1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Earbuds Round-Up

1. HungryPanda
    I made a couple of buds today and I managed to ruin two different drivers, easy to do, although I think one of them was no good when I got them

DBaldock9 and waynes world like this.
  2. Marcos Fontana
    Guys,

This is the Herry response:

Looking on what you describe it is quite common on earbuds, because of the prezuried membrane during the shipment
    here is how you fixed it. When playing a music, You can suck the front cover of the earbuds using your mouth. Keep repeating until the membrane flex to the normal position and you hear no rattle noise on the low freq

I did as he said and... It worked!!!!! Everything is working. This is a nice tip for anyone with a problem like I had. I will keep an eye in Penon and I will keep everybody informed.

Thank you guys!

Slmes, Danneq, Dabbaranks and 10 others like this.
  3. seanc6441
    Yeah can't say I haven't done that! But we push on in the name of DIY! lol

DBaldock9, jibberish and HungryPanda like this.
  4. Themilkman46290
    Well yeah, your right, but the alternative
    I have had to do it for 3 of my wife's buds(don't understand how she does it)

KarmaPhala and seanc6441 like this.
  5. seanc6441
    That doesn't always work but im glad it worked in this case. It really depends on the source of the rattle. In your case it was just a membrane flexed the wrong way, other times the driver is flawed.

My advice for you is to turn on a bass heavy play list, turn the volume to loud listening level (NOT blasting loud but as loud as you would ever want to listen) and let it play for about 6-12 hours.

If your driver is still good after that then hurray, its a good driver. If you hear rattling again you will know that there's an inherent issue with your unit.

Just my 2 cents!

Now you just need to wait for penon to reply hope that works out too!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  6. ValSilva
    Hi Marcos, I think they'll return from Chinese New Year Holliday on February 11th. I hope you got an answer soon.

7. palestofwhite
    I've had my fair share of problems with higher tier earbuds.

I've personally replaced the ZOE 3 times due to manufacturing defects. The Omega Editions seem very DIY in quality, not just with driver failure, but also in terms of finishing where scratches and dents are quite prevalent on the metal badges and plastic body. I've gone through enough of them to know and even the current ZOE and AOE I have on me now is nowhere near perfect. In fact, their standard variant of earbuds are those that I have not had problems with, e.g. regular Monk Plus, Asura 2.0s, Zen 2.0, etc.

And not forgetting the Lyra Collection that was replaced twice and eventually changed to a SWD2+ by the seller. Perhaps I'm just unlucky, but I have a new pair of Moondrop Liebesleid that's incoming and I can only hope for the best.

DBaldock9, HungryPanda and seanc6441 like this.
  8. seanc6441
    We cannot all just be 'unlucky'. It's a pattern of QC issues. And I agree that some earbuds (the monk plus for instance) are built to higher standards than many others including many TOTL earbuds.

palestofwhite likes this.
  9. palestofwhite
    I'm equally puzzled and felt bad for the waste of time and effort to keep shipping things back and forth. It's as if I've some sort of integrity issue or a nuisance of a bad customer.
    For one, the replacement policies from both sellers have worked out fine for me, but I really feel more can be done for QC in the first place to circumvent that.

It's worrying to have to go through a lottery for TOTL while the basic and cheaper earbuds almost always arrives perfect. For now I'll be avoiding expensive earbuds that are more of a "DIY" nature, unless the company is reputed for good craftsmanship and warranty coverage.

seanc6441 likes this.
  10. snip3r77
    seems like SL 1+ plus CE is leading the pack in 2019.

waynes world likes this.
  11. chinmie
    you can also use this method to speed up "burn in" process, although it will look mighty weird you going sucking and blowing that earbuds repeatedly :dt880smile::dt880smile:

i tried and compared my unit to at least four other (balanced and SE versions), all of them sounded similar and haven't heard anyone mention any trouble with them, so I'm hoping your unit will also be no problem. the only times I've heard moondrop products that would mysteriously dies on one side is the old batch Crescent iem. even that is fixed ad far as i know as they released a new batch/version already

palestofwhite likes this.
  12. palestofwhite
    That sounds really promising. I purchased the Liebesleid from the Indonesian seller that sells the Kubes, and he's really helpful. They were shipped out earlier today.

13. seanc6441
    More listening time and a bit of tuning with the TO600.

These are really really good drivers. I felt the tuning wasn't quiet perfect in stock in terms of how much dampening is on the only vent (these are 90% closed back with one vent). Because there's only one vent its extremely sensitive to dampening changes and you can pretty much decide if you want warm or bright or neutral with these.

In stock they are a little bloated/too warm in the low mids and the bass could hit deeper (the driver is capable in the bass but the design/dampening was pushing it more towards full warm mid bass than night flat bass response.

Dampening with a very pourous sponge piece and applying VE full foams (the red/blue ones that are fairly thin but medium density and transparent sounding). This tightens up the bass and gives just enough depth. Mids are extremely clean now and touching on dead neutral. Treble to some will be considered slightly bright around 5khz but neutral and detailed for the most part.

Imaging takes a nice boost, soundstage loses some slight airy quality, because you are closing the shell slightly more but gains better sense of separation because of the better imaging and more neutral response. The trade is definitely worth it in my opinion.

I think i hear a little bit of cup reflection which is something I might try to remove by opening the shell and dampening the inner chamber with very thin felt/foam or dynamat.

20190206_042212.jpg

14. ballog
    @Themilkman46290 Is that why your alias is 'The Milk Man' ? Also do you mean 2 intead of 3?:ksc75smile:

Themilkman46290 likes this.
  15. seanc6441
    Maybe he actually meant to say Wives, not wife's ^^

DBaldock9 likes this.