Ear hair removal for improved sound quality
Apr 30, 2010 at 2:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

mojo

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a Philips ear and nose hair trimmer. I don't have much ear hair (I'm only 30 and mainly got it for nose and eyebrows) but I have noticed some sonic improvement after using it.

Highs sound a bit more "effortless" and airy. The mids are where the biggest improvements where though, with better separation and smoother vocals (especially male).

Has anyone else experimented with this sort of thing? It makes me wonder if I could cut my hair a different way to improve the isolation of my cans.

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 51
Im not doubting what the OP is saying, but this post still made me LOL ,Now were going to see audiophile ear trimmers or headphones that are made tuned for people with hairy ears.
biggrin.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #5 of 51
What surprises me most is that no-one has brought this up before. Considering how much time and money people spend on their equipment a £10 hair trimmer seems like a very worthwhile investment. After all your ears are arguably the most important part of your system.

Cotton buds are good for cleaning but I have seen various liquid cleaners being advertised. I don't get a great deal of ear wax so it's not a big problem for me anyway.

Apr 30, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one time i shaved my entire body i swear i could run faster ^_^

Are you a wookie?

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #7 of 51
I remember reading in Stereophile how glasses could affect your listening experience as sound would be reflecting off them. I stopped reading that year
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by John2e /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading in Stereophile how glasses could affect your listening experience as sound would be reflecting off them. I stopped reading that year
smily_headphones1.gif

Well actually I started wearing them a few years ago and at first it made no difference with HD495s or buds/IEMs. The W5000s are a different story though. After bending the band quite a bit for a better fit I had them making a really good seal and they sounded excellent, but having glasses on definitely makes a difference due to the frame creating a small gap.

It's annoying having to choose between the best possible sound and being able to see properly. One thing I have noticed though is that my old frames which have are made of very thin metal are better than my thicker new ones. The new ones are larger anyway and so sit a bit further out from the side of my head at the front. I am tempted to get the old ones updated with new lenses because of that.

But yeah, as for sound reflecting off them, well anyone who has read my other posts will know I don't go in for that kind of rubbish. No gold plated oxygen free USB cables or replacing the last 1 of 1000m of cheap copper cable with a dialectically shielded garden hose encased power cord here. I'm totally serious about this ear hair thing though. Srsly.

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head Injury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had my eardrums surgically removed and glued to my headphone pads. Gets rid of all the resonance from the outer ear.

Unfortunately that isn't the part which actually picks up the sound and transmits it to your brain
wink.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well actually I started wearing them a few years ago and at first it made no difference with HD495s or buds/IEMs. The W5000s are a different story though. After bending the band quite a bit for a better fit I had them making a really good seal and they sounded excellent, but having glasses on definitely makes a difference due to the frame creating a small gap.

It's annoying having to choose between the best possible sound and being able to see properly. One thing I have noticed though is that my old frames which have are made of very thin metal are better than my thicker new ones. The new ones are larger anyway and so sit a bit further out from the side of my head at the front. I am tempted to get the old ones updated with new lenses because of that.

But yeah, as for sound reflecting off them, well anyone who has read my other posts will know I don't go in for that kind of rubbish. No gold plated oxygen free USB cables or replacing the last 1 of 1000m of cheap copper cable with a dialectically shielded garden hose encased power cord here. I'm totally serious about this ear hair thing though. Srsly.

I think they were talking about speakers though, where glasses wouldn't have any effect

Users who are viewing this thread

Back