E500 and the PTH system
May 5, 2006 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
I was reading up on the e500 and I noticed something called the PTH that will be bundled with them. From headphone.com:

An industry first for sound-isolating earphones, the E500 is available packaged with Shure's new modular Push-to-Hear (PTH) accessory. Designed to allow consumers to alternate between complete immersion in their music or a connection with outside ambient sounds, the Push-to-Hear Control activates an external microphone and mutes the music. Perfect for brief conversations at work or when traveling, Shure's PTH is also sold separately and can be used with any sound isolating earphones.

Shure's PTH accessory will also be sold separately for $59.00 and is compatible with Shure's E500 or any other standard earphone.

So it sounds like this is kind of like a clip-on mic with a patchthrough and a mute button. When I first read it I got excited, it sounded like the perfect thing for me. I do alot of biking on roads and trails and like to have music while I'm on the trails, but be able to hear while on the roads. But when I started thinking about it, the amount of wind noise this mic would probably pick up while I was biking would likely make it completely useless to me. I mean heck, I can hear the KSC-75 diapghrams crinkling when it's really windy. Does anyone know anything more about the PTH or the mic quality?

May 5, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 8
...no offense, but you are awhile behind on the news. Search around and you will find personal opinions about the PTH from those who actually tried it.

May 5, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 8
I used PtH at the national meet. It sounds wierd the first time you feel it, it's sort of like you're hearding the world in miniature (soundstage wise), but it certain does work). I had no bike, though, sadly, but it's definately decent quality. Also, the KSC-75's, whilist good phones, are not famed for their detail or refinement and are open - you might confuse outside sound with inside sound, or some such, whilist with the E500's at least they're sealed.

But directly on your question, no, I can't really help you.

May 5, 2006 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtheisticFreedom
...no offense, but you are awhile behind on the news. Search around and you will find personal opinions about the PTH from those who actually tried it.

I apologize that I do not spend all of my time keeping up on the latest and greatest in headphones. I appreciate the insightful help though.

May 5, 2006 at 2:34 AM Post #5 of 8
It's a pretty cool device. It stands for pust to hear, I think. you connect it to your E500's or other IEM and when you want to hear what someone is saying to you, push the button and the mic picks up there voice into the IEM's.

May 5, 2006 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 8
I tried the PTH at the Montreal HiFi show. I don't think it was designed to be left on all the time. (Such as for bike riding) I believe it is more suited for use durriring brief interptuions i.e. when someone walks in the room, or if a flight attendent asks if you want another drink
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 8
ElectroJunkie is correct that the PTH cannot be left on to hear the world while simultaneously listening to music. At the National meet I tried it for a while walking around and think it works well for its intended use--occasional listening as described by the Junkie. Although Shure guys said that it quiets the music to hear the outside, it actually muted the music altogether to my ears. I did not think it influenced the sound quality of the music when in bypass mode.

May 5, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader
I apologize that I do not spend all of my time keeping up on the latest and greatest in headphones. I appreciate the insightful help though.

I'd flame you on this one, but the search function has not been working all that well lately.

But that probably would not have made a difference for you, even if it was working perfectly.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back