E72 vs E71 (vs Nexus)
Jan 11, 2010 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

mattcalf

1000+ Head-Fier
Gday guys,
My contract is coming to an end and I want a new phone (Nokia 6300 has served me well).

And I know it's almost and Apple/Orange comparison on many levels, however, I'm just wanting opinions from owners of either phones.

Here's what I've determined so far:
E72 (E71)
  1. Tactile QWERTY
  2. 3.5mm jack (E71 = 2.5mm)
  3. Decent Camera w/ LED flash (e71 = not quite as good)
  4. Push emailing (compatible with my @hotmail.com account)
  5. E72 has a faster processer then E71
  6. Opera Mini/Mobile
  7. More durable then Nexus
Nexus
  1. Large AMOLED screen, drool.
  2. Decent camera
  3. Email (AFAIK rather proprietary.... gmail only?)
  4. Processor that makes the E7x's weep.
  5. Touch screen, never had/used one really.
....after typing that out I think I won't even bother with the nexus.

However, E71 vs E72. Thoughts please!

To get the E72 I'd have to pay $7 a month extra, does anyone have either/both and can give me an idea of whether it'd be worth the upgrade.

If you have the nexus feel free to chime in too haha
icon10.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 32
Nexus One is drop dead gorgeous short of the iPhone. The touchscreen is very pleasant to use, it's gigantic in screen real estate, but overall the phone is not larger than any other Android phone (it's actually slightly thinner than the iPhone too). Charge is less than amiable, but such is the case with most smartphones these days. On the topic of email, it should be about time you switched over to Gmail anyways :p

Do you have the Motorola Milestone available to you on your carrier (EDIT: no, I don't think you do :<)? It's slightly slower than the N1, but it's got a hard keyboard if you like that...

Wait for the N1 IMO :p

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #4 of 32
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this... Nexus One owners, please share your impression of the keyboard? How does it compare to the iphone's? Does the (apparent) lack of multitouch impede your typing speed vis-a-vis the iphone?

I can type very fast on the iphone's landscape keyboard, faster than on something like the E71/E72... and this is actually the one thing that'll make or break the nexus one for me as an option, because any smartphone will be a "notebook" to me first, music player second, and phone... seventh or eighth. My tortured analogy aside, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by righteousball /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hope I'm not hijacking the thread by asking this... Nexus One owners, please share your impression of the keyboard? How does it compare to the iphone's? Does the (apparent) lack of multitouch impede your typing speed vis-a-vis the iphone?

I can type very fast on the iphone's landscape keyboard, faster than on something like the E71/E72... and this is actually the one thing that'll make or break the nexus one for me as an option, because any smartphone will be a "notebook" to me first, music player second, and phone... seventh or eighth. My tortured analogy aside, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated
very_evil_smiley.gif

No the typing speed isn't too different from the iPhone. In fact, the Android Keyboard (the stock one you get with it) is quite similar except that the keys are square. Once some sweet developers get the HTC_IME on there, it should be the Jesus of virtual keyboards in modern day.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 32
If you are going to buy one, I buy all my imported phones through Mobicity. Physical number to call and good warranty service. Bit pricey though.

I had an E71. It was a damn good phone but I just can't be bothered using Symbian any more. Moved on to a Touch HD which has served me well and am contemplating whether to jump to Android or stick with WinMo. So I guess I'm in a similar situation. Out of the three you listed, I'd go with the Nexus One. Might want to wait a month or two for the prices to drop.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordofDoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No the typing speed isn't too different from the iPhone. In fact, the Android Keyboard (the stock one you get with it) is quite similar except that the keys are square. Once some sweet developers get the HTC_IME on there, it should be the Jesus of virtual keyboards in modern day.

Thanks for the comment LoD. I was waiting for the next iphone but might jump ship to the nexus one, mainly for the price differences.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are going to buy one, I buy all my imported phones through Mobicity. Physical number to call and good warranty service. Bit pricey though.

I had an E71. It was a damn good phone but I just can't be bothered using Symbian any more. Moved on to a Touch HD which has served me well and am contemplating whether to jump to Android or stick with WinMo. So I guess I'm in a similar situation. Out of the three you listed, I'd go with the Nexus One. Might want to wait a month or two for the prices to drop.

