Ear Question and also Momentum Question...
Nov 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, so I've been using some triple.fis with a silver cable and iBasso D2 Boa for the past two years or so, and I'm feeling a little nostalgic about non-iems.  To not go into great detail, I'm selling the triple.fis and cable for a pair of either Sennheiser Momentums or V-Moda M100s.  There is comparison after comparison within the community over these two, so I'm not going to ask much about what you guys think.  Instead I want to ask what you guys consider "small ears?"  I've been told I have "small ears" for a guy, but I'm not sure if they're small enough to go into the Momentums (I'm assuming so, though).

Another question for people that have owned or extensively used Momentums, because I can't find much on it.  Almost every review comparing the M100s and Momentums talk about unamped, and how the M100s are pretty much DarthBeyers while the Momentums are more like HD600s (in a terribly lazy comparison).  How about when they're amped?  If I run the Momentums through my iBasso D2, would it give me a smooth liquidy low when I listen to electronic music (mostly trance, progressive, DnB, and old fart stuff like Chemical Brothers, Fluke....etc)?  Keep in mind that I've been using triple.fis with a solid silver cable through an amp.... I refuse to go back to lesser fidelity, and am going into this with the assumption that both of these portables will be of same fidelity as the triple.fis, but obviously have a different signature (and deeper bass as a result).

TL;DR....

- What is actually considered small enough of ears to fit in Momentums properly?

- Do the Momentums sound much better when amped (iBasso D2), because it seems like most reviews are for unamped?

- With an amp, and for trance music, would the Momentums or M100s be best if fidelity is priority and bass is second?

- Would I be downgrading if I traded/sold my triple.fis for either one of these headphones?  I do love the triple.fis, but want that full-size sound that I miss.

Okay, I think that's all.  Thanks a bunch!

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #2 of 3
Good ear size for Momentums is 65mm tall or less.

I have only tried the Momentum on my PA2V2 and O2 amps and there is no significant difference in sound - they are designed to be used with phones and portables etc after all. 

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3 of 3
  Okay, so I've been using some triple.fis with a silver cable and iBasso D2 Boa for the past two years or so, and I'm feeling a little nostalgic about non-iems.  To not go into great detail, I'm selling the triple.fis and cable for a pair of either Sennheiser Momentums or V-Moda M100s.  There is comparison after comparison within the community over these two, so I'm not going to ask much about what you guys think.  Instead I want to ask what you guys consider "small ears?"  I've been told I have "small ears" for a guy, but I'm not sure if they're small enough to go into the Momentums (I'm assuming so, though).

Another question for people that have owned or extensively used Momentums, because I can't find much on it.  Almost every review comparing the M100s and Momentums talk about unamped, and how the M100s are pretty much DarthBeyers while the Momentums are more like HD600s (in a terribly lazy comparison).  How about when they're amped?  If I run the Momentums through my iBasso D2, would it give me a smooth liquidy low when I listen to electronic music (mostly trance, progressive, DnB, and old fart stuff like Chemical Brothers, Fluke....etc)?  Keep in mind that I've been using triple.fis with a solid silver cable through an amp.... I refuse to go back to lesser fidelity, and am going into this with the assumption that both of these portables will be of same fidelity as the triple.fis, but obviously have a different signature (and deeper bass as a result).

TL;DR....

- What is actually considered small enough of ears to fit in Momentums properly?

- Do the Momentums sound much better when amped (iBasso D2), because it seems like most reviews are for unamped?

- With an amp, and for trance music, would the Momentums or M100s be best if fidelity is priority and bass is second?

- Would I be downgrading if I traded/sold my triple.fis for either one of these headphones?  I do love the triple.fis, but want that full-size sound that I miss.

Okay, I think that's all.  Thanks a bunch!

1, 50x35mm or less, and that's the inner dim for the Momentum pads.
2, That depends, I have both M-100 and Momentum with VC SDT or VERZA amp and they help but not a lot.  However, I would say that the M-100 benefits more in this regard.
3, they are about equal but I do like the M-100 staging better.  Bass wise they are actually very different: M-100 has stronger bass but more diffussed; Momentum has slight less bass but at times can be much more punchy.
4, Could be.  However, you can go demo the Momentum from most Apple Store and the M-100 from Macys or BrookStone so you don't have to guess.  Just bring your source and hope the demo units arn't broke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back