Eagles Of Death Metal
Apr 9, 2004 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

zoboomofo

1000+ Head-Fier
Anyone else out there with this album? I picked it up yesterday and can't put it down. It's the kind of album that makes me think it's possible to become a guitar god myself. I love the guitar work. It's simple, high-energy, distorted and groovy all in one. For some reason, it reminds me of T-Rex. I like the spartan setup. It's drums, guitar, and vocals - no bass. The melodies are light and cheerful, but the beat is pounding. Great summer music.

Once again, my latest purchase came to cool reviews. Either I've got bad taste or there's something wrong with music critics these days
wink.gif

Anyway check it out if you like old Chuck Berry style rock and roll.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 8
I can swear I saw them on Conan O' Brien either yesterday or a few nights back. They sounded pretty awesome, at least better than the other crap they have on there. There was this really catchy riff...

*Goes to store to by album

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, I heard they were on Conan, too. There's a user on the Rolling Stone website blogging about how great he thought they were, too. btw, this is not Chuck Berry music like I might have suggested earlier. It just boogies like it much of the time. The guitar is a driving series of crunchy riffs. I love it. And the drums. They're like Led Zeppelin's Black Country Woman. That stomping rhythm makes their Stuck In The Middle cover work well. The vocals aren't for everybody though. It's like a purring falsetto, mostly.

Man I love the camaraderie in the industry. Lately, there have been plenty of performers who make it big for themselves, then go on to endorse or play with an unheard of band - this is what "Carlo", the drummer did here. It's what Dave Grohl did for QOTSA, and what everybody does in the rap industry it seems. Anyway my point is that it's great to see a band being promoted for the right reasons. It helps me sift through the stuff I don't like.

Apr 10, 2004 at 12:23 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
So, is the band's name Eagles of Death Metal?
confused.gif

I need more input on this please.

I was curious also. Chickens of death metal?

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0413/smith2.php

"Eagles of Death Metal's Peace Love Death Metal is a series of jokes, some without punchlines, the best being the title and band name. One pictures with pleasure the displeasure on the faces of urban-slum desert-metal fans, at first sucked in by a well-known name, then their noses indignant at the smell of horse piss".

Apr 10, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 8
The cd is Peace Love Death Metal by The Eagles Of Death Metal. They are Jesse Hughes on vocals and guitar, and Josh Homme on drums. It's a garage rock deal influenced by early rock n roll, classic rock, and soul/funk. Favorite song currently: So Easy.

May 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #7 of 8
I was fortunate enough to get invited to this chic bar opening in Toronto last night by a new friend of mine who's a silent partner in the place.  His fiance is friends with the The Eagles of Death Metal, and they flew up from Hollywood just to play at the opening night party.  This was by far the coolest event I've ever attended.  Since this is a PG site, I can't even begin to describe it. Try to imagine a crowded party hosted by Victoria's Secret.   I'd never heard of this band before, and only two of them were there ... backed by pre-recorded bass and drums... but what a show.  These guy's can rock.  Not the genre their name would suggest however.  They reminded me of the Pixies.

My friend is a modern day real life Indiana Jones and is an international collector/dealer of tribal art and the macabre. He got his start by procuring and then reselling to a museum in Atlanta, the mummy of Ramses I.    Prior to the show I was invited with several others to his unbelievable home which is a 5600 square foot renovated condo/ultra modern museum of shrunken heads, tribal weapons from North American, South American, African, and European ancient tribes, among many other rare oddities.  He's even got a genuine guillotine from France among a huge inventory of medieval torture instruments, including a 17th century rack from Germany. I'm talking hundreds of incredible artifacts on display.  By far one of the most interesting, bizarre, and fun nights I've had in years.  My head's still spinning.  Anyway, the band was fantastic.  http://www.nowtoronto.com/daily/story.cfm?content=174918

l

May 8, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #8 of 8

Nice revival, I'm quite jealous, I wish I could see them live. The two that were there are probably the only two that actually are in the band(Josh Homme and Jesse Hughes). They usually have others play with them for live shows.

Great band, check out their CDs. Peace, Love and Death Metal was recorded in like 3 days, so most of the tracks were one take, It gives the album a really neat feel. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back