Earbud advice required - Must have unequal length cables for L & R and be cheap(ish)
Dec 26, 2004 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cubik808

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I know there are a lot of similar questions but I can't find any mention of what I consider the most important point (after sound quality), that being I want earbuds where the cables to L & R are different lengths so I can hang them round the back of my neck.

I'm looking for earbuds to compliment my nice new Zen Micro (the stock earbuds are just rubbish, much too big - They don't sound that bad, they're more uncomfortable than anything)

Anyways, is there such a thing as earbuds which are :-

1) Under 20 Pounds (UK £)

2) Readily available (high street or www)

3) Not white... (I don't own an iPod nor do I have any ambition to make people think I do
tongue.gif
)

4) Sound good (obviously!)

5) Have a longer R than L so I can do the old "behind the neck" cable routing.

6) Normal earbud style - Not "in ear" canal phones or those buds with the extra "sticky out" bits that go in your ear (I think some of the Sony ones are like that)

I was going to get some Sennheiser MX500s but they have an equal length split cable.

I have previously owned a lot of Sony gear (minidiscs etc) which have always had unequal phones and to my ears sounded ok, do any of the under £20 Sony phones have this cable type?

I know I'm probably asking too much with my requirements but it's worth a shot

Any advice you can give would be gratefully received..

Cheers

Cubik808

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by becca.morgan
Yep I got a Zen Micro and I'm looking for a similar pair of earphones. Dont care about the length or colour though, but I would like them under £20.

Thanks

Becca
eggosmile.gif

mx500 or mx550 will suit you nicely.

Dec 26, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubik808
Thanks for the response - I can't find that model of buds for sale in the UK however.

Any idea if they have a different model number over here?

Cheers

Cubik808

i'm not sure if they have a different model number over there, as they have these at my local electronics store. they are around 10 USD.

Dec 26, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #9 of 17
mx500 has more bass than the mx550. but mx550 has more clarity in the mids and highs. also, mx500's construction and cabling is much more sturdier than the mx550.

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by saidinstouch
Sony ex51's have different length left and right cables for behind the head wearing. They should be around your price range if you look online.

OP:
Quote:

Originally Posted by cubik808
6) Normal earbud style - Not "in ear" canal phones or those buds with the extra "sticky out" bits that go in your ear (I think some of the Sony ones are like that)

Dec 27, 2004 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 17
Hi Cubik,

Welcome to Head Fi, sorry about your wallet.

If you want to try some headphones and then return them because you don't like them I'd suggest you go to Maplins. I bought some Sony's, didn't like that particular model and just told them they were uncomfortable and I didn't like them. Got a refund no problem. The guy didn't really care why I was returning them, just that they were complete with the packaging etc.

Cheers

John

Dec 27, 2004 at 11:02 AM Post #15 of 17
I think the new Senn. MX350 would perfectly suit your needs.

They're supposed to be the same as the MX450/550 as to sound quality, but with the cable feature you are looking for.

You can expect them to have both better sound and better fit than the older Senns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back