Ear Wax/Junk Removal
Aug 8, 2009 at 5:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

talisman42

500+ Head-Fier
Have you made arrangements to have your hearing checked? You might be surprised. Who knows, maybe your hearing will be super improved as a result of pulling one of these things out >> YouTube - ear wax Rated PG

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 19
I get mine done once every 6 months and im always surprised by the outcome. Last time they pulled what appeared to be a small marbel out of both ears. I dont know how i could hear anything. I do alot of welding and cutting with grinders etc. So i wear earplugs constantly i think removing and putting them back in gets little pieces of metal in there or something to hold onto the wax its crazy gross but its amazing afterwards.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:25 AM Post #3 of 19
Not to bring up the topic again, but there have been a number of earwax thrwads in the past. Run a search if you want to know how other members deal with earwax.

Personally, I keep it clean. I don't have plugs and clean daily
with Q-tips. I'm never going to let it get that bad in the first place.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 19
I clean my ears everyday with q-tips, but I think I'll call and see if they can take a look. I certainly can't see if there's anything deep in my ears and it won't hurt for them to check.

That chunk of earwax in the video was pretty gross though.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #5 of 19
Hmm yeah that does look bad. I have the dry type of earwax (grey and flaky). I found this on Wikipedia, earwax:

Quote:

There are two distinct genetically determined types of earwax: the wet type, which is dominant, and the dry type, which is recessive. East Asians and Native Americans are more likely to have the dry type of cerumen (grey and flaky), whereas Caucasians and Africans are more likely to have the wet type (honey-brown to dark-brown and moist).

atsmile.gif

It does make me want to make sure that my ears are clean after watching that video.

Aug 8, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 19
Question: I clean my ears with Q-tips every other day or so, is it worth it to go in and have a check/??

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashkii21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm yeah that does look bad. I have the dry type of earwax (grey and flaky). I found this on Wikipedia, earwax:

atsmile.gif

It does make me want to make sure that my ears are clean after watching that video.

East Asian ftw. Haha.
tongue.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to bring up the topic again, but there have been a number of earwax thrwads in the past. Run a search if you want to know how other members deal with earwax.

Personally, I keep it clean. I don't have plugs and clean daily
with Q-tips. I'm never going to let it get that bad in the first place.

Oh, friend , please to be more tolerance, every member has his right to say something, if you are not interesting with the thread, you can swift to other threads.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #11 of 19
Since I was an early teen, I had to go get my ears cleaned out once in a while due to wax build up. It's especially annoying when one of those marble sized wax balls falls against the ear drum and gives you 50% deafness in an ear! The most recent audiologist I've been seeing recommended I clean my ear canals daily with cotton swabs. This seems to have cleared up most of my problems for the last 5 years. When I get my annual physical, I ask the family practitioner if he sees wax build up when he checks my ears. He's said "no" so far.

Aug 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 19
I've never had anything that bad and usually whatever buildup I have is easily removed with a jet of water. What the doctor does to remove build up is prescribe oil/drops to use a few days to losen the wax and an appointment to have water sprayed in my ears to get it out. That suction thing was pretty gross..

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #13 of 19
Using Q-tips is fine after a shower and does not impact the wax as long as you do it every day and they are clean to start out with IMO. A hot shower, along with the moisture, softens the wax so it is easily removed almost in a liquid form. Using Q-tips before a shower is definately worse. Before I stared using Q-tips every day after a shower i had impacted earwax and it sucks. After using Q-tips every day Ive never had a problem. My Dr said my ears are always spotless after using this practice.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using Q-tips is fine after a shower and does not impact the wax as long as you do it every day and they are clean to start out with IMO. A hot shower, along with the moisture, softens the wax so it is easily removed almost in a liquid form. Using Q-tips before a shower is definately worse. Before I stared using Q-tips every day after a shower i had impacted earwax and it sucks. After using Q-tips every day Ive never had a problem. My Dr said my ears are always spotless after using this practice.

I do this too. I began using Q tips regularly not because of ear wax, but just because the loose water in my ear was annoying. The cotton soaks the water right up. And I usually see some faint traces of earwax on the cotton swab after I'm done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back