E500 Less Than Expected
Aug 19, 2007 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 100
I noticed the same thing OP. Terrific bass and midrange, but the lack of treble gave me the same long term boredom that the Senns give me. Which is my personal preference.

I went back to using my Etys which are more analytical but don't leave me wanting more sparkle.

I have a Supermini amp made specifically with bass boost for the Etys, but without that boost they don't have enough bass. I think the Westone 3s are the only hope for the near (or maybe far) future... Aside from spending a ton of money for the UE11s.

Aug 19, 2007 at 5:40 AM Post #18 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've not heard the PK-1's, but now own the E500, along with a few other IEM's. The E500's sound very lack-luster when I initially switch from a brighter sounding IEM; however, after I've gotten used to the E500's sound after a few hours or so (without constant switching back and forth with another IEM) I've found the sound quality very enjoyable across the entire sound spectrum.

My suggestion would be to give them, and only them, a listen for a few days to adjust. Then switch to the PK-1's to see which you prefer. Chances are, though, you'll end up liking them both for entirely different reasons.

I own both and couldn't have said it better myself. The 530's take time to adjust to after listening to another phone like the PK1 which has bright highs. They have great detail and are super comfortable. I would like to try the triple.fi's but won't due to the fact that I find the super.fi pros to be uncomfortable to insert and wear, i.e., UE customs or bust for those with smaller ear canals.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 100
I am finding that I enjoy the soundstage of the e500. It seems great for an IEM. I still miss some of the brightness my regular cans give, but am getting more used to the e500 sound.

Maybe Yuin will come out with an in-ear version of the PK1. Better still, Westone can release the Westone 3.

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #21 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accentuated highs aren't more detail. It's treble brightness. There are details to be portrayed at all frequencies.

I had Ety ER4's for years, until I recently got the E500's. I kept telling myself that the Ety's had bass. They do, but are not sufficiently extended for me anymore. Plus, the Shures actually have soundstage.

If you want a scalpel to pick apart your music, get the Ety's. If you want to listen to music, keep the Shures.

Oh, and Triple-Fi's are uncomfortable to me.

this is absolutely bang on in my opinion,too many people refer to sharp highs as detail in sound but they could not be more wrong,i absolutely love the sound of my se530 and believe whole heartedly they portray super clean and acurate bass,and forward but smooth and very detailed mids,highs are perfect aswell in my opinion because although they are not nearly as sharp as the er4's,i think shure did this for a reason and that reason being too much attention to the highs pulls many away from the actually more detailed mids and bass where the actual music is most widely presented,the triple fi's are more presentable in the highs but as i said this pulls you away from the actual nice detailing of the mids and bass,shure are not stupid and they have done all this for reasons,that reason i believe is to give a cleaner smoother sound to your music with highs being pin sharp when needed,nothing a bit of EQ cant sort out if you get desperate for that bland fatuiging ety sound

Aug 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #22 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to try the E500s with a Hornet M. I'd go so far as to say the treble roll-off is unbearable without that particular amp.

Can someone else who uses the E500s with the Hornet M confirm this? I'm considering this combo for a future upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #23 of 100
Quote:

Accentuated highs aren't more detail. It's treble brightness. There are details to be portrayed at all frequencies.

Yes, but the sounds that we perceive as detail in the lower registers are often situated in the higher frequencies. A bit hard to explain what I am meaning here. But the clicking sound of a snapping percussion-pedal or the sound of a bass guitar string being plucked are situated in a higher freq.(around 4000Hz) than that of the tone being taken. So naturally a can with an emphasis in that area (4kHz, which at least is belonging to the upper midrange) would seem more detailed than a headphone thats not.

