Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 18, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #22,156 of 75,077
I've just gotten myside a Fido. Hopefuly it would be a good start for my earbud journey. If I were to look for a better earbud, what would I be looking at?

Assuming you meant "Vido", I think that's a great start for your journey. I listen to my Vido's daily (even though I have much more expensive earbuds). The only problem for you is that you will think that all earbuds costing more than $5 must sound as good as the Vido, so you will start trying and buying many, and probably more expensive earbuds. And occasionally you will come back to the Vido's and think "why didn't I just save my money and stop at the Vido's"? Such is the thrill of the search for audio nirvana lol!

Aug 18, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #22,157 of 75,077
Just keep in mind if you prize vocals, Vido can come off as slightly disappointing at times. I know everyone loves it, as do I, but it does sometimes get oversold.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #22,158 of 75,077
Just keep in mind if you prize vocals, Vido can come off as slightly disappointing at times. I know everyone loves it, as do I, but it does sometimes get oversold.

Vocals? What are vocals? :wink:

Do you have a list of your preferred budget buds? I'm getting the itch to get another pair. Was thinking of the DIY EMX500. I would say that the Vido and Zen1 signatures appeal to me.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #22,159 of 75,077
@waynes world I'd generally say that the EMX500 is not quite as good at bass as Vido, but offers better mids to trade off, letting it be a little more balanced and a lot more versatile. I think it's the superior earbud sonically, but not by a big margin. It is by no means a slouch in the bass department, something that's very important to me. Sonically, my focus is bass with vocals ahead enough to not be ruined by the bass. For those two, it really more comes down to your preferences. Another alternative at the real budget range would be the TP16, but you're trading off a little bass again for vocals. If you lived in Indonesia, I'd suggest looking up Initiate Audio as their budget earbud offers wonderful bass and some respectable vocals too which makes me happy, but for me, the shipping fees were more than the earbud's cost, plus another 12 in Western Union fees, which together pushed it to around $45 or so, which IMO is outside budget range at that point.

Considering the two you really like, you're probably not going to find a real upgrade until you get to something like the new Hi-Z 150S which has some excellent bass with a little mids recession, as well as the SeaHF 320 Smart 1.0 which I'm unsure if it's still something you can find. I'm not going to say the 150S is amazing and the best thing ever, but from a bassy perspective, it's very solid for an earbud once EQ hits it.

My progression for that type of sound would most likely be Vido to 150S or Smart 1.0 to Edimun V3 Rhodium or Svara L to Zen 1, all of this assuming they're available. Between Edimun and Svara, the Edimun would be closer to the EMX500 sound where the Svara L is more about bass. I should mention that the Svara L might be quite difficult to find as they released a new version quite quickly after the original released, that I believe is 32 ohm, and I have not convinced myself to buy it to see how much the sound sig has changed. The stated goal of the change was to help those who listen to music via smartphone be capable of listening, as the original was 150 ohm unless I'm mistaken. By quickly, once the pre-orders arrived, they already has the new version for sale to replace the original.

Really though, I would imagine you'll most likely be happy with the EMX500, and if you're not, I can buy your pair so you're not out any money, and I'll have another spare if they disappear on us.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #22,162 of 75,077
P70818-193801.jpg

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #22,164 of 75,077
@waynes world I'd generally say that the EMX500 is not quite as good at bass as Vido, but offers better mids to trade off, letting it be a little more balanced and a lot more versatile. I think it's the superior earbud sonically, but not by a big margin. It is by no means a slouch in the bass department, something that's very important to me. Sonically, my focus is bass with vocals ahead enough to not be ruined by the bass. For those two, it really more comes down to your preferences. Another alternative at the real budget range would be the TP16, but you're trading off a little bass again for vocals. If you lived in Indonesia, I'd suggest looking up Initiate Audio as their budget earbud offers wonderful bass and some respectable vocals too which makes me happy, but for me, the shipping fees were more than the earbud's cost, plus another 12 in Western Union fees, which together pushed it to around $45 or so, which IMO is outside budget range at that point.

