Ear hair removal for improved sound quality
Apr 30, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #16 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one time i shaved my entire body i swear i could run faster ^_^

Maybe not so far-fetched.

I've actually heard of swimmers shaving their entire bodies to reduce drag in the water. I don't know a)if this is something people actually do, or b)whether it really makes a difference, but I have heard of this.

May 1, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately that isn't the part which actually picks up the sound and transmits it to your brain
wink.gif

But I hear such a huge difference!

Yeah, pro and Olympic swimmers and the like shave their bodies. Runners might too, I don't know. Whatever shaves off those last few milliseconds.

May 1, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #18 of 51
Am I really the only person who has tried this? Surely not.

May 1, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not so far-fetched.

I've actually heard of swimmers shaving their entire bodies to reduce drag in the water. I don't know a)if this is something people actually do, or b)whether it really makes a difference, but I have heard of this.

Yes that the same for cyclists you can win 1 second or 2 in a long run just by removing the air resistance that the hair on legs create.

May 1, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #20 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes that the same for cyclists you can win 1 second or 2 in a long run just by removing the air resistance that the hair on legs create.

That's pretty amazing, but it definitely makes sense in light of the controversy over those high-tech swim suits that were recently banned from high-level competition. When the top swimmers started using them, there was a major uptick in the number of world records being set. So drag against air or water is clearly a significant consideration.

It still amazes me, though, that something as seemingly trivial as body hair can make a difference. I'm a pretty hairy dude, so I suppose that if I were a competitive swimmer or cyclist I'd have to shave my arms, legs, and chest. I already shave my face and head, which is plenty annoying enough. I can't imagine having to go through even more shaving. On the other hand, after a gold medal or two and some fat product-endorsement contracts, I'd probably consider it worth the trouble.

Edit: Yeesh! The Net is getting downright creepy. After I posted the above, I scrolled up to the top of the page, and there was a banner ad for...laser hair removal.

May 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #21 of 51
I found that a silver-plated ear hair trimmer made things sound thin and bright. A gold-plated trimmer made things sound rich and warm.

I also had great success running a green marker around the outside of my ears.

May 2, 2010 at 2:11 AM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

I recently bought a Philips ear and nose hair trimmer. I don't have much ear hair (I'm only 30 and mainly got it for nose and eyebrows) but I have noticed some sonic improvement after using it.

Highs sound a bit more "effortless" and airy. The mids are where the biggest improvements where though, with better separation and smoother vocals (especially male).

Has anyone else experimented with this sort of thing? It makes me wonder if I could cut my hair a different way to improve the isolation of my cans.

After you have finished with your ears you can start on your eyes,no doubt that sight will be much clearer after getting rid of your eyebrows and eye lashes,then the final head mod is your nose,once all the hair is removed breathing will be much easier.

May 2, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #23 of 51
Quote:

Am I really the only person who has tried this? Surely not.

I just dont have all this ear hair.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading in Stereophile how glasses could affect your listening experience as sound would be reflecting off them. I stopped reading that year
smily_headphones1.gif

LMAO, that is hilarious.

May 2, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 51
Actually, it might be true. Hair minimizes a person's movement. The same reason why swimmer used cap when swimming. So, maybe, the movement or vibration of the sounds was faster and more appealing. Hypothetically, I could say it will really work.

May 2, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #29 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ford2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After you have finished with your ears you can start on your eyes,no doubt that sight will be much clearer after getting rid of your eyebrows and eye lashes,then the final head mod is your nose,once all the hair is removed breathing will be much easier.

You jest but at least doing your ears makes some kind of sense. I mean, most people with long hair brush it out of the way when they have cans on, right?

To be sure I am going to only do one ear next time and compare trimmed vs. untrimmed. It could all just be in my head, if you will excuse the pun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back