"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 19, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #1,021 of 1,906
  Anyone planning to get the phantom master 4 or 6 in the future for comparison? Will be interesting to see comparison on the 4BA+dual DD pull/push although price difference is not small. The phantom master 5 is somehow 500 pounds...damn.

I have the Phantom 4 incoming - REALLY looking to comparing them with SW III's
Also have the Delta's from Trinity (but they are a diffeent type of IEM altogether) 
That Push / Pull dynamic bass I hope may be something very special.SO interested to hear the difference :)

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #1,022 of 1,906

Also have the Delta's from Trinity (but they are a diffeent type of IEM altogether) 
That Push / Pull dynamic bass I hope may be something very special.SO interested to hear the difference :)

The bass of the Phantom SABRE is so natural, you can touch it.

Jul 19, 2016 at 4:12 PM Post #1,023 of 1,906

The bass of the Phantom SABRE is so natural, you can touch it.

:)  Yes, That's exactly what Im thinking/hoping for.I have no doubts they will be good but in what ways they will be good is what has me excited. This is just a guess but I wonder whether for the more 'mature / experienced' listener the specific qualities of this technology / design / tuning and magical ear of Bob will create something 'truly' audiophile :D

Thanks for adding that Paul but you've got me all giddy & excited again ):  Trying to forget them (until they arrive!)

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #1,025 of 1,906
  Neutral, fairly spacious ,but not for vocals .
how is the sound of Shockwave III compare to dunu 2000 and GR07 ?

cool.gif
Better. I've owned all 3, BTW.

There is nothing I know of right now in it's price range ($250-$350) that can compete with the SWIII. You have to spend considerably more for very minor improvements. It's the old price Vs performance equation. The SWIII plays quite a bit above it's price.

Yes, It's fairly Bright and quite clinical in it's presentation. But the 360 degree soundstage is worth the price of admission.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #1,027 of 1,906
  I hope it's not clinical but musical .

Yes - lot more musical than clinical (although I appreciate the reference) . . .  as always though, your source / material  will play a part 

Jul 20, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #1,028 of 1,906
 how is it in the mids ? up front or laid back ? what's the most impressive thing about it ? and if you want to improve 1 thing  '' weakest part bass, mids, treble,imaging, thickness''?

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:11 PM Post #1,029 of 1,906
   how is it in the mids ? up front or laid back ? what's the most impressive thing about it ? and if you want to improve 1 thing  '' weakest part bass, mids, treble,imaging, thickness''?

I would say the mids are Not forward, but I dont expereince them as particularly layed back.Vocals sound . . . well I have never noticed bad or good about them! I just enjoy
which may be the best compliment I could give to a headphone? 

The most impressive thing - Probably how they put every little detail / instrument in its own little space so even in the midst of a heavy rock song you can zoom in
on and enjoy the high hats...but not just that, also the quality of the wood hitting them and the timbre of the brass

To improve one thing - I would reduce the sub bass a little bit BUT only sometimes + maybe reduce the over all immersive / excitment but to be honest i think any improvements
that come to mind basically equate  to making them into $1000 IEM so, I don't like to use this term as its a bit misleading But... >For The Price< these IEMs' have qualities that
far outweight their price tag

Weakest part - They are quite large! As for the sound.I don't honestly think they have a weakness - I use  an iBasso DX80 to listen to them which is a very respectful Audiophile player.
Its possible they might not have such good synergy with other players or *shudders* phones ?? 

If you want to experience what a TOTL IEM sounds like & feels like Without spending stupid money the Shockwav III's are worth every penny 

Its strange for me in that they are SO good I have a clearer understanding now of what a $1000+ IEM gives you but without that reducing in anyway my enjoyment of them

You can totaly rely on TwinACStacks experience - I agree with his conclusions 100%

Anyhoo, just a few thoughts from my own expereince with them :)

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #1,031 of 1,906
  That cover most of the parts I want to know.

Final thought - Gives an affordable insight into some of the characteristics that a TOTL IEM can show, 
whilst retaining some of the 'V shaped type of fun' that other lower tier models have
A very interesting combination of the two! 

I feel one can enjoy both characteristics with this IEM

Im going to get some feedback in 10 days or so from a couple of Sound Engineer friends
one of whom is an award winning mastering engineer.
There feedback will bring some of the more technical aspects to light  :)

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #1,034 of 1,906
  will you post  their impression here ?

tbh ,I don't like v shaped iem or headphones .

Very busy for the next 2-3 weeks or so but i hope so!
Im saying they are V shaped, Im trying to explain that there is a an energy to them.There is something of a WoW factor whenever I listen to them.
For want of an analogy,sometimes I think of them as something like driving a Maserati - Great fun . . .  but for long term practical use I would probably buy a top end Mercedes at the end of the day!  :D

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #1,035 of 1,906

Just female vocals a little thin. Just being nitpicky though.

Fair point - but that doesn't spoil the over all headphone for me :) 
Just makes them less than perfect [for me]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back