Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #41,731 of 75,143
My [Moondrop VX Classic] arrived today.

Out of the box, I'm fairly impressed. A nice smooth sound signature. These look like they could be harsh, but that could not be further from the truth. I would describe them as a relaxed, just south of neutral. Details come through with passion and accuracy. Vocals are strong in the mid range. Bass is refrained, but still present when needed. Soundstage is well thought after.

Build quality is better than my quick photos show. A solid earbud from head to toe. While the housing are a bit flashy, the rest of the earbud is understated with sensible materials. My only issue is the R and L on the housings can be difficult to see. Best to use colorful foam covers to discern for the proper placement.

These are good earbuds for extended use. The lightweight feel and also the easy going overall sound that neither has harsh highs or overpowering bass.

P1100313.jpg

P1100311.jpg

P1100309.jpg

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #41,732 of 75,143
That cable is one of top ranked on the budget chi fi cable thread right? (Although it's not exactly budget at around $95). Both the electrical measurements and subjective opinion of the guy who tested like 100+ cables said it was one of the best. Clean sound and solid bass.

I was thinking of buying this wire in bulk to make my own cables. How is the quality to feel and is it flexible enough?

Also in your opinion does it alter the sound?

It really looks great and I like how thick and the purity of the copper is nice. I think pure copper cables is the way I want to go as I value a full low end and a warmth in the mids. So if these cables do make a difference that's the sound I'd be looking for on my Mojito and some other earbuds.

Yup! you are right, this is one of the best recommendations from @hakuzen list :)
My initial impressions after few hours of burning is that it already reached my top cable choice. Sonically, it looks like the 7N from NiceHCK that I reviewed recently. But this one looks having slightly better transparency/natural and best bass precision over the one from NiceHCK (by a slight margin).
My best cables choice will always be now on 7N pure/crystal copper. I slightly less believe in silver plated. I prefer the precision of the copper.
The wires used is this one : http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5994 or this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...-Hi-Res-99-99999-7N-Pure-OCC/32890538731.html
Extremely good material, but unfortunately it is one of my most less flexible and stiffer cables that I own, so not a real pleasure to manipulate. Wires are soft (not so much thought).
So to sum-up: sonically speaking: highly recommended :)
Also, you can get it for 69$, let me know if youre interested on the link via PM, can't say here directly (as it is from a banned seller).
Cheers'

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #41,733 of 75,143
I like the idea of the donut foams and for some earbuds they really make a pleasant difference to tweaking/refining the signature...but I hate how impractical they are. At first when they're still a bit tight it's fine, but as they become stretched it's so heard to keep them centred on the bud, especially as they tend to move when placing the buds in my ears.
I have to change donuts about every 2-3 weeks...
Atleast they are sorta cheap, although I prefer heigi foams usually. They are a bit more in cost.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #41,734 of 75,143
Same problem here ! Interesting but bad QC...

So

I saw with smabat for the moment ( thanks @Otto Motor they are reagent ). Test purpose me a solution, I think it's the same that they suggest you but I don't have tweezers St if I can't they say to see with AliExpress seller and confirm that the problem is already fix.
Without this problem I found them very cool and very natural tonality for a neutral earbuds

I already have **** PT15 which is very warm and more fun but clearly not the same quality

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #41,735 of 75,143
My [Moondrop VX Classic] arrived today.

Out of the box, I'm fairly impressed. A nice smooth sound signature. These look like they could be harsh, but that could not be further from the truth. I would describe them as a relaxed, just south of neutral. Details come through with passion and accuracy. Vocals are strong in the mid range. Bass is refrained, but still present when needed. Soundstage is well thought after.

Build quality is better than my quick photos show. A solid earbud from head to toe. While the housing are a bit flashy, the rest of the earbud is understated with sensible materials. My only issue is the R and L on the housings can be difficult to see. Best to use colorful foam covers to discern for the proper placement.

These are good earbuds for extended use. The lightweight feel and also the easy going overall sound that neither has harsh highs or overpowering bass.

