earbud comparisons?
Dec 17, 2007 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

panda

1000+ Head-Fier
i've found a few threads covering this already but i'm looking for updated opinions from people who've heard multiple ones. please don't talk about canalphones or iems. i've owned ety er-4s and really enjoyed the sound but they're just not practical and quite uncomfortable. this is for portable use only. my source is a sony nw-a1200. i do have a portable amp but never use it so that's not a factor.

i started off using senn mx500 and currently still use them. the sound signature isn't offensive (although treble is lacking) but i'd like something that's more resolving and cleaner (the bass is a bit flabby and notes sound distorted). i tried at cm7ti for a while but wasn't happy with them either. they had more detail than the senns but the highs got a little harsh at times and had a hollow signature which i thought was pretty distracting and were heavy so they'd fall out all the time. have a pair of v-moda remix on its way looking forward to finding out how those fair...

the ones i haven't tried are yuin pk1, sony e888 and b&o a8. would appreciate comments on those. basically i'd like to know which earbud you feel has the cleanest sound of the bunch yet also elaborate on their sound signature, strengths & weaknesses. and obviously if there is a different model that i havent mentioned.

Dec 17, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 22
There are probably few people who have heard all three of the earbuds you mention.

I owned the A8 (before I lost them) and liked them very very much. Got to ignore the wearing instructions in order to get the best sound out of them though.

Dec 18, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 22
I have all three of them.

A8 is very much like the CM7 -h ighly detail but cold. It shouldn't be surprising since A8 use the same drive inside CM7, but A8 has a better housing and fitting which give it (very) slightly better sound, IMO.

E888 is very warm with highly bloated bass. It is fun but nothing natural about its sound signature. If you mod it (remove the filter paper inside) than it will give a better treble response. I like E888, but not as much as my A8.

PK1 is definitely the best out of all three (actually, all earbuds). It isn't as detail as A8, nor is it as warm/bloated as E888. However, with a good amp, PK1 gives just the balance sound way better than the above two. It has a slightly warm sound with full body that rival big cans, detail is just enough to cover most music genre but may not be the best for instruments.

Also, check out this thread and the link in my signature.

Dec 18, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 22
the v-moda remix came in today. they're a step up from mx500 but still lacking in the resolution department. though i like the upfront signature, these are going to be decent for daily use.

so the a8 has a similar signature to the cm7? is that wierd midrange effect still there? in what respects do you feel that the a8 betters the cm7 in?

warm and bloated is the opposite of what i'm looking for unless it's done right like grado which i doubt so that throws the sony out the bag i guess.

how you describe the pk1 sound makes me think of beyer dt931 which are the full sized fones that i use, i prefer grado rs-1 but i rarely use headphones at home so it's not worth a dedicated rig for me.

i read your comparison thread on pk1 vs a8 and what caught my attention was you mentioning that the a8 is sort of like ety sound? that's basically what i'm going for, er-4s in an earbud housing. i really don't care about imaging and soundstage in fones. just want to be able to hear every note with clarity and precise timing. i listen to a lot of r&b and hiphop so one would think i'd want a full bodied sound but i find that signature to be annoying.

how did you obtain the a8 anyway? i can't find it on any sites. i'd love to give them a try.

Dec 18, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 22
I got my A8 almost 6 years ago from eBay. It was part of the original HK stock (which at the time, cheaper than every where else).

Although A8 sounds very much like CM7, in comparison: CM7 has slightly warmer/fuller mid and deeper bass, while A8 has better detail/resolution on the upper range and a larger soundstage. CM7 will likely be better on vocal, but A8 is better on instrument. Overall, I think A8 is more analytical.

Beside all the above, you can play around with A8 fitting/position to get better bass response. This is one thing CM7 can't do as it will just fall off from your ear.

Dec 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't the Yuin PK1 supposed to be detail monsters?

In comparison, A8 (and very possibly most top end AT earbuds) is the monster here. However, it isn't to say PK1 is not the best earbud ever. PK1 do have a more balance sound overall.

Dec 18, 2007 at 12:05 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i actually just bought a set off ebay. they look oem from the photo but that doesn't necessarily mean it's fake. guess i'll find out when they arrive...

Ebay A8 and the mention of "OEM" gives odds of 1-1 that its going to be a fake. Do you have a link to the auction for us?

Jan 10, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #13 of 22
the b&o a8 just came in, listening to them straight out of ipod nano. it was a pain in the ass to get them in my ears, what a hassle. sound is pretty bright and not very refined but great mids. hopefully they get better with break in, not as detailed as i'd like out of box.

bought from ebay but they came in retail box and build quality is solid, i'm gonna assume these are legit.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #15 of 22
after reading the guide to tell if these are authentic a8s or not, the ones i have appear to be fakes. but they sound damn good for earbuds so i don't care. they're probably the same headphones without the legitamate finishing touches. these sound nothing like the at cm7ti earbuds i've had before however. i don't know where the 'same driver' theory came from. i remember the at's being more neutral and cleaner sounding with less bass.

there is no low bass to speak of which makes sense being earbuds, midbass is full though and the mids more than make up for it. i really like this forward presentation. the highs have cleared up a little after few days use. overall they have taken over senn px100 for portable use.

as far as comfort i got over the awkwardness and they're tolerable now. i haven't heard yuin pk1 but i'd rather not pay $150 for those. besides i have etys if i want more resolution on the go. i used to hate the fit of etys but i missed their sound so much that i got another pair and finally tried the foamies. what a difference, plus there's more bass all of a sudden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back