Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 30, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #41,896 of 75,075
It's the bolded part of your comment that gives me the strong impression that the 115ohm is a very different beast than the 32ohm version - the 32ohm version's bass goes deep, but is very well controlled imo.

That's why the 32-Ohm Svara was my favorite MMCX earbud (until I got the Smabat), while the 115-Ohm Svara was lower on my list. The EBX has clear low Bass, but they don't fit as well in my ears, as the Svara shell.

The Smabat is a nice evolution of Svara sound, and they fit my ears.

Apr 30, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #41,897 of 75,075
That's why the 32-Ohm Svara was my favorite MMCX earbud (until I got the Smabat), while the 115-Ohm Svara was lower on my list. The EBX has clear low Bass, but they don't fit as well in my ears, as the Svara shell.

The Smabat is a nice evolution of Svara sound, and they fit my ears.
Not having any of the above in my collection....I'm really looking forward to delivery of the ST-10 :)

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #41,898 of 75,075
After cementing my On-Ear Rushmore, I'm back in the Earbuds' game!

I've been catch-n-releasing what felt like endless TOTL earbuds (Blur, Zoomfred, Mojito, Red Dragon, yada yada); I settled on the measley Snow Lotus 1.0 2.5mm and found them to be perfect for my need/usage. Plus I had some complaints about the business of "ultra expensive" TOTL earbuds so I stepped back a bit. But now with the release of so many great options in the mid-tier <$100 range, I just couldn't resist.

So a few days ago, I had an opportunity to sample of sakes for work, one thing lead to another and in lieu of any promiscuous behavior with co-workers, I got a little trigger happy on AliExpress and picked up:
  1. ToneKing MusicMaker
  2. ToneKing 400Ohm
  3. ToneKing 600Ohm
  4. **** PT25
  5. SMABAT ST-10
I'm loving how detachable cables have trickled down to the more reasonable priced earbuds (goes to show how looooong I've been out the game) which I had always thought should be a must with anything over a certain price point.

Any other recs or must-trys?

Also, does anyone (anywhere on the interwebs) have a reliable methodology to measure earbuds yet? I feel like the variance in people's ear cavity fit is so great that any measurements would be super unreliable...

Apr 30, 2019 at 1:27 PM Post #41,899 of 75,075
After cementing my On-Ear Rushmore, I'm back in the Earbuds' game!

I've been catch-n-releasing what felt like endless TOTL earbuds (Blur, Zoomfred, Mojito, Red Dragon, yada yada); I settled on the measley Snow Lotus 1.0 2.5mm and found them to be perfect for my need/usage. Plus I had some complaints about the business of "ultra expensive" TOTL earbuds so I stepped back a bit. But now with the release of so many great options in the mid-tier <$100 range, I just couldn't resist.

So a few days ago, I had an opportunity to sample of sakes for work, one thing lead to another and in lieu of any promiscuous behavior with co-workers, I got a little trigger happy on AliExpress and picked up:
  1. ToneKing MusicMaker
  2. ToneKing 400Ohm
  3. ToneKing 600Ohm
  4. **** PT25
  5. SMABAT ST-10
I'm loving how detachable cables have trickled down to the more reasonable priced earbuds (goes to show how looooong I've been out the game) which I had always thought should be a must with anything over a certain price point.

Any other recs or must-trys?

Also, does anyone (anywhere on the interwebs) have a reliable methodology to measure earbuds yet? I feel like the variance in people's ear cavity fit is so great that any measurements would be super unreliable...

Just out of curiosity - Which Blur did you try - the MX500 style, or the PK style?

Another thing that makes me curious about the earbud test measurements, if they're using a jig to hold the earbud against the ear-shaped Mic assembly - is it pressed with the same force as just sticking them in your ear, and are any of the shell vents being obstructed?

May 1, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #41,901 of 75,075
Hello. I got hands on my RW9 yesterday. Sound is crisp, musical but sometimes a bit thin. Are foams recommended?

Yes, but I change the settings sometimes: full foams or full foams with donuts. I really like the RW-9.

May 1, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #41,902 of 75,075
Hello. I got hands on my RW9 yesterday. Sound is crisp, musical but sometimes a bit thin. Are foams recommended?
Use Donuts Foam if you want to thicken the mid-bass, use Full Foam if you want to thicken the overall sound, and use Full Foam + Donuts Foam if you want to thicken the mid-bass even more.
I like the last way.
rw-9.JPG

May 1, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #41,903 of 75,075
Today, only ten days after ordering a bunch of Indonesian buds from the latest Ebay listings. a biggish box arrived! A pink Kube V1 and a Sabia Rose for me, a white Kube V1 and a black Kube V2 for @HungryPanda , and an AIDEX DX-SII-10001 for each of us. We have not opened the AIDEX boxes yet. Apparently they are such old stock that the foams will crumble to dust when we touch them. We will do it carefully later.

R0014627.JPG

They were packaged very well. Here are photos of the unboxing if anyone wants to look.

