E500 Less Than Expected
Sep 12, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #61 of 100
Right now after owning the Ety ER4s and Shure E500, I'd put them on par with each other. The Shure is more musical and lush, while the ety is more accurate with highs to die for.

The Shures don't do classical right. They lack the highs the violins need and sound very dull, but do rock and jazz very well. The etys are perfect for classical and rock, but don't give you the punch that the Shures do with rock.

Either way, I'm keeping both. The Ety is the better value since it's on par with the Shures, and the Shures are a value because they seem to be about as good as the UE10/11 for several headfiers.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #63 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope not really. The ER4 have this accentuation no other thing i know of has. I see people claiming the UE10 to be an improved ER4, and the truth is the UE10 and SE530 are close to each other than they are to the ER4. The shure SE530 many claim to be rolled off, yet it extends much more before starting to roll off than a lot of headphones (not just IEMS but anything). Lacking bass, plus innacurate decay seems to me is responsible for that illusion of extra detail.

ur only comparing er-4 to other iem's. if u actually look at the frequency response it's flatter than any other

inaccurate decay is really ignorant if u've ever thought about how a driver works.

a driver reproduces the audio signal. if u think about a decay as a falling transient, it's impossible for the decay to be shorter than the signal decay. longer, sure - if it's a slow driver. that's what causes some drivers to sound muddy. shorter, impossible.

the extra detail is not an illusion. it's extra detailed because the drivers are faster. that's all there is to iem's. they're not intelligent devices. they don't know how music is supposed to sound.

when u think smg sounds realistic, its ur brain that's responsible for the illusion of extra detail. u want to think that's what it actually sounds like. it doesn't.

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #64 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ur only comparing er-4 to other iem's. if u actually look at the frequency response it's flatter than any other

inaccurate decay is really ignorant if u've ever thought about how a driver works.

a driver reproduces the audio signal. if u think about a decay as a falling transient, it's impossible for the decay to be shorter than the signal decay. longer, sure - if it's a slow driver. that's what causes some drivers to sound muddy. shorter, impossible.

the extra detail is not an illusion. it's extra detailed because the drivers are faster. that's all there is to iem's. they're not intelligent devices. they don't know how music is supposed to sound.

when u think smg sounds realistic, its ur brain that's responsible for the illusion of extra detail. u want to think that's what it actually sounds like. it doesn't.

well where your wrong there is saying the er4p are detailed because the drivers are faster, when the fact of it is its an illusion because it leaves out much bass, because bass means the driver is required to move slower but further, this is why multi driver earphones blow the er4p out of the water because it allows one or two drivers to move slow and handle bass and one to love lightning quick to deal with highs and mids.

so yes the er4 are lightning quick and detailed but this is only because etymotic left out other drivers and opted for less bass production, which in my opinion makes it less accurate because music needs bass also

Sep 12, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #65 of 100
dont get me wrong theres no doubt the er4 are accurate but in my opinion its only because the bass is kept to a minimum which is a big short coming, but its a wise move because single drivers only tend to go down hill when they have to deal with bass aswell

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #67 of 100
i am not sayin they are not fast,im saying most balanced armatures are fast but some are let down by overblown bass giving what seems like a slow muddy response,this is why the er4's seem superior in speed,because the bass has been held back and its single driver

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #68 of 100
This is the response I am imagining will come soon
icon10.gif

"So, you're saying that single armature earphones can't have good bass?"

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #69 of 100
lol i had a feeling that would have came aswell, but my response also would be in my opinion bass will always perform better with a dedicated driver because it can be as powerful as needed without detracting from the overall sound of mids and highs.

single drivers can produce bass and it can be controlled but imho bass will never have the same punch and response through a single driver iem,i especially think the er4 were held back tho to help big time not to detract from the accuracy, which brings us to the point that bass means less accuracy, my response to that is bass can be as acurate as highs but is more so when dedicated

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #70 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bellsprout /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well it's lacking in your opinion. last time i checked the bass was pretty damn flat. the argument here is that er-4's aren't actually fast? lol?

Last time I listened it sounds less realistic than most other IEMs. ANd the decay is ineed irrealistic, because the sound is not only about the drivers. The sound is also about the housing. Almost all music is recorded to be played back on speackers. The room allows for the creation of some decay. If the housing does not allow that to happen, its simply innacurate. And that will give the illusion of more detail.

I did not know the entire sound of something was based, on drivers, so you are basically saying headfiers have been wasting money for no reason by woodying their headphones, and doing other housing modifications for not only aesthetics but sound.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #71 of 100
I found that the SE530 sounds remarkably similar to the Crossroads Mylarone X3, except the SE530 has more bass quantity.

Sep 13, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #72 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now after owning the Ety ER4s and Shure E500, I'd put them on par with each other. The Shure is more musical and lush, while the ety is more accurate with highs to die for.

The Shures don't do classical right. They lack the highs the violins need and sound very dull, but do rock and jazz very well. The etys are perfect for classical and rock, but don't give you the punch that the Shures do with rock.

I've tried to stay out of the fray on this one but...
I'm listening to the Shostakovich Cello Concerto #2 right now and Rostropovich' cello sounds great through my E500s. There's a short percussion section that was an out of head experience, had to look to see that nothing was there. I have not heard the ER4s but if you took away the warmth and the rumbling undertones of the cellos and double bass you have nil.

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #74 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last time I listened it sounds less realistic than most other IEMs. ANd the decay is ineed irrealistic, because the sound is not only about the drivers. The sound is also about the housing. Almost all music is recorded to be played back on speackers. The room allows for the creation of some decay. If the housing does not allow that to happen, its simply innacurate. And that will give the illusion of more detail.

I did not know the entire sound of something was based, on drivers, so you are basically saying headfiers have been wasting money for no reason by woodying their headphones, and doing other housing modifications for not only aesthetics but sound.

i'm yet to see a woodied iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back