E4c vs. UE Super.fi 5Pro
May 22, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

crazyboarder

100+ Head-Fier
E4c vs. UE Super.fi 5Pro is it worth $50 More For dule drivers?

May 23, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 11
i am dying to find out the comparisons once the super fi's come out. i don't know what to get!

May 23, 2005 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 11
I don't think anyone knows at the moment, the e4/e4cs have only just come out, and the Super.fis are not yet out, only a handful of beta testers know what they sound like. Give it a couple more weeks at a minimum.

May 23, 2005 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 11
rumor has it that Jmmmmm, who was one of the super-fi beta testers, has ordered some E4s. I think he even wrote this.

We all await Jmmmmm's answer.

Or maybe he should compare the Super Fi 5s to the E5?

May 23, 2005 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 11
I think, at best, all that the beta testers can give is a surface comparison because i don't think they are going to give a full comparo until the production Superfis come out. The production models will no doubt have certain improvements from the beta testers' comments over the beta version. That being said, I can't wait for the all out comparisons between the quality canal phones within this segment...Westone UM2, Shure E5, Etymotic ER4, Shure E4, and Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5Pro/EB, etc. Anybody crazed enough to have all these phones?
blink.gif

May 23, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Which ever one is the winner will be my next upgrade.

E3c's are nice but I need more bass and better highs. But for the time being, they are a heck of a lot better than my Apple Earbuds.

//PowerMac

BTW We do need a Shure smiley.

May 23, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowie11
I think, at best, all that the beta testers can give is a surface comparison because i don't think they are going to give a full comparo until the production Superfis come out. The production models will no doubt have certain improvements from the beta testers' comments over the beta version.

Good point. Whatever the beta testers say were the downsides of the superfi 5s - that may well be what was changed on them for the better - so their assessments are not really going to be totally reliable.

If they weren't changed any - my wild guess (having briefly heard the supreFi 5s and having owned the Ety 4 and UM2) is that it is a matter of taste. The E5s seem to be the best of the Shures still from early assessments with the strongest bass. The ER4s still have the best detail. And the UM2 and the SuperFi5s are close with some differences that will be according to taste. I actually liked one of them better on my mp3 player and the other better on my home stereo.

Sorry I can't be more specific yet on the SUper Fi5s, but all I heard was the beta model anyway.

May 23, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by donaldekelly
Good point. Whatever the beta testers say were the downsides of the superfi 5s - that may well be what was changed on them for the better - so their assessments are not really going to be totally reliable.

I remember reading somewhere that the final UEs are sonically identical to the betas, not sure if this can be verified?

May 23, 2005 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
I remember reading somewhere that the final UEs are sonically identical to the betas, not sure if this can be verified?

That would be interesting to see. It would be kind of strange to spend that sort of money in a beta program just for aesthetic criticism though IMHO. Couldn't they just conduct a poll of some sort in Head Fi and save themselves a ton of cash (ie, Which color would you like better? Would you still buy it if it stuck out of your ears like the rabbit ears of 80's television lore?, etc.)? I think the folks here in HeadFi are opinionated enough to give them a pretty good sampling of what the audio loving community is looking for.

Then again, I have seen companies do less with beta programs...I guess time will tell. It would be cool if you find that post though...

May 23, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN

i dunno if its official but i also read somewhere that the final UE will be identical in terms of sound to the beta and changes, if any, would be in the aesthetics

EDIT: this is an official review of the superfi by playlist mag
http://playlistmag.com/features/2005...ears/index.php

"The company says this early sample sounds identical to the production models that will be released this week, the only differences being minor aesthetic details. "

May 23, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Playlist’s policy is to only review the same products consumers will be able to buy, so we won’t conduct a full review of the super.fi models until we receive production samples

I see where it says that the changes will only be aesthetic, but something tells me that isn't entirely accurate. Actually, a few details about that preliminary review were inaccurate and actually brought up in a different thread (no custom earpiece planned so far, another one is the release date where it is stated that the production model is to come out next week when I've heard musings from people who have spoken to Ultimate Ears reps that this model isn't coming out until June, etc.). I guess we'll just see when the production model comes out and maybe one of the beta testers can A/B their beta versions to a burned in production model. Or maybe a rep from Ultimate Ears can give us some insight ala Sugarfried with the Shure E4's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back