Ear Cushions - Why one type would be better than others
May 13, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Karlosquinto

New Head-Fier
I've been thinking about getting some good new headphones, but I know with some you get cushions with different coverings. What would make a velveteen covering better than a leather covering or not and again the difference between velveteen and vinyl types.

I haven't bought anything new in years, but I know that not every phone has options, so I thought I'd ask before I start looking.

I can see that many of you on this thread have many different models, so I guess you've had experience.

I'd appreciate any help you can give

May 13, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 2

GREQ

Headphoneus Supremus
Velour (fabric) pads provide better ventilation and often better comfort - this is especially true in warmer climates. 
They also normally preserve the sound of the driver better than leather/pleather (which is not always desirable as everyone has different tastes).

Leather or artificial leather pads usually provide a better seal so are often used for portable headphones. This means they can get sweaty and uncomfortable in warmer climates. 
The better sealing usually results in a more impactful bass response, which sometimes is not the natural sound of the drivers, but an enhancement of the sound - a form of 'tuning'. 

Of course there are some exceptions to these generalisations, but there's no right or wrong here. 
Usually the bigger question is the earpad shape and size as that plays a bigger role in comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread