Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 17, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #24,946 of 75,148
I enjoyed the result of Yinman 600 with Opus #1. Well, I respected what the Y600 was capable of, but it did not match my tastes enough to keep.

Kind of off topic, but having received my Massdrop Porta Pro, I immediately went for a quick listen to some Pink Floyd. Earbuds have spoiled me too much, as I had fond memories of my old Porta Pro I gave way to a friend, but this to my ears feels veiled/dulled. It's been several years since I last owned a legit one. I do imagine with time I'll readjust to the sound and appreciate it more, but for now, both Rose Tech & Cypherus Audio have somewhat spoiled me in this regard. Monk Plus also sounded better suited on a recent listen.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #24,947 of 75,148
I enjoyed the result of Yinman 600 with Opus #1. Well, I respected what the Y600 was capable of, but it did not match my tastes enough to keep.

Kind of off topic, but having received my Massdrop Porta Pro, I immediately went for a quick listen to some Pink Floyd. Earbuds have spoiled me too much, as I had fond memories of my old Porta Pro I gave way to a friend, but this to my ears feels veiled/dulled. It's been several years since I last owned a legit one. I do imagine with time I'll readjust to the sound and appreciate it more, but for now, both Rose Tech & Cypherus Audio have somewhat spoiled me in this regard. Monk Plus also sounded better suited on a recent listen.
You need to make the stratokosster diy headphone for ksc drivers to sound good now hehe.

There's some easier mods to do on the portapro mods forum... might help you get the most out of the ksc75.

Nov 17, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #24,948 of 75,148
Already have a SennGrado which is a pretty similar level of DIY from what I remember reading about that particular mod set. My particular enjoyment of PP & KSC75 was always the ear-clips, so I'd be more inclined to do something less like the kramer mods and such.

Nov 17, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #24,949 of 75,148
Already have a SennGrado which is a pretty similar level of DIY from what I remember reading about that particular mod set. My particular enjoyment of PP & KSC75 was always the ear-clips, so I'd be more inclined to do something less like the kramer mods and such.
Nice! I'm making a Senngrado very soon (px100ii driver, sapele wood cups). Have everything except the Cable (en route).

I just love the look of the Grado's and this option can be cheaper (if you spend wisely on supplies only though) and apperantly it can sound wondeful with a bit of TLC.

How does your sound? Did you like the outcome?

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #24,950 of 75,148
By best to worst fit: pk2 > nameless > graphene

As what others have mentioned,

Graphene sounds bright, but very neutral, widest range imo

Nameless is more easy when it comes to highs, tho bass suffers abit. but i prefer them for longer use as it is less fatiguing.

PK2 i'm abit mixed, they are good, but lack the sound staging when going up against the nameless & graphene.

I've tried heigi donuts vs thick foams, heigi seems to help deliver more bass? not sure if its bias on my end?
Realised for both my graphene and moondrop that the polarities (L/R) are reverse. :\ Fortunately they're earbuds, you can just wear them in the other ear easily. That being said, after listening for a while, Graphene is helluva competent earbud for its price. :)

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #24,951 of 75,148
Realised for both my graphene and moondrop that the polarities (L/R) are reverse. :\ Fortunately they're earbuds, you can just wear them in the other ear easily. That being said, after listening for a while, Graphene is helluva competent earbud for its price. :)

Yeah, my respect for the graphene hasn't diminished.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:00 AM Post #24,952 of 75,148
To save going back through the pages, what are the fave foams for the Shozy BK and the MX760 Graphenes? I currently have the supplied donuts on the BKs but think that can be bettered. I have yet to fit any foams on the graphene, as I haven't done any serious listening on them. I left them to burn (as it were). I have Monk thins I can try, but I am still waiting on the Hiegi donuts and full foams. Hopefully they will be here at the end of next week. I should have ordered them earlier.

Nov 18, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #24,954 of 75,148
To save going back through the pages, what are the fave foams for the Shozy BK and the MX760 Graphenes? I currently have the supplied donuts on the BKs but think that can be bettered. I have yet to fit any foams on the graphene, as I haven't done any serious listening on them. I left them to burn (as it were). I have Monk thins I can try, but I am still waiting on the Hiegi donuts and full foams. Hopefully they will be here at the end of next week. I should have ordered them earlier.
I always use Monk thin pad on Shozy BK and MX760 Graphene.
Because I watched the graph that Monk thin pad highlight the treble.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #24,955 of 75,148
So my MX985's have finally given in and I need some new quality earbuds. What's the top of the line ones with a more or less balanced sound, but preferably with a hint of warmth rather than a clinical sounding one. Shozy Stardust?

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:10 AM Post #24,957 of 75,148
So my MX985's have finally given in and I need some new quality earbuds. What's the top of the line ones with a more or less balanced sound, but preferably with a hint of warmth rather than a clinical sounding one. Shozy Stardust?

I would say either Cypherus CampFred 1 (discontinued) or CampFred 2. CampFred 1 is on about the same level as MX985 but with a slightly warmer sound. CampFred 2 is a small step up. Both CF have great sub bass compared to MX985 (the only thing I find lacking on MX980/985).

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:42 AM Post #24,959 of 75,148
Using Heigi donuts on my graphene now. Somehow I feel it gives me the best bass response and quantity, as compared to thick foams.

Nov 18, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #24,960 of 75,148

If you want a better treble response and clarity I find the donuts can be easily bettered as the make the bk almost overly thick and full sounding and the treble is too polite for my liking.

The original monk thins (probably the ones you have now) were too thin in donut forum and treble was harsh.

So I bought the new VE ex pack with monk thin foams. These new thin foams are slightly thicker than the old thins, which is perfect for the stardust as it gives a nice balance between full thick and clear treble with a hint of warmth rather than saturated warm bassy sound.

I cut the thin into a donut and applied that to the stardust with the pre cut side on the front face for a clean finish (only the outer layer of vents are covered just like the heigi but thinner). Now I get a clean bass response, clear lush mids and a treble that’s exciting (although it’s definitely not polite so not for treble sensitive ears).

For me this is easily the best combo i’ve found so far, and I try every combo on my earbuds so rest assured it’s the best of all the options IMO.

9DB97ADD-7309-474E-82CE-7EA0C085BF73.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back