E500 Questions...
Mar 3, 2006 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

garyd9

New Head-Fier
For those who might know...

What "accessories" will the Shure E500 come with? Same as the E5's with the PTH/cables added? Attenuator?

Do the tips (foamies, tri-flanges, etc) from the E3/E4's fit on the E500?

When they ship, will they available in multiple shades (ie: black/white/grey like the E4's) or just black? (I'd prefer not having white earphones... )

How sensitive are they? Will portable devices need an amp to drive them?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by garyd9
For those who might know...

What "accessories" will the Shure E500 come with? Same as the E5's with the PTH/cables added? Attenuator?

Do the tips (foamies, tri-flanges, etc) from the E3/E4's fit on the E500?

When they ship, will they available in multiple shades (ie: black/white/grey like the E4's) or just black? (I'd prefer not having white earphones... )

How sensitive are they? Will portable devices need an amp to drive them?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Hi Gary,

E500 will have the same accessory kit as the E4/E4c models: A pair each of foam sleeves, triple flange, small medium and large clear flex and small medium and large soft flex. The attenuator, 1/4"-1/8" adapter, a 9 inch extension cable, a 3 foot extension cable and a carrying pouch are also included.

E500 will only be available in one color, we call it chrome black (or black chrome... I can't remember).

E500 sensitivity is approximately 119 dB SPL/mW, so it's about 10 dB more efficient than E4, about 3 dB less efficient than E5. The impedance is approximately 41 ohms at 1 kHz, DC resistance is 24 ohms.

I'll let others decide if it needs an amp or not. I'll have them with me at the NY Head-fi meet next month and I'm guessing some people will be trying it there.

I hope this helps.

Mar 3, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 34
Sugarfired, at the NJ Meet we were all wondering if it would be possible for Shure to sell them at the National meet? I know there are at least a dozen folks who would be interested in trying and then buying them right then and there...

Just curious...
k1000smile.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sugarfried
E500 will have the same accessory kit as the E4/E4c models...
E500 will only be available in one color, we call it chrome black (or black chrome... I can't remember)....
so it's about 10 dB more efficient than E4, about 3 dB less efficient than E5.

Thank you for replying. This means I won't need to add anything to my pre-order, that I won't have to beg for "anything but white", and that I "should" be able to use them un-amped with a 5G iPod... (which is almost all I can ask for...)

Now my only possible complaint is the 3 months I have to keep using my (broken) E3's while I wait. (I could send the e3's in for replacement, but that would mean I'd have nothing portable to use for a week except for some Sony EX71's - which is simply unacceptable.)
tongue.gif

Take care
Gary

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 34
Thank's for the technical spec's on the new release, Sugarfried. Looks like I'll have a little more adjustability with the volume on my amped portable set-up. Can't wait to get my pair.
tongue.gif

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 34
Trogdor: At the time of the meet E500 won't be shipping yet. Also, since there will be Shure dealers at the event we won't be selling anything - all sales will be through the vendors. Maybe some of them will be taking preorders since our ship date is about 3-4 weeks after the event.

Gary: If you call service at (800) 516-2525 they might be willing to send an E3 to you before you send yours back so that you won't have to be without. They may ask you to secure it with a credit card, but you won't be charged as long as you send your E3c in. I haven't talked with the service folks in a while, so I apologize in advance if you ask and they refuse.
BTW, as I type this I'm listening to E500 through my 5g ipod.
wink.gif
Board rules, I can't give my opinions.

Mar 3, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

wink.gif

That is SO cruel.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

wink.gif

Rather than give your opinion, can you state the fact of the configuration of your listening? Via the headphone jack or line-out? If from the line-out, what device do you have between the ipod and E500's? While your at it, can you PM me the opinions?
wink.gif

As for the e3's - thats not a bad idea. They might actually go for it. I wonder if that department would replace my e3c's with "anything but white." I'll give 'em a buzz when I get home this afternoon.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 34
With the time that I spent listening to the E500's, they are definitely very revealing, particularly if your source or amp has any level of "hissing" noise. So I definitely cannot use the E500 straight out of my iRiver iHP-120 headphone output as the hissing noise is very noticeable. With an amp it's much better. (tried it with a Hornet).

And heheh, Sugarfried has a pretty extensive portables collection.
wink.gif

I'm sitting at ORD terminal typing this post waiting for my flight to LAX. Listening to E4's. The wait for the E500's just seems so far away.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 34
Purgatos: Sorry about that. (but not really)

Gary: I go between the ipod headphone out, the line out into an SR71, Hornet, Supermini v6, Total Bithead, and a few other amps. At that point in time I was coming straight out of the ipod. Right now I'm messing around with something that I can't talk about.
very_evil_smiley.gif

You should ask the service people if they'll send a gray (or new black) version to replace your E3c.

Ed: You're about 12 miles away from me. Too bad your layover isn't longer.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

At that point in time I was coming straight out of the ipod. Right now I'm messing around with something that I can't talk about.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Talk? no one is asking you to TALK about it. Can't you type without talking?
wink.gif

I'm wondering if the E500's (that I've never heard before, but already have on preorder) would sound better via a 5G ipod headphone out, or coming out the line-out (pocketdock) with the shure attenuator in-between to prevent deafness and give some degree of volume control. Does anyone have an opinion on that? If board rules disallow public posting of your particular opinion, please just PM it to me.

Mar 3, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

E500 will have the same accessory kit as the E4/E4c models: A pair each of foam sleeves, triple flange, small medium and large clear flex and small medium and large soft flex. The attenuator, 1/4"-1/8" adapter, a 9 inch extension cable, a 3 foot extension cable and a carrying pouch are also included.

Wasn't there some mention in another thread about a new type of foam tip being available with the E500's?

Mar 3, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #13 of 34
And, IIRC, the push to hear thingy?

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #14 of 34
The new foams that have been talked about will not be included with E500, but the PTH will be included. Since I didn't mention it before, the PTH will come with a triple A battery.

The new foams are only prototypes, we don't have any schedule as to when they'll be done.

gary: PM sent. I won't comment on any one model, but I'll say that a line out adapter from an ipod into our PA235 attenuator is not very good sounding. The PA235 is really only meant for airplane use where the seat volume for movies or music is way too loud for efficient sound isolating earphones (all types).

Mar 3, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #15 of 34
Sugarfried, the E500 is targeted toward consumers rather than on-stage musicians is that right? I'm curious as to why the sensitivity is so high when from a "consumer" point of view it's not really needed? Perhaps high sensitivity is useful to professionals, but in the consumer realm, high sensitivity tends to highlight system noise that intrudes upon the listening experience (especially in very dynamic music).

With the E4c and the Westone UM2, I can clearly hear static from my mp3 player during quiet passages of classical music, and believe you me it is annoying. Reaching good listening levels doesn't need to be at 20% of the mp3 player's max volume (and in many ways it can be a detriment). A lower sensitivity that hides system noise, but still high enough to reach comfortable listening loudness at say, half volume is plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back