Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 18, 2017 at 8:09 AM Post #24,961 of 74,626
So my MX985's have finally given in and I need some new quality earbuds. What's the top of the line ones with a more or less balanced sound, but preferably with a hint of warmth rather than a clinical sounding one. Shozy Stardust?
Stardust is everything you mentioned. Quite forward presentation if you enjoy a laid back sound look elsewhere.

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #24,962 of 74,626
whats the differences between the emx500 and graphene
My feeling of the differences of sounds.
EMX500 = Refreshing brightness. V-shaped with detailed treble + deep bass.
NICEHCK DIY Graphene MX760 = A little dry and clear treble + tight bass. Maybe sound a little like Shozy BK?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #24,963 of 74,626
If you want a better treble response and clarity I find the donuts can be easily bettered as the make the bk almost overly thick and full sounding and the treble is too polite for my liking.

The original monk thins (probably the ones you have now) were too thin in donut forum and treble was harsh.

So I bought the new VE ex pack with monk thin foams. These new thin foams are slightly thicker than the old thins, which is perfect for the stardust as it gives a nice balance between full thick and clear treble with a hint of warmth rather than saturated warm bassy sound.

I cut the thin into a donut and applied that to the stardust with the pre cut side on the front face for a clean finish (only the outer layer of vents are covered just like the heigi but thinner). Now I get a clean bass response, clear lush mids and a treble that’s exciting (although it’s definitely not polite so not for treble sensitive ears).

For me this is easily the best combo i’ve found so far, and I try every combo on my earbuds so rest assured it’s the best of all the options IMO.

how did u cut it???

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:29 AM Post #24,964 of 74,626
To save going back through the pages, what are the fave foams for the Shozy BK and the MX760 Graphenes?

I use hiegi full foams on the graphene. ve thin foams sounded too bright, while donuts make the mids hollow sounding

So my MX985's have finally given in and I need some new quality earbuds. What's the top of the line ones with a more or less balanced sound, but preferably with a hint of warmth rather than a clinical sounding one. Shozy Stardust?

yep, the stardust fits the bill. i like the liebesleid better though.. the treble and staging on that one sounds "expensive", for a lack of better description :smile:

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #24,967 of 74,626
If you want a better treble response and clarity I find the donuts can be easily bettered as the make the bk almost overly thick and full sounding and the treble is too polite for my liking.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I hear.

For me this is easily the best combo i’ve found so far, and I try every combo on my earbuds so rest assured it’s the best of all the options IMO.

Tidy! I recall you possting this the other week. I'll give it a go. I also got my bag of 100 black foams today. I'm guessing they might be the same thickness as the new Monk thins.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #24,972 of 74,626
Not much conversation on Yincrow X6 / Vido anymore. Is EMX500 that much better? Someone told that Vido is easier on highs than EMX500.

with stock cable, yes the emx is better than the vido, but i have a recabled vido, and i prefer that one compared to the emx. I haven't tried the yincrow yet

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #24,973 of 74,626
Yeah, that's pretty much what I hear.

Tidy! I recall you possting this the other week. I'll give it a go. I also got my bag of 100 black foams today. I'm guessing they might be the same thickness as the new Monk thins.
Little more treble gets through. But give it a go and see what you think.

One thing is for sure, the stardust responds better to donut than any full foam no matte how thin. I think it was designed this way so as to get optimal clarity but also a thick sound, donut foams really balance out the sound.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #24,974 of 74,626
Thanks for all the replies! How's the quality like on the Stardust? The housing looks pretty cheap on the photos I've found, but looks can be deceiving. Just regular plastic?
It’s quite the opposite. Sure the shell is a standard pk shell, but it’s finished with a high quality matte paint job that I consider a premium look and feel. It’s about as simple but classy as you can get from an earbud. I wouldn’t change a thing about the finish tbh.

Swapping from the diy pk2 glossy shell to this and you can tell which is the premium product here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back