Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #45,946 of 75,143
Received Shiro-Yuki today, it has limited treble extension but sounds very, very natural, and effortless, good buy.

It's a good day as I also got a kbear F1 I'm happy with, 2 good cheap minimalists purchases, I can sleep well :)

Still waiting for Nameless and TO600.

How are the low ends on the Shiroyuki? Also, by 'limited treble extension', do you mean that higher frequencies are cut off? Sorry I'm not too familiar with all these terms. For quite awhile now, I've been debating getting the Shiroyuki over the Faeeal Snow Lotus 1 (or 2). Reading your thoughts on it makes me want to go for the former.

Nov 18, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #45,947 of 75,143
Anyone here receive their Datura X Pro yet? Going to be waiting for awhile for mine. Wondering how it sounds.

Got my Datura Pro with the Hibiscus this weekend
Haven't spent allot of time on them although I did run a quick compare against my new VE Sun DICE which is a $298 USD earbud.
Not a good comparison since the FAAEAL Datura Pro although their TOTL earbud is like $36 USD

They are okay didn't blow the Sun DICE out of the water but I need more time and maybe burn in
maybe listen to them naked without any foams if they would stay put
I ran them on a ZIKU XD-09 so it wasn't a high end source

It's hard when you are also listening to the Tape. BLON 03, ****, HE100 and Carbo Tenore iems at the same time

Buds to me are a different type of listening experience compared to over ears and in ears
But FAAEAL and WillSound are better than most of the buds out there

So right now as I'm typing, I'm running a quick a/b on my ACMEE MF01 dap and listening to one of my favorite tracks "Miles of Sea" by Scott Jarrett. It seems the Willsound PK32 black cable sounds clearer and with more punch than the FAAEAL Datura Pro although I enjoy the sound of the FAAEAL. Its just the Willsound to me sounds better. I'm using a AliEx cable instead of the one that came with the Datura so I'll change that out and try more comparisons.

1118191705_resized.jpg

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #45,948 of 75,143
Just got a pair of TY Hi-Z HP32 (v2 balanced 2.5mm) last week. I've been running them through the iBasso DC01. There is a peak somewhere in the 3-5khz region cause I hear them "shout" sometimes. Do you guys think it will go away the more the earbud gets worked or is this how it's supposed to sound? My only other reference is the Monk (original).

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:36 AM Post #45,949 of 75,143
It's been a while since I've last been interested in earbuds. Any suggestion for a $100 budget? I'm most interested in emulating the soundstage of open-back headphones.

Penon BS1 or Smabat ST-10?

Nov 19, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #45,950 of 75,143
How are the low ends on the Shiroyuki? Also, by 'limited treble extension', do you mean that higher frequencies are cut off? Sorry I'm not too familiar with all these terms. For quite awhile now, I've been debating getting the Shiroyuki over the Faeeal Snow Lotus 1 (or 2). Reading your thoughts on it makes me want to go for the former.

You could find anyone commenting on the difference of the snow lotus 1+ and 2?

Nov 19, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #45,951 of 75,143

Yes limited treble extension means early treble roll-off, however I'm not quite sure for that one, could just be the effect that it sounds "polite" in the high range, I need more time with it to tell you exactly how it is.

The bass is, however, clearly very limited in extension, I can't hear any sub. It's even worse than my TO200 that sounds already very dry in the low-end. But I sometimes like that type of sound, depends on mood. The mid-bass is fast, well defined, and not boomy, I prefer it that way even if it lacks sub. Quantity sounded adequate to me.

I'd be interested by a comparison with the snow lotus too.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #45,952 of 75,143
Just got a pair of TY Hi-Z HP32 (v2 balanced 2.5mm) last week. I've been running them through the iBasso DC01. There is a peak somewhere in the 3-5khz region cause I hear them "shout" sometimes. Do you guys think it will go away the more the earbud gets worked or is this how it's supposed to sound? My only other reference is the Monk (original).
I don't have your particular earbud, bud it's quite typical to have some kind of peak around 3-5khz, maybe your bud has extra strong peak there (I'm generally sensitive to that range, but there are very peaky buds indeed, like the RY4C). Trying out different foams is the most direct solution, in my experience more dense foams tend to tame the 4-5khz area quite noticeably, like trig rains or those that come with B40. Other remedy would be EQ, in fact a simple general profile would benefit almost all budget earbuds in my opinion, namely increase 30-80hz and decrease 3-5khz by 1-2dB. I tend to pull down the 4-5khz area by 2dB whenever I can. I don't think any kind of burn in will solve this, there could be few exceptions but in my experience the sound doesn't change at all (maybe in the first few hours but that's about it) I measured a few buds at day 1 and they had the exact same freq response after weeks and months. However physical wear and tear may change the sound but that's another story

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #45,953 of 75,143
I have the 40 ohm Monk Lite. Superb comfort, but the sound takes some getting use to. Quite detailed, wide soundstage, but very very lean on the low frequencies. I'm not a basshead but even this is too light for my taste. But whatever bass is there is quite well controlled. Not sibilant and no piercing treble. Female vocals and instrumentals sound nice.

