Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 24, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #35,611 of 74,632
Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll be using it with a hybrid tube amp mostly at my desktop.
Does that amp have that warm full sound associated with most tube amps? If so I can see how the eb2 would be a nice pairing in that case.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #35,612 of 74,632
Does that amp have that warm full sound associated with most tube amps? If so I can see how the eb2 would be a nice pairing in that case.
I'm using different tubes than the stock ones and it is somewhat warmer. I think it brings out the details more. I should roll the op-amp in it as well but overall pretty pleased for when I get a chance to just sit and listen. Reminds me of my old Marantz receiver I had in the late 70's.

Sep 24, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #35,613 of 74,632
So the EB2 would be a noticeable upgrade in sound from say, MX500 Bro (earbud) or Vido or Monk+ for example then? I still haven't seen a review anywhere on the MX500 Bro from NiceHCK. Any difference in size from MX500 shell? Also looking at the Faaeal Datura-X. Want a full rich sound with greater details than the MX500 Bro.
The EB2 is a good bud. It has a really good clear vocal section. It doesn’t have a very defined bass section though. It’s hard to tell a bass note from a kick drum, for instance. It has nice separation ands a wide soundstage.
The Datura X also has a pretty wide soundstage but it is altogether fuller sounding and more balanced. It has a bigger and more defined bass section. I like it better, but enjoy both.
The EB2 is small and comfortable while the Datura X is built very sturdily but also very comfortable. I like the braided cable on the Datura better than the encapsulated cable on the EB2. Both are nice, though.

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #35,614 of 74,632
The EB2 is a good bud. It has a really good clear vocal section. It doesn’t have a very defined bass section though. It’s hard to tell a bass note from a kick drum, for instance. It has nice separation ands a wide soundstage.
The Datura X also has a pretty wide soundstage but it is altogether fuller sounding and more balanced. It has a bigger and more defined bass section. I like it better, but enjoy both.
The EB2 is small and comfortable while the Datura X is built very sturdily but also very comfortable. I like the braided cable on the Datura better than the encapsulated cable on the EB2. Both are nice, though.

A lot will be buying both because of this EVIL haha

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #35,615 of 74,632
Sep 24, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #35,616 of 74,632
Agreed but only on some tracks it's apperant that's why I boost the sub bass but don't touch the mid bass. Not because it's particularly mid-bassy or bloated but I feel like the bass needs to be tilted slightly to separate the sub bass from the upper bass. Adding a few DB at 16-32hz and boosting the 650hz 'low mids' helped define the bass.

There's also the question of how the foams are covering the back ports. The EB2 is particularly open on each side as much or more so than mx500 shells. How much foams are reducing the airflow would have a big impact on the low end performance.

Thicker foams would actually restrict more air flow and possibly tighten up the bass while helping sub bass impact with the seal.

What foams are you using out of curiosity?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #35,617 of 74,632
A lot will be buying both because of this EVIL haha
I know! So evil! :)

Agreed but only on some tracks it's apperant that's why I boost the sub bass but don't touch the mid bass. Not because it's particularly mid-bassy or bloated but I feel like the bass needs to be tilted slightly to separate the sub bass from the upper bass. Adding a few DB at 16-32hz and boosting the 650hz 'low mids' helped define the bass.

There's also the question of how the foams are covering the back ports. The EB2 is particularly open on each side as much or more so than mx500 shells. How much foams are reducing the airflow would have a big impact on the low end performance.

Thicker foams would actually restrict more air flow and possibly tighten up the bass while helping sub bass impact with the seal.

What foams are you using out of curiosity?
I'm using those $1 for a 100 Aliexpress foams. I find them to be the best for these two buds. I've used full foams on the EB2, and it brings up the bass...but it kind of floods out the best parts of that bud, and doesn't really add definition to the bass. So, I let it do what I think it does best and leave it at that. Still, I like it.
I don't use EQ, because I don't use my buds on my my computer (I could do it with Audinirvana or JRiver). I usually use them straight from a DAP or with my DAP and portable amps. DAP EQ's pretty much stink (at least the ones that I have). So, EQing a bud for me, is not really an option (maybe the AP80 with the Mage8 EQ/DSP might work, but we'll see when I get that one).

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #35,618 of 74,632
20180925_104227-01.jpeg

because my curiosity on the EX1000, a really nice friend of mine lent me his so i could try them out. now that i have tried them, I'm not lusting too much about it anymore, because the Samsara (and also the PS100-500) is pound per pound can match it's performance, and without the fatiguing treble of the EX. it does have a great large soundstage for an IEM, but in the earbud world, that size is more common. so in the world of semi-open IEMs, I'd rather put my money on even the same priced earbuds counterpart. muuuch better sound to price ratio in my personal opinion.

when compared to the closed IEMs, especially those with BA or hybrid tech however, then the choice might be more complicated, because they have different sets of weaknesses and strengths

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #35,619 of 74,632
Well, I ended up ordering the EB2's I'm hoping a warm sound source will make the difference for me. Really looking for more detail at this point. It isn't a search for the holy grail but would like a full sound across the spectrum. At a later point, I will be looking for the grail :) but can't afford at this time.

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #35,620 of 74,632
Well, I ended up ordering the EB2's I'm hoping a warm sound source will make the difference for me. Really looking for more detail at this point. It isn't a search for the holy grail but would like a full sound across the spectrum. At a later point, I will be looking for the grail :) but can't afford at this time.

Why does EB2 need a warm source?

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #35,621 of 74,632
DSC_0147.jpg

Willsound MK1 Special Edition

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #35,623 of 74,632
Sep 25, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #35,624 of 74,632

because my curiosity on the EX1000, a really nice friend of mine lent me his so i could try them out. now that i have tried them, I'm not lusting too much about it anymore, because the Samsara (and also the PS100-500) is pound per pound can match it's performance, and without the fatiguing treble of the EX. it does have a great large soundstage for an IEM, but in the earbud world, that size is more common. so in the world of semi-open IEMs, I'd rather put my money on even the same priced earbuds counterpart. muuuch better sound to price ratio in my personal opinion.

now that's tempting, was just discussing with a friend about ordering the EX1000 (or at least the EX800ST) since they're still comparable to even the Andromeda. Which version of the PS100-500, may I ask? looks a lot cheaper than the Samsara (if my googling is right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back