Ear Canal Recommendation
May 11, 2012 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

iamausername

New Head-Fier
Ok, i've been through about 10 pairs of earphones now, please can someone help!

I listen to a lot of progressive house / trance with some occasional radio music

I currently own a pair of Sony MDR-EX300 earphones (about $100 or something)
Pros:
They have the right amount of bass (a bit bass heavy, but I like that, sounds a bit more "clubby")
Lightweight
Really comfortable for my ears
Cons:
Not that great audio quality
Bad isolation
When the wind hits them, i can't hear anything

I want a pair of earphones that have excellent sound quality, excellent isolation / wind resistance and still give plenty of low bass

I bought a pair of beats audio earphones that the sound quality was terrible and interestingly didn't have enough low end bass (also, were quite uncomfortable and fell out half the time)
They cost $230, so I took them back

I then just bought a pair of Sony XBA-4iP earphones, which have excellent sound isolation, are crystal clear and are comfortable however, sound a bit metallic and don't have enough bass punch for my liking.
These cost me $400 down from $500 (have a 20% off sale atm) however i'm going to take them back also.
A bit of ignorance on my half, thinking that having a woofer and subwoofer drivers would give them bass, however, they sound more like reference earphones, and I want them to sound good with a bit of color.

Any recommendations? (price is not really an issue if the quality is there)

May 11, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 22
Ok, so IEMs = ear canal earphones then.. (new here)
Yes, that's what I want.

I don't need them for on stage, just listening / enjoying music

I want them to sound really good and clear with lots of bass, I DON'T want reference earphones

I just use them walking to/from work, at work and at home.

also, ok, $1150 is pretty expensive, so maybe I do need to limit it to under $600

May 11, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:
Ok, so IEMs = ear canal earphones then.. (new here)
Yes, that's what I want.

I don't need them for on stage, just listening / enjoying music

I want them to sound really good and clear with lots of bass, I DON'T want reference earphones

I just use them walking to/from work, at work and at home.

also, ok, $1150 is pretty expensive, so maybe I do need to limit it to under $600

IEM stands for In Ear Monitors. $600 budget you can still get some nice customs. You could look at other JH Audio options. If you dont want customs, TF10's are popular, as are the GR-07. Both of those are under $200.

May 11, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #7 of 22
For your preference, I can recommend the Monster turbines and turbine pros, Sennheiser IE80 or the Atrio M5, they will be sure to keep you happy :wink:. And I do agree with the fact that the XBA-4s may sound a tad bit metallic, but they use balanced armatures, which would usually not sound as natural as the dynamic drivers I listed which you seem to like. 

May 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #8 of 22
Ok, thanks, I think i've decided upon the Sennheiser IE8s they have an adjustable bass knob, so hopefully I can get it right.

Only thing that concerns me is the sound isolation, anyone have these that can comment?

May 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:
If you hate bass, then it won't be great. But bassheads may like it. However, the IE80 just sounds that much better. 

I am looking at this guy an what he wants. e wants bass and he will get that easily form IE*s but from what i have read the clear sound that he wants the IE80s will give!

May 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:
I am looking at this guy an what he wants. e wants bass and he will get that easily form IE*s but from what i have read the clear sound that he wants the IE80s will give!

Well, true, the IE80s are tuned more towards clarity and mids, while improving the bass. However, I would feel the Turbine pros are more for him, in that they have good isolation and bass. 

May 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:
Well, true, the IE80s are tuned more towards clarity and mids, while improving the bass. However, I would feel the Turbine pros are more for him, in that they have good isolation and bass. 

I will take your word as i have tried neither. I think TF10s have awesome BAss (see what i did there) ad good clarity! Shame about the fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back