When I first got em, I disliked the sound so much I intended to sell them straight away. But after some burn in, I think they sound a bit better now. When paired with my Fiio Q1 and the bass boost turned on, the lower frequencies are enhanced nicely. Of course, the aforementioned is what it sounds like to me. YMMV.

If I can do it all over again, I'd maybe spring for the 120ohm version. I've read folks say it's better than the 40ohm version but there are also comments saying that if one doesn't like the sound sig of the 40, then the 120 is basically more of the same. So, yeah...

I don't own either of the buds you have but I have had the monks and their variations for a couple of years now.
The Monks have a "fun" sound which is why they standout from normal buds people get off the shell or with their phones.
It can also be a juice hog which tends to drain the battery with its higher ohm appetite. I have had complaints from people I gave them too about their batteries depleting faster while listening through the monks. But all have said the sound experience was great. Not sure the benefits of the Lites other than for sleeping with them and less drain on your source.The lites tend to have a less "fuller" sound if that makes any sense.

I originally got turned on to VE and the Monks after I bought my LG V30 because I needed something to trigger the amp. Since then I found a ton more options that can do the same but now I also have a ton of DAPs to use instead of my phone.

Thanks, both of you :)

The shell seems conforabale, that is why I was looking into then. Wanted something to use while in bed, but wanted a more warm sound, maybe i will go for the Qian39, same shell.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #45,954 of 75,143
Yes limited treble extension means early treble roll-off, however I'm not quite sure for that one, could just be the effect that it sounds "polite" in the high range, I need more time with it to tell you exactly how it is.

The bass is, however, clearly very limited in extension, I can't hear any sub. It's even worse than my TO200 that sounds already very dry in the low-end. But I sometimes like that type of sound, depends on mood. The mid-bass is fast, well defined, and not boomy, I prefer it that way even if it lacks sub. Quantity sounded adequate to me.

I'd be interested by a comparison with the snow lotus too.

Thanks for your input. Re: the lack of bass/subbass, that sounds similar to the VE Monk Lite. I like it (Monk Lite) for certain songs/genres, podcasts, etc...but not for others. It benefits greatly from the bass boost on the Fiio Q1.

If I do get the Snow Lotus and/or the Shiroyuki soon, I'll let you know my thoughts.

You could find anyone commenting on the difference of the snow lotus 1+ and 2?

Yes, if I recally correctly it was in the EA group on facebook. Something like 'The SL 1.0 sounds muddled, 2.0 is much better'...

Trying out different foams is the most direct solution, in my experience more dense foams tend to tame the 4-5khz area quite noticeably, like trig rains or those that come with B40.

Talking about Trig Rains foam, can someone provide a link to some Trig Rain foams that are legit off Aliexpress? I did a quick search the other day and there were many, not sure which one is the 'correct'/'best' one.

Nov 19, 2019 at 5:39 AM Post #45,955 of 75,143
Thanks, both of you :)

The shell seems conforabale, that is why I was looking into then. Wanted something to use while in bed, but wanted a more warm sound, maybe i will go for the Qian39, same shell.

May I suggest the 'Philips' SHE3800 or the Edifier H180? They're both identical and have a similar-sized shell to the Monk Lite. Well, perhaps not as thin/small as the Monk Lites but still very comfortable and suitable to be used in bed (I've tried). They tend to stay in my ears better too. They don't sound thin like the Monk Lite 40, in fact bass is VERY present. If you can only choose one, go for the Edifier H180.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #45,956 of 75,143
Talking about Trig Rains foam, can someone provide a link to some Trig Rain foams that are legit off Aliexpress? I did a quick search the other day and there were many, not sure which one is the 'correct'/'best' one.

https://trigrain518946.aliexpress.com/store/518946

If you navigate to the category "Foam ear pads" you should find what you're looking for, they have several listings depending on the quantity you want to buy.

Nov 19, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #45,957 of 75,143
It will stay like that, unfortunately :frowning2:
If you feel adventurous you can still mod them but trying to open might result kiling drivers (looks like its much glued on my pair) so I didn't tried yet, I keep them using stock for now (but not listening them much anyway).
My yet best cheapest/entry level earbuds are still for now the Domoco PK2 that chitty's store made on aliexpress. Much more balanced sound.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #45,959 of 75,143
My yet best cheapest/entry level earbuds are still for now the Domoco PK2 that chitty's store made on aliexpress. Much more balanced sound

Excellent earbuds with a very comfortable shell.

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #45,960 of 75,143
DSC_0005.jpg

Have been listened to these for the last hour or so - YinCrow RW-1000, fed by FiiO BTR5 + balanced cable. I am kinda surprised that I didn't see RW-1000 makes it to the 11.11 sale, but it is definitely on AliExpress now. I won't go as far as calling it flagship level, but this should make it to to the 2nd tier without any problem. Pretty good effort from YinCrow for their first trial on higher end earbuds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back