Ear cleaning: Regular Dr or Audiologist?
Mar 21, 2008 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

ziplock

100+ Head-Fier
Who will do the safest, most thorough cleaning? It's time to get my ears squeaky clean. I have wax packed in that is causing mild Tinnitus and it's very annoying!

I did a few searches and did not come up with useful results. Thanks!

~Z

Mar 21, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #3 of 23
Just go to a regular doctor. You'll get shunted off to a physician's assistant anyway to get the work done. They just squirt a warm peroxide solution in your ear with a blunt syringe, then the doctor comes back to look and see if the wax is all gone.

Only had it done myself once... now I just buy the stuff they sell at the drugstore with an ear bulb sold there too. It's cheaper than whatever copay you'll pay. There's no doctor magic involved in this procedure.

Mar 22, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 23
i just use Q-Tips.... they work fine as long as you don't go too far into your ear.

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:55 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'll get shunted off to a physician's assistant anyway to get the work done.

despite the fact that many docs seem to think otherwise, physician assistant is NOT a possesive term!

Mar 22, 2008 at 5:51 PM Post #7 of 23
You can also go to an ENT. I don't know if I'd trust my regular doctor. On two occasions my regular doctor noticed I had a lot of wax build up in my ears and didn't do anything. I suppose he would have attempted to take it out if I asked him to.

In your case though, I would definitely go to an ENT or audiologist. You mentioned you have slight tinnitus and you are only assuming it is caused by the wax. You should have it thoroughly checked out.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you know if you have a wax build up?
Just out of curiosity.

Juicy noises when you press just above your earlobes.
Bees are attracted to your head.
Deafness.
In ear noises.
Comes out on a cotton bud.
Plants start to grow outwards from the lugs.
The TV is even more muffled.

Yuk.

Seriously, if I went to my doctor and said, I may have wax in my ear and I went regularly, he'd refuse to see me. He only wants to see me if there's something wrong and he'd get funny with me if I kept going for a regular check up.

Ian

We're talking UK here.

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 23
just cram a triple flange in your ear, it'll pull out ungodly amounts of wax.
wink.gif

Mar 22, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #11 of 23
If you have a lot of buildup, have the doctor clean it out. After that, you can carefully clean yourself regularly.

We should get some posts shortly about "pushing wax deeper in" with DIY, but that doesn't happen if there isn't a big lump to begin with.

I rinse in the shower about every day and clean up with Q-Tips. Every couple of months I'll rinse with a dilute (with water) hydrogen peroxide solution, followed by rinsing with the shower spray.

No plugs or buildup, no hearing loss, no tinnitus, no problems. Doctors are pleased with the cleanliness, then say NOT to clean it. I don't see it as much different from cleaning your mouth or dealing with contacts. Yeah, the parts are delicate and important. Duh. But there's no reason you can't do these things carefully yourself.

Mar 22, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by zotjen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In your case though, I would definitely go to an ENT or audiologist. You mentioned you have slight tinnitus and you are only assuming it is caused by the wax. You should have it thoroughly checked out.

what's the difference between an ENT and an audiologist?

Mar 22, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #13 of 23
I believe an Audiologist specializes only in hearing ailments while an ENT specializes in ear, nose and throat problems, especially since they're often related.

Mar 23, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just cram a triple flange in your ear, it'll pull out ungodly amounts of wax.
wink.gif

LOL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back