EAC + LAME problems.
May 29, 2005 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
Every time I try to rip with EAC and LAME I get an error message return from LAME. I dont know too much about LAME and its settings but so far this is how EAC is set up for LAME.

I cant find anything wrong and yet I always get this error message.

Can anybody find something wrong with it? I'm using the modified 3.90.3 version of LAME off of Hydrogen audio so that i can use --alt-preset medium. Nothing works so far, I've tried --abr 160, --alt-preset medum, standard, and a few other random ones. I need some help on this one.

May 29, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 15
I usually like to put the lame.exe in the eac folder myself. Make sure that nothing else is using the wav file as you have delete after compressed checked. Also try turning off the return code check and see if it will finish regardless. It looks like from the error that it is not taking the preset. See if you can try a different code. I know that presets are only present in some versions of lame.

May 29, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #3 of 15
From the EAC page
Q:

I want to compress audio tracks to MP3s, what do I need besides from EAC?

A:

Remember that EAC does not supply a MP3 codec; you may use the LAME, Gogo or the BladeEnc DLL's (or FAAC Dll for AAC compression) by copying them into the same directory where you copied EAC. Then you will be able to choose the installed DLLs in the compression option dialog box. Of course the quality of MP3 is based on the encoder and the bitrate you use. Beside the DLLs you could also specify external command line compressors that will be executed after an entire track was read (and not on-the-fly).

May 30, 2005 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 15
I can't tell. Everything looks fine from your screenshots.

Try downloading version 3.96.1. It also allows "--alt-preset medium" and by all accounts is basically the same as 3.90.3 and faster. If that doesn't work try typing "lame -V4" into the command line. That's the same as preset medium according to this:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=18091

Either way, I would try downloading a new LAME exe.

May 30, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
I can't tell. Everything looks fine from your screenshots.

Try downloading version 3.96.1. It also allows "--alt-preset medium" and by all accounts is basically the same as 3.90.3 and faster. If that doesn't work try typing "lame -V4" into the command line. That's the same as preset medium according to this:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...howtopic=18091

Either way, I would try downloading a new LAME exe.

I threw this problem up over at Hydrogenaudio.net and they told me to add %s %d to the end of it. And by god, for some reason, it worked. I have no idea what it means or what it does but I know those hydrogenaudio people know their stuff. The person that told me to do it only had 2 posts, damn even their new members are varitable masters at encoders.

May 30, 2005 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 15
%s and %d are the source and destination place holders. Definitely necessary for the command line.
cool.gif

May 30, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 15
I think you only need them if you dont have lame in the eac directory. I place lame, ogg and any other encoders right in there even if they are duplicates. I mean they are very small files anyhow.

May 30, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artie
%s and %d are the source and destination place holders. Definitely necessary for the command line.
cool.gif

Yeap, this definately is your problem. I had this problem while setting up EAC a week ago, and it took me a little while to figure out that was the problem.

May 30, 2005 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 15
You can do anything you can do with any other program that uses lame through the command line. If you select lame through the drop down it even has all the presets in there.

May 30, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
I think you only need them if you dont have lame in the eac directory. I place lame, ogg and any other encoders right in there even if they are duplicates. I mean they are very small files anyhow.

Oh so I have to put lame into the EAC directory? I thought I just had to link to it int the Program Files tree. That should be underlined in one of the guides, I never saw anybody tell me to put it into the EAC directory... or mabey I just missed it. Well thanks for clearing all this up for me guys, much appreciated.

May 30, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #12 of 15
Its in the FAQ as I posted above although not well documented. I know because I had problems before I put all my codec's right in the eac folder. What I did was download and unzip them right into it, dll's and all.

May 30, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nandro
You can do anything you can do with any other program that uses lame through the command line. If you select lame through the drop down it even has all the presets in there.

I meant GUI options. And I don't like using the presets, so I set my own options. I would use plain command line, but I can't find any documentation on LAME that isn't really vague...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back