shell shape, damping materials, shell materials, driver location are not by accident, they probably influence sound to some extent.

For example, the TFZ No. 3 (regular, made of plastic) and TFZ No. 3 TI (titanium) have different sound signatures according to some reviewers, despite using the same drivers and being of the same shape.

But definitely metal and wood shells look more premium and maybe would be of better quality then normal plastic ones.
I would agree with this, only to a lesser extent than full size cans.

Dec 11, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #46,431 of 75,134
Thanks for your impressions :) So I think we agree in most points, apart from the fact that you prefer brighter sound compared to me (might be partly due to different sources or ear shapes really). If the BK2 sounds fuller and rounder, that's very promising for me. Sad to hear about the second copy, these cheap mass produced buds tend to have quite random QC, especially from in house products from bigger stores on Ali. Do you know any brands that have more trustworthy QC? Maybe Penon, Toneking, Willsound? (I dont have experience with them just guessing)

I agree mostly, in my opinion it's more about putting cheap generic drivers in cheap generic plastic shells with rushed/inexperienced tuning. More expensive buds can afford to be designed in a more holistic way where every component is tailored to each other. I'm not sure if metal has any inherent benefit over plastic in terms of sound, but I'm not experienced at all in this topic. My guess is that the reason why metal is preferred in more expensive buds is more about maintaining consistent quality + better precision by the manufacturing process, being sturdy and well, looking/feeling more expensive.

I don't find the ry4s overly bright indeed, still going back to the TO600 after half an hour was a bit of a relief personally, there's something sounding rough in the highs.

The point I don't agree with, but I didn't make it very clear, is that I don't think they are very detailed, but that there's a spike somewhere in the highs contributing to a somewhat forced sparkle, which could be mistaken for resolving power.

I find detail to be a quality that is not entirely dependent of FR, like timbre if you like, can be emphazised or hidden by FR tuning tho.

Dec 11, 2019 at 3:08 AM Post #46,432 of 75,134
However, my replacement BK2 doesn't sound as good as the one I had before, has a bit of shouty mids :/

Maybe needs burn-in or it's driver variation.

As someone who's waiting for his BK2 to arrive, this is very concerning. I hope it just needs burn in and not down to sample variation.

My 2nd question I'd like to ask is - what are some of your favorite sub 100 dollar buds, that have a permanently attached 2.5mm balanced cable? .

I think Blur buds come with a 2.5mm balanced out option. They've been well-praised. The maker (Wong Kuan Wae) can be found in the Earbuds Anonymous FB group.

But most stock tuned earbuds sound poor foamless as they need to foam to give a slightly seal for bass response and to dampen the treble slightly.

Just wondering...does this also apply to buds that are inherently dark/warm-sounding? e.g. the Kube2, H180, etc.

Dec 11, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #46,433 of 75,134
As someone who's waiting for his BK2 to arrive, this is very concerning. I hope it just needs burn in and not down to sample variation.

Don't overthink it, it's still totally recommendable and I enjoy it very, very much, I just think I had an extra good one previously, happens with 20€ stuff, can't have the butter and the money for the butter.

Dec 11, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #46,434 of 75,134
I don't find the ry4s overly bright indeed, still going back to the TO600 after half an hour was a bit of a relief personally, there's something sounding rough in the highs.

The point I don't agree with, but I didn't make it very clear, is that I don't think they are very detailed, but that there's a spike somewhere in the highs contributing to a somewhat forced sparkle, which could be mistaken for resolving power.

I find detail to be a quality that is not entirely dependent of FR, like timbre if you like, can be emphazised or hidden by FR tuning tho.
Yep I noticed that, I forgot to address the detail point. :) I only said that in relation to the price, at least I find ry4s ue detailed among my other sub 10usd buds. I can totally imagine that there are better resolving buds for similar price, but I haven't encountered one so far, maybe because I mostly have cheaper buds in the sub 10usd range. Can you name something for similar price that is more detailed? Maybe Shiro Yuki?

Yep I totally agree with different materials having different sound characteristics, I just don't think one is inherently better than the other, it all boils down to the overall design/tuning. I DIY earbuds as a hobby and I well aware of the fact that even tiny things can have big effect on the sound. There are even differences between mx500 shells. For example the chrome shell of the Fengru Silver sounds significantly different compared to regular ones. I guess it's due to the shiny coating inside and out. It adds that typical fengru silver flavour (midbass and upper mid dominant sound) to anything I put into it. First I thought it's just the tuning foam but then I moved the tuning to a regular shell and then it sounded like a normal balanced tuning, so the shell itself must be the source of that character.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 7:05 AM Post #46,435 of 75,134
Currently at work and listening to the Edifier H180 paired with my Stoner Acoustics UD130 dac/amp. Something about the sound from the H180 that I can't stand. It's not as thick sounding as the SHE3800 but there's a weird peak somewhere that irritates me. After about an hour or so, had to switch to the Kube2. Thick as all get out but at least it's bearable.

Edit: I've narrowed down what I don't like about the H180 sound. Mids and vocals are shouty. Shame, the shells are so comfortable.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #46,438 of 75,134
I find the Edifier H185 very comfortable so fit is good. Bass is pretty good for an earbud. I would call them L-shaped

Dec 11, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #46,439 of 75,134
Dream.JPG

Dream of a dream

First, I'll like to thank the fellow earbuds lover from Korea in loaning me this little gem. According to him, this is made by a guy who runs one of the oldest IEM/CIEM studio in the country and a fairly well known audiophile in the local community, under the brand name 'Oren 40'. This is sort of an special project for him to create an earbuds that can rival the CAX Red Dragon by Cypherus Audio, which is said to have been quite well received in Korea. As I was told, this particular earbuds has no official English model name, but simply referred as the 'Dream Sound' in rough translation from Korean.

Build quality wise, it is pretty good but nothing really special on the eyes. It has generic MX500 style plastic housing with chrome finish. Cable is thick with fabric sleeve, which as I was told also comes in a few more colors variations. There is also a selection of plug choice, from 3.5mm single-ended to all the common balanced plugs. I have to admit that I am not a fan of thick cable but luckily the cable on the Dream Sound, while still thick, is still decently soft and wieldable

As far as sound signature goes, it is warmish with exceptional openness and layering, very well textured and sweeten mid-range with quite a good, if not slightly smoothed end-to-end extension. While I won't said it is a mid-centric sound, its vocal is clearly the highlight of the presentation, which makes it excel in most mainstream music. Instruments and classical alike ain't bad either, as technically the earbuds is quite capable in all aspects. All in all, it is an ToTL earbuds that has little to no fault, with a sound that reminiscent that of an Sennheiser open-back full sized with a feeling of calm and relaxed, if not a bit of richness and indulgence.

Now comes the parts that hurt - Firstly, I was told this earbud has a price tag of about US$500. This might not be that surprising, consider it is targeting CAX Red Dragon that is also on that price range. Still, that's a lot of money for just an earbud. While the general price of ToTL earbuds are on the rise, I think the sensible price range at current market should be around US$200 or so, US$300 if you really push it (*this doesn't just apply to Dream Sound or Red Dragon, but ToTL earbuds in general IMO). You will have to be absolutely love the sound of a particular earbud to pay US$500 for it. As much as I am a self-proclaimed earbuds lover, I am not sure any earbuds is worth that much money for me personally. Of course, $500 is still almost nothing when compared to ToTL IEM/CIEM - though that's another story on its own. Secondly, the Dream Sound is not easy to drive with its 600ohm transducer. It is an earbuds that demands a good source, or even an amp. But for anyone who are willing to spend that much money on an earbuds, they probably already own a good source or amp, or two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back