P1100313.jpg

P1100311.jpg

P1100309.jpg

Thank you for impressions.
Did you compare with other earbuds from this price range ? Please share :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #41,736 of 75,143
Yup! you are right, this is one of the best recommendations from @hakuzen list :)
My initial impressions after few hours of burning is that it already reached my top cable choice. Sonically, it looks like the 7N from NiceHCK that I reviewed recently. But this one looks having slightly better transparency/natural and best bass precision over the one from NiceHCK (by a slight margin).
My best cables choice will always be now on 7N pure/crystal copper. I slightly less believe in silver plated. I prefer the precision of the copper.
The wires used is this one : http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5994 or this one : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1m-...-Hi-Res-99-99999-7N-Pure-OCC/32890538731.html
Extremely good material, but unfortunately it is one of my most less flexible and stiffer cables that I own, so not a real pleasure to manipulate. Wires are soft (not so much thought).
So to sum-up: sonically speaking: highly recommended :)
Also, you can get it for 69$, let me know if youre interested on the link via PM, can't say here directly (as it is from a banned seller).
Cheers'
Oh nice! I don't mind if it's not super flexible as long as it's loose braided so it won't hold too muxh memory and is good quality shielding. My K's ling cable is not soft but I still love the cable because of it's quality and the cable pictured looks even nicer.

How heavy is it? Is that an issue? I heard it may be heavier than other upgrade cables.

Thanks I might consider that and get back to you with a PM :)

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #41,737 of 75,143
I like the idea of the donut foams and for some earbuds they really make a pleasant difference to tweaking/refining the signature...but I hate how impractical they are. At first when they're still a bit tight it's fine, but as they become stretched it's so heard to keep them centred on the bud, especially as they tend to move when placing the buds in my ears.

This is the reason I won't use donuts at all.

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #41,738 of 75,143

So, I've still got my minty 'new' 2007 apple earbuds that came with my iPod Classic Video 80GB (which is still my daily driver after all these years).
I've only used it for 5-10 hours (really not sure), and only even opened the packaging last summer/autumn when I first compared it to my Kubes.
(I've also got at least one more new (never used) still in it's packaging that came with a pre 2010 iPod nano, and possibly another in an iPod shuffle box somewhere...)

Like most buds, I can't use it without foam or there is huge bass roll-off.

My verdict is that it's quite different to MX500-shell based buds.
These have a different fit to the other buds, so if like me you can't get the best fit without actually pushing the buds slightly closer to your ear canals, you will hear considerable bass roll-off.
When looking at MX500 based buds, holding the 'stalk' up vertically, you notice the bud doesn't come out exactly perpendicular, but points slightly upwards.
The apple iBud (is that it's name? :) ) does point directly perpendicular to it's stalk.

The absolute best sound from these buds I heard was WITHOUT foam, and manually applying pressure to get a better bass response.
In this instance, they do get close to competing with the other buds pictured above, but sub-bass is still very much lacking. Soundstage was also minimal, but that could be due to the bad fit.

WIth full foam, bass is VERY bloated and mid-bass focused. Not a good sound, but soundstage improved.
Donut foams provided the best compromise for my personal use, but I don't really see myself using these when the other sound better to me, simply due to the better fit.
In any case, I always thought there was some tonality issues in the midrange too.
I think I might be able to use these with those extremely thin 'itchy' looking foams, but I don't have any at home to try.

Overall, I wouldn't recommend them, especially to MX500-based bud lovers.
Even the Vidos just sounded more open, airy and articulate, with none of the obvious lack of bass.

Next time, would you mind posting an uplifting review like that before I press the "buy now" button? :wink:

I wonder if the ones I got are even real. If fakes, maybe they will sound great!

Oh well, there goes $7 I could have put towards the Smabat's :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #41,739 of 75,143
I picked my red RW-9 today and have round 1 hour burn so far using my phone.

Just got back home and put the faom (100pcs per Usd) and listening again on my desktop setup.

Just curious what type of foam you guys use to squeeze the best SQ from this, since I notice there's a lot of donut supplied with the bud.

OOTB the sound did not disappointed me especially for the price. Easy recommendation.

Edit.

Rw-9 just passed my acid test, Aisaka Yuka - Hikari Hikari track. The most difficult track to pleased in my listening collection.

I just checked, and I'm using donuts on them (not sure where I got them from). I think I'll try other foams for fun though.

p.s. glad they passed the acid test! I'm going to have to listen to that.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #41,740 of 75,143
I rolled a few just now. Full thin foam, included donut and super porous foam. I think I'll stick to the full thin foam. And it still can produce certain frequency that my iem can.

That particular song I test usually muddy or muffled vocal with lesser iem or headphone but scaled well with the like of RHA, IE80 or anything that can produce better layering. In my possession that sound best is docomo long stem. Just IMHO

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #41,742 of 75,143
Apr 24, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #41,743 of 75,143
Anyone have any experience with Blur buds? I've spoken to Mr Wong already on Instagram but wanted to get a better feel for his products/service/communications etc.

Any information you can share will be greatly apprecaited!

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #41,744 of 75,143
Apr 24, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #41,745 of 75,143

Users who are viewing this thread

Back