Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 2, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #41,162 of 75,076
1_XDKaCaGeLjV79lPsPz42PA.jpeg

Apr 2, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #41,163 of 75,076
What are the go to choices at $30 and under? Preferably small shell
Maybe Monk Lite? I don't know it, I have the Zen LL and it's great! Zen LL has the same shell that Monk Lite. I believe that Qian39 uses the same shell type of Monk Lite. PK2 shell are smaller too, in this case, the SR2 tpe 16ohms.

Apr 2, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #41,164 of 75,076
Any recommendations on an upgrade to the Ourart ACG (or even a sidegrade with bass)? Preferably with MMCX as well. Something with great mids/highs but actually has sub-bass and bass.

I've been looking at the EBX or maybe the new ST-10, but not too sure where to leap.
You won't find the EBX as an upgrade from ACG. It has completely different signature, less impressive in detail retrieval and transparency. You might be disappointed if you expect similar mids from the EBX.

I use both for anything but if I really want to enjoy classical, acoustics, jazz / bossa or anything which are not busy, I'd pick the ACG. I'll pick EBX if I simply don't care what I will listen to.

Nothing in my inventory has similar mids - highs as on the ACG, except PK16, but it too, has rolled-off bass. My ST-10 is still on their way to me.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #41,165 of 75,076
Edifier do have some very good sounding earbuds. On another note I disassembled my K's K200 as it sounded really bad. I put the drivers in new MX500 shells with a new cable and whilst doing so found that one of the drivers was wound out of phase ( hence the poor performance). Now that has been sorted they now sound very good indeed. Thunderous bass and really clear highs. I'm glad I did it.

@HungryPanda could you give a brief explanation how you determined the driver was out of phase? Noticed on some of my earbuds that the L & R drivers were not marked similarly.

Apr 3, 2019 at 7:22 AM Post #41,166 of 75,076
I found the cable was attached correctly but the 2 drivers were wired in the opposite direction. one had + on the left side but the other had - on the left. The dot that marks + on each was in the same place.

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #41,169 of 75,076
I found the cable was attached correctly but the 2 drivers were wired in the opposite direction. one had + on the left side but the other had - on the left. The dot that marks + on each was in the same place.

Sound like an assembly error down at the factory.

Apr 3, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #41,170 of 75,076
Sound like an assembly error down at the factory.
Easily done I suppose. I get multiple drivers for my own buds and they come marked for the + and can be on either side, so they have been checked. I always use a multimeter to check cables before I use them

Apr 3, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #41,173 of 75,076
hi,newbie here. so a guy on facebook told me that he prefer his 50$ earbuds over his 200$ iem and want me to try it my self. i used to think that headphone > iem and earbuds until recently got my hands on moondrop KPE and fell in love with it :sweat_smile: is there any earbud around 30-60$ that have the harman sound ? what earbud would u guys suggest to an earbud newbie ?

Apr 3, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #41,174 of 75,076
hi,newbie here. so a guy on facebook told me that he prefer his 50$ earbuds over his 200$ iem and want me to try it my self. i used to think that headphone > iem and earbuds until recently got my hands on moondrop KPE and fell in love with it :sweat_smile: is there any earbud around 30-60$ that have the harman sound ? what earbud would u guys suggest to an earbud newbie ?

If you are looking for Earbuds that have a balanced sound over the whole range and a fine treble around that price, I recommend "Moondrop VX Pro" first.
However, if you can not find "Moondrop VX Pro", which was discontinued a little while ago, I recommend "Shozy Cygnus", which is a bit more expensive.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #41,175 of 75,076
No earbuds will have harmann curve sub bass. It's almost impossible with the lack of seal. There's some earbuds that perform admirably in sub bass but it will follow more closely to the diffuse field neutral sub bass or slightly less.

For the rest of the frequency range it's very possible. I think member ClieOS is the best to ask as he has many IEM's/Earbuds and can probably best say which is most neutral.

I think you'd have to spend closer to $80- 120 (like the new smabat st-10 which clieos considers very neutral) and boost the bass region a few db to get a desirable result. Or look for the most bassy earbuds around thar also have good tonal balance in the mids and highs, because most earbuds are very light below 50hz by harmann curve standards.

Failing that, the closest I've heard to neutral is my modified Kube V2 ($8) or modified Rose Mojito ($220). So price doesn't really equate to how balanced-neutral an earbud will sound.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back