Considering the two you really like, you're probably not going to find a real upgrade until you get to something like the new Hi-Z 150S which has some excellent bass with a little mids recession, as well as the SeaHF 320 Smart 1.0 which I'm unsure if it's still something you can find. I'm not going to say the 150S is amazing and the best thing ever, but from a bassy perspective, it's very solid for an earbud once EQ hits it.

My progression for that type of sound would most likely be Vido to 150S or Smart 1.0 to Edimun V3 Rhodium or Svara L to Zen 1, all of this assuming they're available. Between Edimun and Svara, the Edimun would be closer to the EMX500 sound where the Svara L is more about bass.

Really though, I would imagine you'll most likely be happy with the EMX500, and if you're not, I can buy your pair so you're not out any money, and I'll have another spare if they disappear on us.

Awesome info Saoshyant - thanks! I will be reviewing the buds that you mention, but for now I will definitely be getting the EMX500's.

And thanks for the kind offer. I won't be taking you up on that offer for something like the EMX500's, but I am interested in the Beyerdynamics DT1990's. You in? :wink: :wink: :wink:

:beerchug:

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #22,165 of 75,077
Awesome info Saoshyant - thanks! I will be reviewing the buds that you mention, but for now I will definitely be getting the EMX500's.

And thanks for the kind offer. I won't be taking you up on that offer for something like the EMX500's, but I am interested in the Beyerdynamics DT1990's. You in? :wink: :wink: :wink:

:beerchug:

Ha, I may be nice, but I'm also probably about to buy a used pair of ZMF Ori, that much might be a little more than I'm willing to go.

Aug 18, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #22,166 of 75,077
EMX500 are fantastic. would dare to say unbelievable for the price. I prefer these to HP150S which I find unbalanced (too v shaped)

If possible, please provide an aliexpress link (too many options - confusing!). Thanks.

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #22,167 of 75,077
150S - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...iFi-Earbuds-Earphone/1994049_32819126358.html

EMX500 that I bought - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html

EMX500 paired with Walnut for better overall price - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...pport-32GB-TF-Card-Expansion/32727723202.html

If I remember you already have a Walnut, so the last link is pointless, but someone might find the combo price appealing, at least for the V2S as it makes the EMX500 cost $2.29.

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #22,168 of 75,077
150S - https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...iFi-Earbuds-Earphone/1994049_32819126358.html

EMX500 that I bought - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...ass-Earbuds-DJ-Earbuds-Heavy/32789378048.html

EMX500 paired with Walnut for better overall price - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...pport-32GB-TF-Card-Expansion/32727723202.html

If I remember you already have a Walnut, so the last link is pointless, but someone might find the combo price appealing, at least for the V2S as it makes the EMX500 cost $2.29.

Thanks again! Yes, I do have the Walnut (with burson v5i) that I listen to it daily. Initially I didn't think that I could handle a screenless dap, but I love it and it's the only thing holding me back from getting a cayin n3 lol. So you're doing headfiers a great service posting that walnut link!

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #22,169 of 75,077
So, I got a new "toy" just because I was feeling nostalgic. Found a used functional Sony WM-D6C for not an overly obnoxious sum, and I wanted to treat myself, so why not. I have to laugh at the power output, because Zen 2 for example requires quite a bit out of my Opus #1, and Shanling M1 can get the volume high enough but isn't doing any favors. Realistically, neither of those are going to drive it to full potential, but I can always slap on an amp if desired. Now, the D6C is probably 5 times the volume roughly of the Opus, but I'm listening to the Zen 2 at 3/10 volume, so I have a bit of room to breathe. Time to dig through my cassettes for something awesome.... actually, time to grab CampFred 2 first.

Aug 18, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #22,170 of 75,077
EMX500 are fantastic. would dare to say unbelievable for the price. I prefer these to HP150S which I find unbalanced (too v shaped)

When I first heard emx500 I thought they destroy everything, but later they started to fatique me. With Vido (full thick foams) I can enjoy music for hours.
I'll try a bit of comparison. Emx has wide stage but Vidos have better depth (on average). Vido sounds good with male singers and live performances, are musical and involving, more to the natural sound. Emx are much clearer, feel on the neutral balance, female vocals have energy on top and details pop out more easily. Technical comes to mind. What is interesting that Vidos despite some veil display good level of details.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back