R0014596.JPG

R0014597.JPG

R0014598.JPG

R0014600.JPG

Attachments

• R0014594.JPG
    R0014594.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #41,904 of 75,075
Today, only ten days after ordering a bunch of Indonesian buds from the latest Ebay listings. a biggish box arrived! A pink Kube V1 and a Sabia Rose for me, a white Kube V1 and a black Kube V2 for @HungryPanda , and an AIDEX DX-SII-10001 for each of us. We have not opened the AIDEX boxes yet. Apparently they are such old stock that the foams will crumble to dust when we touch them. We will do it carefully later.

They were packaged very well. Here are photos of the unboxing if anyone wants to look.

Awesome! Thanks for the pictorial :)

I can't wait to find out what you think of the AIDEX's!

May 1, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #41,905 of 75,075
Got some nice little packages earlier this week. Spent some time listening yesterday and did some measurements today.

20190501_185658.jpg

Sabia V6 Pearl
Sabia V6 Rose
And some kind of no-name earbud... on amazon it was under the name MRLIFY, but had Vido in the title/description. Also sold on aliexpress under the name Marsnaska.

Original Black cable Sabia
Sabia Elibud V6 2.png
Pearl/silver cable
Sabia v6 silver.png
Rose/pink copper cable
Sabia v6 pink.png
All variants on one graph - colour coded.
sabia cables.png

Tonally, the incremental differences between them are even less significant than the fit/position in my ears.
To my ears, the Rose sounded a touch smoother, and Pearl sounded more airy... but it could be psychoacoustic.

These are OK for a couple of eurobucks.
nobrandreds.png
Here's Vido for comparison in price bracket - (quite similar)
Vido.png

May 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #41,906 of 75,075
Just out of curiosity - Which Blur did you try - the MX500 style, or the PK style?

Another thing that makes me curious about the earbud test measurements, if they're using a jig to hold the earbud against the ear-shaped Mic assembly - is it pressed with the same force as just sticking them in your ear, and are any of the shell vents being obstructed?

I can't remember the model name now but it's one of those with two/three (?) Chinese characters and had a translucent MX500-style casing. (My ears never took a liking to the PK style cases... by any manufacturer).

RE: measurements - I completely agree. There's a reason proper scientific reports include a detailed assessment of methodology. I'm a sucker for graphs and find them to be generally helpful in comparing headphones/IEMS but with earbuds the individual fit and positioning is so important. I'd be very curious to hear any first hand info on the method/technique of measuring earbuds!

May 1, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #41,907 of 75,075
20190502_034543.jpg 20190502_034558.jpg finally after some practice and steady hands. Made this for my friend who like a little fullness without sacrificing much details.

Using coins with same size as base and hot soldering gun. This is for RW-9

Edit*

After some listening I have a feeling I might get used to this as well. I even add small hole for the back port

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 7:42 PM Post #41,908 of 75,075
Got some nice little packages earlier this week. Spent some time listening yesterday and did some measurements today.

Sabia V6 Pearl
Sabia V6 Rose
And some kind of no-name earbud... on amazon it was under the name MRLIFY, but had Vido in the title/description. Also sold on aliexpress under the name Marsnaska.

Original Black cable Sabia

Pearl/silver cable

Rose/pink copper cable

All variants on one graph - colour coded.

Tonally, the incremental differences between them are even less significant than the fit/position in my ears.
To my ears, the Rose sounded a touch smoother, and Pearl sounded more airy... but it could be psychoacoustic.

These are OK for a couple of eurobucks.

Here's Vido for comparison in price bracket - (quite similar)

Im hearing pretty much your "V6 with Black cable" out of my VUNBUD or very close to it. Nice to see an approximation of what I have been hearing. Makes sense now.

Seems like cables make a bit of difference. I should maybe experiment with different cables on it. Just always used the VJC cable that came with it.

Last edited:
May 1, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #41,909 of 75,075
Wow!!! Amazing, I got the last AIDEX DX-SII-10001 too. Thank you! I got the Dunus 'cause I really like my dk-3001. I don't know how the Dunu earbuds sounds, but Dunu is a good brand.

There was a warning on the sellers page that because the AIDEX is so old the foam would turn to dust as soon as we touch it. So, we were very careful removing them from the packaging and even more careful when removing the preinstalled foams. We did not want foam dust to go into the drivers. Here it the result... the first photo is of my husbands foams and the second one is mine. This should be a warning to anyone who thinks they will stock up on a lifetime supply of foams... lol.

R0014628.JPG

R0014629.JPG

May 1, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #41,910 of 75,075
I can't remember the model name now but it's one of those with two/three (?) Chinese characters and had a translucent MX500-style casing. (My ears never took a liking to the PK style cases... by any manufacturer).

RE: measurements - I completely agree. There's a reason proper scientific reports include a detailed assessment of methodology. I'm a sucker for graphs and find them to be generally helpful in comparing headphones/IEMS but with earbuds the individual fit and positioning is so important. I'd be very curious to hear any first hand info on the method/technique of measuring earbuds!

The Blur with Chinese characters were Wong's first series, and while the 300Ω model has very good quality of Bass, Midrange & Treble, the K's K500 has more quantity of Bass.
The later series, like the hALF/hALF (150Ω), has noticeably more Bass (which is also clear & detailed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back