E530 attenuator vs non attenuator ?
Nov 24, 2008 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

robm321

Headphoneus Supremus
I use a Xin Supermini III, and I have had to put the attenuator on.

The reason is as I turn up the amp volume up without the attenuator, it the volume increase starts in the left IEM and then increases in the right IEM eventually reaching a point where the volume is the same level in both left and right. On some recordings to get both the left and right to balance the volume is too loud. Or seeminly too loud anyway.

I do feel that the attenuator degrades the sound, but I can't be sure. It because listening without is set at a much louder volume.

If anyone can understand what I've tried to explain and can relate, what was your solution?

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 9
I read somewhere that this behavior is "normal" for amps. I have the same problem with a Corda2Move. Had it with a Xin superdual, too. Not sure why, though.

I have the Shure E530 and think the sound is awesome, but I agree sometimes it's too loud even at the lowest volume. However, they are so sensitive that I barely notice a difference with an amplifier. I too feel that the attenuator degrades the sound a bit, but it is almost as if, well, the sound doesn't have enough oomph, which I 'm guessing to mean that the signal isn't amplified enough.

Nov 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by pufftissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read somewhere that this behavior is "normal" for amps. I have the same problem with a Corda2Move. Had it with a Xin superdual, too. Not sure why, though.

I have the Shure E530 and think the sound is awesome, but I agree sometimes it's too loud even at the lowest volume. However, they are so sensitive that I barely notice a difference with an amplifier. I too feel that the attenuator degrades the sound a bit, but it is almost as if, well, the sound doesn't have enough oomph, which I 'm guessing to mean that the signal isn't amplified enough.

Thanks for the reply. At least I feel that my thoughts are justified because you explained exactly what I've experienced. The attenuator seems to hold everything back a bit and the already rolled off treble suffers even more.

I think it is normal for the amp to start in one channel. I almost wish I could depower my Xin Supermini a bit to just make sure I'm not doing damage to my hearing even though the E530s sound better the louder you listen.

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 9
bump
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #5 of 9
my headsix used to do that and I would get pissed because my super sensitive earphones would be too loud at low volumes, so there would always be like an imbalance of some sort...

I just got a shure attenuator today to hook up my IEMs to my kenwood hd30gb9, it does get rid of the hiss but I only shifted it a little away from the max setting to just get rid of the hiss.

I don't really notice that much of a SQ degrade. Still sounds good to me.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 9
I think that's the best solution. I do notice when I just use the attenuator and keep it slightly less than fully on that it tends to sound pretty good.

I'm thinking it sounds better without mainly because I have to turn it up so loud. And the louder the E530s are the better they sound... but not so healthy for the ears

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 9
YES! That is what I thought! But when I just turned up the player with the attenuator, to about the same volume, it was pretty much the same.

So that way, I know that the SQ hasn't been killed by that much and I can safely listen to my music at a lower, hissless volume.

Nov 25, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 9
different iems sound differently with change in impedance. The ER4P becomes brighter with additional impedance, but my Shure E5 becomes darker.

Nov 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #9 of 9
Slight attenuation works well with no issues. I agree - the Shures definately become darker the more the in-line volume is used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back