Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:10 AM Post #29,281 of 75,130
@chinmie seeing as you have heard both the liebesleid and poseidon I was wondering which foams you were using on both?

I’m trying to determine if the poseidon with super thin monk/aliexpress foams will have enough sparkle in the treble to justify it over the liebesleid which as you say has more focus on the upper frequencies.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #29,282 of 75,130
@chinmie seeing as you have heard both the liebesleid and poseidon I was wondering which foams you were using on both?

I’m trying to determine if the poseidon with super thin monk/aliexpress foams will have enough sparkle in the treble to justify it over the liebesleid which as you say has more focus on the upper frequencies.

i don't have the Poseidon, but i had a chance auditioning them when i met @zeta555 a while ago (great guy. thanks bro!)

i forgot what foam he used, i think it was the stock ones, so regular thickness i presume.
I use hiegi full foams on my Liebesleid.
i reckon using thin foams on the Poseidon would let more treble, but it will not be the same character as the Liebesleid.

maybe @ClieOS could give better opinion, because he has both.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #29,283 of 75,130
i don't have the Poseidon, but i had a chance auditioning them when i met @zeta555 a while ago (great guy. thanks bro!)

i forgot what foam he used, i think it was the stock ones, so regular thickness i presume.
I use hiegi full foams on my Liebesleid.
i reckon using thin foams on the Poseidon would let more treble, but it will not be the same character as the Liebesleid.

maybe @ClieOS could give better opinion, because he has both.
Because I love using the thinnest foams possible in a sense I opt for balanced-darker buds sometimes and let the thin foams bump up the treble and control the bass somewhat. So while the signature of the liebesleid sounds good to me, in practice I might actually prefer the poseidon with thin foams.

I really dislike what heigi foams (full and donut) do to the sound for my ears, they seem to dampen the airyness being more sealed. That’s why I love thin foams, they really provide the most transparent and airy sound.

Also the smoother the sound the better seeing as thin foams can reveal more harshness if the earbud/source files have any.

All this being moot since the poseidon isn’t available anymore, at least not the normal one, no way I’m paying through the roof for a precious metal version.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #29,284 of 75,130
I used generic, regular thickness foam on Liebesleid, as it is a brighter sounding earbud and a bit of foam helps to add a little bit of warmness back to the mix. Poseidon, on the other hand, is already a smooth and warm sounding earbud, so I opt for my own MHF (Multi-Holes Foam) that give good seal without any overdampening.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 8:56 AM Post #29,285 of 75,130
Because I love using the thinnest foams possible in a sense I opt for balanced-darker buds sometimes and let the thin foams bump up the treble and control the bass somewhat. So while the signature of the liebesleid sounds good to me, in practice I might actually prefer the poseidon with thin foams.

I really dislike what heigi foams (full and donut) do to the sound for my ears, they seem to dampen the airyness being more sealed. That’s why I love thin foams, they really provide the most transparent and airy sound.

depends on the earbuds really.. some benefits with the thin ones, while some are better with hiegi for me (you can see my profile on which foams i currently use for each buds). sometimes even that can change when I'm bored, but essentially that is what i think the best for them (again, for me)

Usually i tried them first without foams, then:
-if the bass is enough, use thin foams
-if the mids is too forward, use donuts
-if the the bass lacking, use full foams

if i tried all foams and still not satisfied or didn't find the right sound, i sell them :ksc75smile:

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #29,286 of 75,130
depends on the earbuds really.. some benefits with the thin ones, while some are better with hiegi for me (you can see my profile on which foams i currently use for each buds). sometimes even that can change when I'm bored, but essentially that is what i think the best for them (again, for me)

Usually i tried them first without foams, then:
-if the bass is enough, use thin foams
-if the mids is too forward, use donuts
-if the the bass lacking, use full foams

if i tried all foams and still not satisfied or didn't find the right sound, i sell them :ksc75smile:
Hey nice to see someone else who uses donuts/full to either push forward or recess the mids slightly... Its a cool little trick!

I find the thin foams really bring out the vocals so I use them on the BS1 but obviously with the BK being so forward you need donuts to relax it a little.

