Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #36,526 of 75,075
Awesomeness

Bavnick,

Thanks again for the BKs. How much are the Moonbuds and where do you place them in terms of sound signature compared to the BKs?

I was a little burnt on diy recommendations that said the Willsound pk16 was neutral and great. They just arent worth their $40 unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #36,527 of 75,075
I like the old ourart Ti7 buds, but wished they had a bit more bass. I looked at the specs that compare the new version with the old and saw one spec that made me think that they are using a different driver...it says it uses a super thin driver vs. thin. So, maybe it’s not just a tuning but a more capable driver.
The wording some sellers use isn't too reliable, so it's hard to say.

I agree though, the ourart with a bass boost was very nice (although admittedly the driver wasn't very cable of sub bass extension by pushing the EQ without a noticeable distortion.

I also boosted the highs to form a V shape, the mids were just delicious on the ourart though, very mature detailed tuning.

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #36,528 of 75,075
Bavnick,

Thanks again for the BKs. How much are the Moonbuds and where do you place them in terms of sound signature compared to the BKs?

I was a little burnt on diy recommendations that said the Willsound pk16 was neutral and great. They just arent worth their $40 unfortunately.
I really like the Pk16, but they aren't neutral. They are bright. Bright done really well.

BK have thicker mids and less controlled/textured bass than nightshade. The nightshade are smooth, not shouty at all. Nightshade are also 500ohms so they are not really buds aimed at the same usage.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #36,529 of 75,075
I like the old ourart Ti7 buds, but wished they had a bit more bass. I looked at the specs that compare the new version with the old and saw one spec that made me think that they are using a different driver...it says it uses a super thin driver vs. thin. So, maybe it’s not just a tuning but a more capable driver.

By tuning I am not saying it is merely adding/removing or changing the housing a bit here and there. Changing/modding the driver composition (diaphragm, coil, magnet, etc) in a minor degree is also an effective way of tuning, as opposite to using a completely new driver.

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #36,530 of 75,075
The BK do not lack treble in the slightest. They are brighter than my AKG K7XX, and more refined in the treble than ever other earbud I own. I use the thin foams with them so YMMV. I do notice the treble smooths out quite a bit if I'm using Heigi donuts. I don't think the BKs are intended for them imo.

But do they have better (more present) treble than Cygnus?

Because Cygnus is less clear with less treble than PK2.

This guy highlights what I've been reading about BK a lot:

Anybody have experience with PK1 or OK1?

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #36,531 of 75,075

I, for one, think something goofy is going on with his pair. I often get the same impressions as he does on gear, but the bk I had (and sold) did not sound like he describes.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #36,533 of 75,075
I really like the Pk16, but they aren't neutral. They are bright. Bright done really well.

BK have thicker mids and less controlled/textured bass than nightshade. The nightshade are smooth, not shouty at all. Nightshade are also 500ohms so they are not really buds aimed at the same usage.

Interesting that you like the PK16. I find their upper-mid sound to have a weird, rounded off effect. Not natural sounding whatsoever, whereas the BKs have a more natural bright upper-mid lower treble presentation. Wow, 500ohms??? Definitely not the same usage because the PKs run perfectly well off a phone :wink:.

Oct 13, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #36,534 of 75,075

I have the exact opposite opinion of this guy BUT, I know exactly why he is saying what he is saying. If you notice, he is using Heigi's donut foams. I too have Heigi's foams, and when used with the BK it completely smoothes over the highs, and the bass starts bleeding into the mids. If he actually tried to use these with thin foams like VE foams or those $0.89 for 100 from Ali Express (these are the ones I use), the sound signature is drastically different. Bass is tight, does not interfere with the mids, the mids are fantastic, the lower highs are good but they are a bit shouty (Bavnick and I agree on this). Upper treble is pretty airy as well.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #36,535 of 75,075
What is moonbud
I received Heron and Hummingbird this week. I haven't really listened to Hummingbird yet, but listened to Heron for a couple of hours. Very nice full sound without being too bright. And they look lovely - they come in nice semi-hard cases that Moon will engrave with your name, and soft cloth pouches that say "Viet Nam." I like the details such as the Moon logo on the splitter and cable wrap. All these little touches make Moonbuds look like a premium product.

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #36,536 of 75,075
I received Heron and Hummingbird this week. I haven't really listened to Hummingbird yet, but listened to Heron for a couple of hours. Very nice full sound without being too bright. And they look lovely - they come in nice semi-hard cases that Moon will engrave with your name, and soft cloth pouches that say "Viet Nam." I like the details such as the Moon logo on the splitter and cable wrap. All these little touches make Moonbuds look like a premium product.

The real question: How much are they?

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #36,537 of 75,075
For some reason that I don't quite understand, many of the small DIY bud makers (Moonbuds, Cypherus, Blur.....) say "PM for price" when asked, so I guess I should not say? Moonbuds has 3 tiers of products. Hummingbird is mid-tier, and Heron is TOTL. The TOTL are in the range of the high-end Blurs, though not as much expensive as Cypherus. :shrug:

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #36,538 of 75,075
C809EB38-4414-4341-8E6B-85B71342E45E.jpeg Here is a picture of Hummimgbird

Oct 13, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #36,539 of 75,075
I would hope so, the pricing quotes I got for their TOTL buds are very premium pricing... But if the SQ matches the price it seems to be worth it as the earbuds from Moom look amazing.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #36,540 of 75,075
For some reason that I don't quite understand, many of the small DIY bud makers (Moonbuds, Cypherus, Blur.....) say "PM for price" when asked, so I guess I should not say? Moonbuds has 3 tiers of products. Hummingbird is mid-tier, and Heron is TOTL. The TOTL are in the range of the high-end Blurs, though not as much expensive as Cypherus. :shrug:
I imagine they say it because shipping and different customization options may mean slightly different rates. I don't think you are under any obligation to keep it a secret but its your choice :)

Personally I'd rather a seller be transparent about his/her pricing because it makes it easier as a consumer to choose a product. If the rate is variable then say its variable.

"PM for price" gives the impression that its certain rates for certain buyers... Or the seller will boost the price if the item becomes popular.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back