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #24 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but the sounds that we perceive as detail in the lower registers often situated in the higher frequencies. A bit hard to explain what I am meaning here. But the clicking sound of a snapping percussion-pedal or the sound of a bass guitar string being plucked are situated in a higher freq. than that of the tone being taken (around 4000Hz). So naturally a can with an emphasis in that area (4kHz, which at least is belonging to the upper midrange) would seem more detailed than a headphone thats not.

well if thats your casing point then the shures are infact one of the absolute most detailed iem's available because the upper midrange is the strongest point of the shures second to the mids,its the very highs that start to roll off,so you also are complimenting the shures without i think meaning to
580smile.gif

Aug 19, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deftoned /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm only stating what I know. Not taking any sides, since I have not listened to any IEM at all.

fair point i suppose,but with that information i would like to state that what you said if infact true would prove the 500's to be a super detailed iem to the human ear,i mean lets face it its proven science aswell that humans lose the ability to hear sounds in the highest part of the frequency range about 20khz after i think its the age 19 or 20,which is something else to consider,i like ety's but i think its a bit of a 1 trick pony all highs not much else an this is not something made up but actually something that happens naturally to humans after a certain age,i honestly dont even think the highs are too rolled off in the shures but just more pronounced with the triple fi's

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #27 of 100
The E500 highs can rolled off but it is somewhat of a fit/tip issue similar to the UM2's. With certain tips the treble returns on both. If they were truly rolled off, the highs could not return like magic for some depending on fit/tip. Not wanting to get into the whole tip issue except to say that the particular design they both share is known to be very tip sensitive.

The Ety is not a one trick pony as the mids are not bettered by any other universal and the bass extension and detail is also up with the best. The lack of power/impact is an issue with some though.

I had the Triples and the treble is really not more pronounced. It is more extended and more detailed than the Shure. The only time it can appear pronounced is with tips that give more recessed mids. When the fit is right they are quite balanced over the spectrum and the treble is just plain good. It is the reason many liken them to the Ety's though in all actuality they are quite different sounding.

Aug 19, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The E500 highs can rolled off but it is somewhat of a fit/tip issue similar to the UM2's. With certain tips the treble returns on both. If they were truly rolled off, the highs could not return like magic for some depending on fit/tip. Not wanting to get into the whole tip issue except to say that the particular design they both share is known to be very tip sensitive.

The Ety is not a one trick pony as the mids are not bettered by any other universal and the bass extension and detail is also up with the best. The lack of power/impact is an issue with some though.

I had the Triples and the treble is really not more pronounced. It is more extended and more detailed than the Shure. The only time it can appear pronounced is with tips that give more recessed mids. When the fit is right they are quite balanced over the spectrum and the treble is just plain good. It is the reason many liken them to the Ety's though in all actuality they are quite different sounding.

i agree about the issue with the triple fi's that they do have cleaner highs than the shures but i beg to differ about the ety's having better mids than anything iem,i think the mids is what seperates the shures from the rest because they are simply more detailed and cleaner and clearer than the ety's as mentioned previously the ety's offer much sharper and cleaner highs than them all but this is why i state them being a 1 trick pony because they are touted as having exceptional clarity which ofcourse is mostly down to them highs i would also dissagree about them tip statements i only really ever find that the different fittings of tips only really contribute to bass and lower mids,highs are rarely ever improved with better fitting i also think you should check out the stats mate the shures are clearly more extended in the highs but more rolled off,and the harder bass dont help the highs

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #29 of 100
Actually I didn't say the Ety had the best mids. I do think they are neck and neck with the Shure mids. If you take them on their own; not influenced by the Shure mids being more forward or either diminished by the Ety treble presence I believe the mids to be as resolved and detailed and just as high quality though there are still differences that one person can prefer over another. The UE mids are not quite as good as either,IMO, even if I take them on their own disregarding my preference for more forward mids. My preference is more forward but I can judge them removing that bias as it is personal( more forward mids does not automatically mean better).

How can something be more extended and also rolled off? That is impossible. They are opposites.

You are too much of a Shure fanboy. Admit that the UE has better treble. The Shures have better mids. They have a better design also. All three of these IEM's perform on essentially the same high level. They all have faults. They all best each other in one thing or another. When the Westone 3 comes out you will pick that apart also while blindly championing the Shures. Just a wee bit of objectiveness.

Remember other people have different tastes, hearing, and equipment than you and experiences are not going to be the same. People have had cable issues with the Shure even if you didn't/don't. Many report the treble roll-off or that the crossover seems to detach the highs or mids. You can't tell these people what their experience was. Everyone is different and what anyone reports here is one of many different experiences that we can browse and combine to use as a guide. The guide can only be useful with both sides of the story, good and bad.

Aug 19, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #30 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can something be more extended and also rolled off? That is impossible.

Thanks for pointing that out. I wondered too
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back