Mar 22, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #29,287 of 75,130
Something to "xcited" about :grin:

DSC_0128_resize.JPG

DSC_0130_resize.JPG

Without further ado....

EB45.jpg

Simphonio Dragon2+ (SWD2+)
Shozy BK Limited

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #29,290 of 75,130
Currently looking at the seahf 150 and the mx760 graphenes. Can anybody compare these 2?

Hope i can find some more juicy AE deals.
Of the two you mention the Seahf 150 is the better imo

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #29,291 of 75,130
Since it became clear that my **** PT15 weren't the old version so the flaws I perceived weren't due to that, I have tinkered a bit with different foams and even went down the route of hockey-tape to see if I could get a better fit/seal. I actually like them a lot now, even for heavy music. Not sure if I prefer regular foam with some tape underneath as padding or just a donut+thin. Either way it sounds better now and EQ-ing up the bass just a little also helped.

Or well, it did. But as I was typing this the right one suddenly started rattling. Typical...

edit: Yep, sounding worse by the minute, Tried the audiocheck test and the right bud is rattling through almost the entire sweep. :frowning2:

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #29,292 of 75,130
I used generic, regular thickness foam on Liebesleid, as it is a brighter sounding earbud and a bit of foam helps to add a little bit of warmness back to the mix. Poseidon, on the other hand, is already a smooth and warm sounding earbud, so I opt for my own MHF (Multi-Holes Foam) that give good seal without any overdampening.

Hey ClieOS, without further ado, could you kindly give us a quick sound description of each of these TOTL earbuds you have and which is your current personal favorite? I may have some money to spend so looking at the Moondrop, Shozy, K's earphones and other TOTL earbuds to buy next. Up to now, I am still not convinced with the BS1. Hope you can share something to us who hunger for valuable information from the Master. Thanks!

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #29,293 of 75,130
Hey ClieOS, without further ado, could you kindly give us a quick sound description of each of these TOTL earbuds you have and which is your current personal favorite? I may have some money to spend so looking at the Moondrop, Shozy, K's earphones and other TOTL earbuds to buy next. Up to now, I am still not convinced with the BS1. Hope you can share something to us who hunger for valuable information from the Master. Thanks!
ClieOS has probably 30 TOTL earbuds at a guess... You really gonna subject him to that kind of torture? LMAO

Might be better if you gave him/us your ideal preferences and music genres and let him tell you which earbuds suit :)

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #29,294 of 75,130
Since it became clear that my **** PT15 weren't the old version so the flaws I perceived weren't due to that, I have tinkered a bit with different foams and even went down the route of hockey-tape to see if I could get a better fit/seal. I actually like them a lot now, even for heavy music. Not sure if I prefer regular foam with some tape underneath as padding or just a donut+thin. Either way it sounds better now and EQ-ing up the bass just a little also helped.

Or well, it did. But as I was typing this the right one suddenly started rattling. Typical...

edit: Yep, sounding worse by the minute, Tried the audiocheck test and the right bud is rattling through almost the entire sweep. :frowning2:

This is pretty much becoming a widespread issue with budget earbuds (even some more expensive ones according to some people). As I've said before, the issue is MX type of design and how much modern membranes are moving resulting in small dents on the membrane when it contacts front cover (at first happens when there is a lot of bass and loud volume). Over time, it builds up until membrane is dislodged and rattling becomes constant.
We pretty much need a radical shift towards a dome shaped front cover - PT15 appears to be exactly that but there is a plastic part below metal which is probably flatter.

Here is a photo of PT15 vs MX front cover (found here, around 1000th page):
9469431.jpg

Mar 22, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #29,295 of 75,130
ClieOS has probably 30 TOTL earbuds at a guess... You really gonna subject him to that kind of torture? LMAO

Might be better if you gave him/us your ideal preferences and music genres and let him tell you which earbuds suit :)

I see sean. Think you have a point there. I prefer low impedance phones and could sound great with any source amped or not. I really like the NiceHCK DIY Graphene ($29). So maybe something that has the same signature or tonality but TOTL quality. Price can go as high as $300. :wink: Looking at the Ling series but the high ohms does not suit me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back