Ear canals are not straight, why buy straight...
Sep 7, 2009 at 7:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Opentoe

100+ Head-Fier
Straight IEM's never just fit right. Even at the highest level and expense if they weren't made to some what fit a human ear they just won't fit properly. I've wondered how people get away with buying the regular straight IEM's? Even our ear canals aren't really straight. Has IEM shape peaked? While technology is still going and eventually wireless IEM's will dominate in the future I can't see much more of the change in shape to an IEM. Unless technology changs that also making the IEM small enough to completely fit into your ear canal somehow. And when I say wireless, I mean way into the future...it will happen. I'd love to have a nice pair of wireless IEM's that are wireless, has the perfect audio quality and 20+ hour battery life.

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 5
The Denon C710 has an angled tube, but honestly I prefer smaller IEMs that fit a little deeper in my ear. I also wear most of my IEMs with the cables over my ears which allows me to get a much better insertion angle. For example, I can't get the best angle with the ADDIEM cables down.

My most comfortable (and preferred at this point) IEMs are Mingo WM2's, which have a straight nozzle. I am all for better sound, but I really am not complaining with these as they combine comfort with excellent sound to my ears!

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Denon C710 has an angled tube, but honestly I prefer smaller IEMs that fit a little deeper in my ear. I also wear most of my IEMs with the cables over my ears which allows me to get a much better insertion angle. For example, I can't get the best angle with the ADDIEM cables down.

My most comfortable (and preferred at this point) IEMs are Mingo WM2's, which have a straight nozzle. I am all for better sound, but I really am not complaining with these as they combine comfort with excellent sound to my ears!

I was thinking more on the lines of the tube itself is straight and doesn't have a curve to it. I own the Westone's and think they are very comfortable, but I can really see a few ways they could be more comfortable. I am very happy they do have a very thin tube and the foam is pretty thing which gives the best comfort it can the way it is.

Sep 10, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #4 of 5
Consider this: In a custom mold (for IEM or hearing aid), the contacting surface needed to maintain a proper acoustic seal is only about a few millimeter at most - for the sealing purpose for universal IEM, that is the only area that matters regardless of whether the nozzle is straight or curve.

f01c.jpg

Sep 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 5
To the OP...Are you certain ear canals are not straight? Why wouldn't they be? I would imagine an ear canal that is not straight is more the exception.

Ear canals do go upwards about 20 degrees to allow for natural water drainage when swimming, bathing, etc. Latest universal IEM design allows for a natural insertion where the stem projects in this direction anyway when the housing is seated in the ear. Flexible silicone and foam eartips allow for further adjustment/directionality if necessary. I think bending the nozzles would be a disaster SQ-wise for most people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back