Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 22, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #29,296 of 75,144
This is pretty much becoming a widespread issue with budget earbuds (even some more expensive ones according to some people). As I've said before, the issue is MX type of design and how much modern membranes are moving resulting in small dents on the membrane when it contacts front cover (at first happens when there is a lot of bass and loud volume). Over time, it builds up until membrane is dislodged and rattling becomes constant.
We pretty much need a radical shift towards a dome shaped front cover - PT15 appears to be exactly that but there is a plastic part below metal which is probably flatter.

Here is a photo of PT15 vs MX front cover (found here, around 1000th page):

Very interesting! Do you have any examples of buds with such a dome shaped front cover?

Mar 22, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #29,297 of 75,144
Very interesting! Do you have any examples of buds with such a dome shaped front cover?

Finding examples is actually very hard, there aren't many. There are some that appear to be but are actually quite flat inside similarly to PT15. I think that original Apple earpods from a decade ago had a dome shape.
MX or PK front covers are so popular that from budget to totl stuff, and there are variations which have metal grills and slightly different hole placements.

FENGRU HYCK100 has a beautiful front cover, also new K's Ling earbuds have dome shaped front (not full dome but enough probably to give the driver 1mm of extra breathing room):

Newest-K-s-Earphone-Black-Ling-Brass-Cavirt-Metal-Earbud-font-b-HIFI-b-font-Fever.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #29,298 of 75,144
I see sean. Think you have a point there. I prefer low impedance phones and could sound great with any source amped or not. I really like the NiceHCK DIY Graphene ($29). So maybe something that has the same signature or tonality but TOTL quality. Price can go as high as $300. :wink: Looking at the Ling series but the high ohms does not suit me.
The new Cypherus Zoomfred sounds like something you might want reading the opinions on here it's tight punchy bass, clear mids and extended brighter treble. Seem's quite like what others have experienced with the graphenes but at a TOTL level.

Mar 22, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #29,299 of 75,144
I see sean. Think you have a point there. I prefer low impedance phones and could sound great with any source amped or not. I really like the NiceHCK DIY Graphene ($29). So maybe something that has the same signature or tonality but TOTL quality. Price can go as high as $300. :wink: Looking at the Ling series but the high ohms does not suit me.

If you are looking for a ToTL DIY Graphene sounding earbuds, the first thing that comes to my mind is the MoonDrop Liebesleid. The Ling series will not be what I'll recommend as they are smoother sounding and quite different from the kind of sound signature you are looking for.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #29,300 of 75,144
Since it became clear that my **** PT15 weren't the old version so the flaws I perceived weren't due to that, I have tinkered a bit with different foams and even went down the route of hockey-tape to see if I could get a better fit/seal. I actually like them a lot now, even for heavy music. Not sure if I prefer regular foam with some tape underneath as padding or just a donut+thin. Either way it sounds better now and EQ-ing up the bass just a little also helped.

Or well, it did. But as I was typing this the right one suddenly started rattling. Typical...

edit: Yep, sounding worse by the minute, Tried the audiocheck test and the right bud is rattling through almost the entire sweep. :frowning2:

Oh no! Sorry to hear.

I need to experiment with sealing on mine.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #29,301 of 75,144
If you are looking for a ToTL DIY Graphene sounding earbuds, the first thing that comes to my mind is the MoonDrop Liebesleid. The Ling series will not be what I'll recommend as they are smoother sounding and quite different from the kind of sound signature you are looking for.

I always figured that I was a "smooth" kinda guy, but based on how much I like the $29 NiceHCK DIY Graphene's, who knows. Anyway, thanks for that info. Time for me to start lusting over the Liebesleid!

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #29,302 of 75,144
Anyone on here have any of the more recent Blur buds and able to offer some sound impressions? I keep seeing loads of different versions posted on EA by Wong and others, but no-one ever mentions how they sound.

Mar 22, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #29,304 of 75,144
@haiku : V-Master from Thailand, right? If you have a chance going to Thailand, I recommended you try Prakarnniranam Toxic Poison or Nordost Heimdall2, and especially the newest DIY one called 'Miracle' earbuds by Mr. Ssp Sutipong.

Recently I'd a chance to try 'Miracle' buds. It is quite something special. The driver itself is hand-made production. He spent a lot of time in R&D, sorting parts. One of the interesting is its diaphragm is from one of legendary buds and he does further improve by special more coating. In shorts, The driver is not a simply instant driver sold as usual in taobao, aliexpress, or etc.

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #29,305 of 75,144
The new Cypherus Zoomfred sounds like something you might want reading the opinions on here it's tight punchy bass, clear mids and extended brighter treble. Seem's quite like what others have experienced with the graphenes but at a TOTL level.
I wouldn't call the treble bright anymore. Before burn in they were pretty bright, but now I don't get that feeling anymore.

Anyone here have trouble with seal and frequency imbalance? The ZoomFred sounds like all the bass is in my right ear. I switched channels and the right ear still sounded bassier. Did a sine sweep with these and the Diomnes, and I had no imbalance issues with the Diomnes. I know the Diomnes housings are larger so they make a really snug fit, so I figured it's mainly a seal issue.

I do have a slight issue with hearing bass in my left ear, but with the ZoomFred it seems amplified and it's so distracting that it's ruining my enjoyment of these buds. I may need need to stick with IEMs for bass after all...

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #29,306 of 75,144
Thinking of getting rose masya or samsara in the sale. My current high end buds are blurs which I love. Which of the two I mentioned are best or am I better off going for shozy no?

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #29,307 of 75,144
Meant bk

Mar 22, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #29,308 of 75,144
Thinking of getting rose masya or samsara in the sale. My current high end buds are blurs which I love. Which of the two I mentioned are best or am I better off going for shozy no?
Not sure if there is any better at that point+they all have very different sound sig; it's more of a personal preferences matter and what you look for in your next earbuds...
"Music Preferences:
Metal, classic rock, hip hop, edm"
Samsara is warm fun sound with heavy bass slam but still balanced, good clarity and details... imo it would fit well your music taste. Also a great complement of blur... But that's my logic. You may want more midcentric and analytical earbuds.

Mar 22, 2018 at 4:06 PM Post #29,309 of 75,144
Samsara sound like my sort of buds

Mar 22, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #29,310 of 75,144
Probably the samsara for its price during the sale is the option to choose.

Remember it is 300ohm though, you need an adequate source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back