Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 2, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #24,346 of 75,146
Yet another seahf fan. I have the AWK-F150C and it has a great sound, plenty of bass. I aim to keep my Shozy BK (nearly burned in, well 50 hours anyway) in good condition, so got the 150 so I can listen to music in bed, without the worry of damaging the more expensive ones! Waking up several hours after falling asleep to some doom metal or crazy psych stuff is a shocker. :)

I'd probably agree with a couple of impressions / reviews that the top end is slightly rolled off, but otherwise love them for all kinds of psychedelic rock, some doom and stoner, ambient, drone, experimental stuff, etc.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #24,347 of 75,146
@Paradoxus : Here is ctaxxxx Earbuds List. If you concern on bass slam, these three might be your short-listed.
1) Rose Mojito + try well-known brand upgraded cables to suit your preference. (If you are not anti-cable or cable hater, Mojito doesn't have cold tonality once the 'right' upgraded cable is paired.)
2) Cyherus Campfred 2
3) ABNormal Sound Diomnes Lv.2 (For this one, you have to send the original Monk (not monk+) to ABNormal for modding.

Does that also apply for the Masya? I don't know whether I believe in cables or not yet... but I'm willing to try something out to give Masya more weight/body to the vocals, a warmer fuller sound.

Nov 2, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #24,348 of 75,146
@seanc6441 : Likes I said previously to you. Search cable thread inside Head-fi. Look for any cable company sponsers for Head-fi website. Try by yourself. or go to your nearby local audio store.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #24,349 of 75,146
Let's say the Samsaras are more engaging than the K600s. So if you want to take on a more active/analytical listening approach to the music, the K600 are better suited.
I have all my gear listed in my profile page. :)
TY Hi-Z HP650 are all too dull in the tuning for my liking. Too much focus on the lower end, but still not managing to be brilliant in the low end.
Seahf AWK-F650S are not bad at all. Solid all the way around. One step above the K300 Pro/Seahf Smart 1.0 and around or about the K500, but still a step/few steps behind the K300 Samsara and K600.
But it's impossible for me to do an exact rank of the buds. It has so much to do with what source I'm listening to and the kind of music I'm playing.
Thanks, it's very helpful, I love the Seahf 650, I will consider the k's as an upgrade then :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #24,350 of 75,146
I modded my DIY Pk2 today when I had some free time. I'll show pics tomorrow but it involved drilling a bass port on the bottom and another on the vent at the back.

Now there's more emphasis in the bass, sub bass can be heard now and mid bass is slightly more boomy. To keep the bass clean you need to use monk thin foams, heigi will make it sound overpowering. Also there is more air about the instruments and vocals which makes the sound as a whole slightly less congested than before. It seems drilling either a port on the back or bottom alone actually decresed the sound quality, but drilling both has balanced out the sound with losing too much energy and precision of each note (still sounds tight in the mids/high's, but more open in the lows).

Overall the change brings it a step closer to Cygnus, but still the issue of instruments overpowering vocals remains. That seems to be a driver tuning flaw. Although it's not quite as pronounced as before either.

I'm waiting for your pictures and how to make it!
I hope they are not needed very complex tools.

Nov 2, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #24,351 of 75,146
After lurking on the forum for years, and being poisoned by many products, I've finally decided to make my first post, lol.

First came across this earbud thread about 6 weeks back and bought a load of cheap earbuds:
- TY Hi-Z 32
- TY Hi-Z 150 (non-bass)
- Monk+
- EMX500

I have the Vido, Svara L and RY4S on the way.

I'm now looking for a TOTL earbud with good bass. Am torn between the K's 500, Shozy Stardust BK, TY Hi-Z 650, Seahf 650. I've probably read 70% of this thread and can't find any good comparisons. Am hoping someone can help me.

Some background, I'm abit of a basshead, and have used the UE11s for almost a decade. Recently got a HE-400I and the Schiit stack. For my home theatre system, the single-most expensive product is my subwoofer (at about 1.3k USD).

Of all the earbuds, the EMX500 has been my favourite so far, and I use it with 1 hiegi full foam + 1 VE foam. The monk+ is worse with almost non-existent bass. Apart from the quantity of bass, I realise the bass slam and low the bass extends are important as well. Treble isn't important to me at all. With this in mind, I'm wondering which of the TOTL earbuds would be the most suited assuming I do not EQ at all? Am hoping to snag something on the 11.11 sale.

My vote goes to Cypherus CampFred2. Best sub bass I've heard in a pair of earbuds. However, Cypherus is a one man company and doesn't sell on Ali express. You'd have to get in touch with Herry aka Cypherus on Facebook or through the new Cypherus audio homepage.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #24,353 of 75,146
@seanc6441 : Likes I said previously to you. Search cable thread inside Head-fi. Look out any cable company sponsers for Head-fi website. Try by yourself. or go to your nearby local audio store.
I don't live near an audio store unfortunately and my question is about upgrade cables for masya affect specifically the warmth and add body to vocals, I will search and ask in the cables thread thanks.

Nov 2, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #24,354 of 75,146
I got the Graphenes a couple of days and I'm loving them. I don't find them bass light at all either. Don't know about sub bass because it's not a big feature of most of the music that I listen to but plenty of bass as in bass guitar frequencies. They did sound a little bass light when I first tried them but after twisting them to face forward a little rather than straight down, they sound great in all frequencies. I don't own any TOTL IEMs, headphones or earbuds but I'd say the Graphenes are the equal of the most expensive IEMs I do own, which are around $100. Really nice layers/separation, soundstage and detail retrieval to my ears. If it's true they improve with burn in then I'm looking forward to that as they've only had a bout 5 hours so far.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #24,355 of 75,146
After lurking on the forum for years, and being poisoned by many products, I've finally decided to make my first post, lol.

