Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #28,696 of 75,077
The earpod design isn’t half bad, although I can imagine it takes a lot of tuning to make it sound right with the shell design.

I’d love to hear a capable driver inside a better contructed and updated earpod, with a more comfortable shell.
If you go back to the actual Apple earpod with this design, they actually sound very good. Better than half the budget earbuds that I've tried and super comfy. I actually took the drivers out of the previous version that were designed like regular earbuds and stuck those drivers in a Yuin shell. The sound was great. Really good drivers in those as well. Very spacious and wide.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #28,697 of 75,077
Drop around 2.4k by like 2db and raise the upper treble gently by 1db. Also push up sub bass 1-2 db. Sound very natural so it can me fixed with EQ. Good to know.

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #28,698 of 75,077
@MarkCavendish
I recently modded my Auglamour RX1 and it sounds phenomenal other than a slightly odd tonality somewhere in the mids (probably possible to EQ out if I found it). Overall neutral sound.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/absolute-best-budget-earbuds.812853/page-148#post-14078982

It’s so detailed and smooth. Extends better after the mods and has excellent treble now.

I REALLY love this modded version for the price. Unreal value if you opt for clarity and detail first and formost.
Haha, told you that foam tape mod was good! Now go try it on your Masya's. :) Glad somebody tried it.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #28,699 of 75,077
Haha, told you that foam tape mod was good! Now go try it on your Masya's. :)
Yes :) That was my next job after I did rx1 and BS1 lol

Although I’m less optimistic with the Masya because the issue isn’t extension of bass/treble, but the midrange being a little weak imo.

It’s alright just nothing to wow over^^

I’ll try the mod though!

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #28,700 of 75,077
Yeah after doing this and using super thin donut foams the bass is present, treble is properly extended so as to sound crisp and airy but never fatiguing and the mids and soundstage open up.

Vocals are still forward but not congested I find them nice. The tape is actually badminton grip lol, can be thin tennis grip either I guess. It’s got sticky tape on one side and foam/rubber on the other. It’s ideal for this use actually.

Sound improved considerably over stock rx1. The only persistent ‘issue’ is the tonality I think caused by a peak in the upper mids/lower treble possibly. Not a huge issue, just a slight glare on some tracks.

Clarity matches $100 earbuds in most cases, extremely detailed sound in the mids.

Extension is only a slight issue now, not nearly as prevelant as the stock fit of the RX1 and regular foams.
nice life hack lol

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #28,701 of 75,077
nice life hack lol

Silverfisha gave me the idea awhile back ^^

I mentioned that in the other thread I think. He is the one to praise when you buy an RX1 and turn it into a beast lol.

Seriously it’s phenomenal now.

You don’t need a $60vx pro or $100 bs1 right now. The $22 auglamour rx1, $3 badminton grip and $1 thin foams will give you what you want assuming your source can be EQ’d slightly (The EQ helps immensely).

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #28,703 of 75,077
Silverfisha gave me the idea awhile back ^^

I mentioned that in the other thread I think. He is the one to praise when you buy an RX1 and turn it into a beast lol.

Seriously it’s phenomenal now.

You don’t need a $60vx pro or $100 bs1 right now. The $22 auglamour rx1, $3 badminton grip and $1 thin foams will give you what you want assuming your source can be EQ’d slightly (The EQ helps immensely).
badminton grip is it same with road bike grip? i have some road bike grip but not sure it will suit

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #28,704 of 75,077
badminton grip is it same with road bike grip? i have some road bike grip but not sure it will suit
has to be this thin

image.jpg

Mar 3, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #28,707 of 75,077
Mar 3, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #28,710 of 75,077
Yes :) That was my next job after I did rx1 and BS1 lol

Although I’m less optimistic with the Masya because the issue isn’t extension of bass/treble, but the midrange being a little weak imo.

It’s alright just nothing to wow over^^

I’ll try the mod though!
That’s weird about your Masya’s because Masya is a vocal bud. They should be the most prominent thing in the sound spectrum. Have you tried reversing the inputs to make sure they are in the correct way? You never know if things are wired correctly...your ears will tell you....or a multimeter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back