They may not for a while since they're bought directly from Google.

Quote:

Thanks for the comment LoD. I was waiting for the next iphone but might jump ship to the nexus one, mainly for the price differences.

I'd hit it up if I were you (I moved from a G1 to an MT3G to the N1, so I'm a bit biased... but still), as long as you have 3G support in your area for its bands, or at least a hell of a lot of WiFi.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

The keyboard is lightning fast as long as you use it in landscape mode- portrait mode can be a bit tricky. I haven't used Dad's iPhone 3GS enough to comment on the differences.

More on the N1:
The voice-to-text feature is very accurate and I find myself using it quite a bit. For example, I can say something obscure like "Navigate to Right Stuf" and sure enough, it knows that I meant the Anime seller in Grimes, IA. They don't list an address on their site but it finds it anyways. It's super fast and the free Dolphin browser enables multitouch. Call quality is superb due to the dedicated noise canceling chip and second mic on the back. The display is gorgeous but I found that the auto brightness feature tends towards the dim side- I turned that off.

I don't have a data plan but it's been working perfectly on WiFi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  1. Email (AFAIK rather proprietary.... gmail only?)

There's a separate app included that claims to work with "most accounts". I haven't tried it since I've moved everything to GMail.

Edit:

My first impression on the SQ is that it's about as bad as the 3GS. This won't be replacing your dedicated DAP.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swype keyboard has been leaked for android 2.0 (and greater) devices, obsoletes multitouch text input.. its truly amazing. Swype | Text Input for Screens

Yeah I saw that, but my two thumbs can type faster, so there's no point.

I already have considerable speed on the iphone's landscape keyboard; Last year's Hero slowed me down, the Samsung Galaxy slowed me down, and only the WinMo HTC HD2 (which HTC supposedly hacked multitouch into) seems virtually, almost, comparable to my impressions of typing on an iphone. This certainly could be a combination of screen size, CPU prowess and other factors, but if it's any less, you'll understand why I can't commit to the nexus one.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zodduska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swype keyboard has been leaked for android 2.0 (and greater) devices, obsoletes multitouch text input.. its truly amazing. Swype | Text Input for Screens

Wow, that is crazy. I wonder how long it'll take to become the standard?

As for which phone, I think I'll still go for the E72. Which'll cost me ~$150 against the Nexus One's ~$700

[size=xx-small]Means I'll have some cash to drop on a pair of HF1.
tongue.gif
[/size]

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 32
mattcalf,

I have the nexus one but have not used the other phones you mentioned.

I used a G1 before this, and I really loved the slide out keyboard, so I was a bit worried when I made the upgrade to the nexus.

The on screen keyboard is very responsive due to the fast processor and I initially had to get used to the word suggestion feature but soon enough it made my typing faster. The keyboard is very roomy in landscape mode, but otherwise it is cramped and I don't use it that way. It is a little strange at first to hold a phone in landscape mode and not have as much phone to hold onto while typing (due to lack of slide out keyboard) but I have adjusted.

With Google Voice, the keyboard has a voice to text feature which is very accurate and replaces typing for me most of the time when sending texts (which are free to send if you have a Google Voice account)

The AMOLED screen is really nice, but one thing that disappointed me is that I cannot read the screen in sunlight due to glare. The G1 screen did not have this problem.

The other thing I hate is that I use the phone as an mp3 player and if I am not using the earbuds that come with the phone and have inline pause/ff/rewind, then I have to 1) push the power button 2) slide the lock icon 3) hit the music icon - 3 steps to get back to the player screen if I want to pause the song or whatever.

Lastly, I feel that HTC / Google deliberately copied features of the iPhone's GUI. To me, this sucks because I despise the way Apple tries to rope people into their proprietary BS like iTunes and all that other BS, even if their product is a good one.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for that razmalai.
smily_headphones1.gif

God, it's so tempting. I kinda figured the AMOLED screen would have that downfall, as I've experienced it with an iriver Clix2. Google voice sounds interesting to say the least.

Hmmm....

Just wait till you try Google Voice on a home computer. I'll never pay for "texting" in my phone plan again :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back