Earbud/IEM for D2 (Unamped) and <$300?
Aug 12, 2008 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Infoolio

New Head-Fier
Greetings,

I got a Cowon D2 last fall and have been meaning to upgrade the crappy stock phones they included. From what I've read (superficially) it seems like the brands to go with are UE, Shure or Ety, but I wonder if that is true for someone with a lower budget (I don't mind ending up with high end, but want to start at <$300).

My music interests are diverse (rap, classical, pop, rock, trance, etc), and I wasn't planning on getting an amp (one of the big reasons I went with a D2). I'm a big fan of Sennheiser - thanks to advice from other users here some years ago I got HD565s which have been one of my best purchases (indeed, I will likely be upgrading to HD650s, but I'll spare my wallet the pain of that for now).

One note - I've never used IEM before and am somewhat unsure about whether I really want something super deep in my ear. I am willing to consider IEM because it seems like to get truly good sound I have to go beyond earphones/buds.

Any advice is appreciated!

[edited to up budget to 300
smily_headphones1.gif
]

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lutwey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
er4p are just below your budget. they are pretty good with d2

how is the comfort? i've seen UE and Shure in stores, but not Ety (maybe i'm looking in the wrong stores)

cheers.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 8
Someone's selling Westone UM2s for $200 in the sales forums currently (unless it's sold in the last hour). Can't do better than those for that money. They list for $300, but $200 is their going rate second hand, and that's how you should look to buy as it'll save you money on everything.

Most comfortable universal IEM ever, also.

Aug 12, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone's selling Westone UM2s for $200 in the sales forums currently (unless it's sold in the last hour). Can't do better than those for that money. They list for $300, but $200 is their going rate second hand, and that's how you should look to buy as it'll save you money on everything.

Most comfortable universal IEM ever, also.

i wouldn't mind paying the $299 for new. i see you have both ety and um2 - which do you like more? er4p and um2 are same list price new (haven't done any shopping around yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back