First came across this earbud thread about 6 weeks back and bought a load of cheap earbuds:
- TY Hi-Z 32
- TY Hi-Z 150 (non-bass)
- Monk+
- EMX500

I have the Vido, Svara L and RY4S on the way.

I'm now looking for a TOTL earbud with good bass. Am torn between the K's 500, Shozy Stardust BK, TY Hi-Z 650, Seahf 650. I've probably read 70% of this thread and can't find any good comparisons. Am hoping someone can help me.

Some background, I'm abit of a basshead, and have used the UE11s for almost a decade. Recently got a HE-400I and the Schiit stack. For my home theatre system, the single-most expensive product is my subwoofer (at about 1.3k USD).

Of all the earbuds, the EMX500 has been my favourite so far, and I use it with 1 hiegi full foam + 1 VE foam. The monk+ is worse with almost non-existent bass. Apart from the quantity of bass, I realise the bass slam and low the bass extends are important as well. Treble isn't important to me at all. With this in mind, I'm wondering which of the TOTL earbuds would be the most suited assuming I do not EQ at all? Am hoping to snag something on the 11.11 sale.

I have the following
- Monk+
- EMX500

On the way Rymall RY4S...will review it once i get it

i agree EMX500 is the best one in its price category. However the monks are good in their "attack" in some high quaity sound equiment. If u have a old late 2000s laptop realtek sound card , the monks + will especially shine with the Realtek sound enhacements turned on.

Nov 2, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #24,356 of 75,146
I'm waiting for your pictures and how to make it!
I hope they are not needed very complex tools.
I'll get around to that tomorrow :)

Not complex assuming you have a power drill and some small drill bits to make the ports/vents. I'm talking 1-2mm drill bits. I'll give a detailed post tomorrow.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #24,357 of 75,146
I got the Graphenes a couple of days and I'm loving them. I don't find them bass light at all either. Don't know about sub bass because it's not a big feature of most of the music that I listen to but plenty of bass as in bass guitar frequencies. They did sound a little bass light when I first tried them but after twisting them to face forward a little rather than straight down, they sound great in all frequencies. I don't own any TOTL IEMs, headphones or earbuds but I'd say the Graphenes are the equal of the most expensive IEMs I do own, which are around $100. Really nice layers/separation, soundstage and detail retrieval to my ears. If it's true they improve with burn in then I'm looking forward to that as they've only had a bout 5 hours so far.

Glad you hear them like I do! And that's a really good point about re-positioning them. I do the same thing with them and thought it was just the shape of my ears, so I never bothered mentioning it. But come to think of it, it is mainly only the graphenes that I re-position like that to really bring them alive, so maybe it's also a "graphenes" thing.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #24,358 of 75,146
Can you please compare the emx500 and the svara L. I am torn between these two.
I like a impactful and thumping bass with good treble and clarity. I dont mind a slightly recessed midrange as long as the quality is good.

Sorry I haven't received the Svara L yet, will do a comparison once they arrive.

My vote goes to Cypherus CampFred2. Best sub bass I've heard in a pair of earbuds. However, Cypherus is a one man company and doesn't sell on Ali express. You'd have to get in touch with Herry aka Cypherus on Facebook or through the new Cypherus audio homepage.

Thanks, just dropped him a message. The CampFred2's retail for US$199 + US$25 for shipping.

I have the following
- Monk+
- EMX500

On the way Rymall RY4S...will review it once i get it

i agree EMX500 is the best one in its price category. However the monks are good in their "attack" in some high quaity sound equiment. If u have a old late 2000s laptop realtek sound card , the monks + will especially shine with the Realtek sound enhacements turned on.

While i don't have the Realtek sound card, I'll give it a go with the Schiit stack and EQ. But i generally dislike the Monks+ out of all the other budget earbuds i've gotten.

@Paradoxus : Here is ctaxxxx Earbuds List. If you concern on bass slam, these three might be your short-listed.
1) Rose Mojito + try well-known brand upgraded cables to suit your preference. (If you are not anti-cable or cable hater, Mojito doesn't have cold tonality once the 'right' upgraded cable is paired.)
2) Cyherus Campfred 2
3) ABNormal Sound Diomnes Lv.2 (For this one, you have to send the original Monk (not monk+) to ABNormal for modding.

Thanks for the ctaxxxx list, extremely useful. Am swayed towards the Campfred2s now, they do seems like the popular vote.

I've read quite a few threads on the Rose Mojito. While i'm not adverse to changing the cables, they don't seem to excel in bass. Rather give it a miss and go for something else which has better bass out of the box.

Also the ABNormal Diomnes is out of production, oh well.

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:34 PM Post #24,359 of 75,146
Sennheiser MX985, Blox TM7, Venture Electronic Zen 1.0, Rose Technology Mojito.

Do you like wireless bluetooth headset?

I love the Zen 1.0. And I am very interested in wireless bluetooth earbuds. How can you help me? :)

Nov 2, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #24,360 of 75,146
@Paradoxus : I am very pleased to hear that one out of three will become your next buy. hehe. In case of Rose Mojito, It will be better if you already own any upgrade cables before and let's them try with Mojito. It is also about match&synergy thing that you should audition by yourself rather than blind buying by reading other reviews because they don't use exactly same system and earphones likes you. For Diomines Lv.2, it quite difficult to get it since you have to find an original monk in second-hand sales first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back