E4C VS ER6i's (for a Commuter)
Mar 22, 2006 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

jplatypus

Head-Fier
Hi all!! I currently own the Shure e4c's and definetly love the sound but am so sick of the bulkyness while commuting. The chord is like ten lbs of lead and the buds feel like they're constantly in danger of falling out. I'm wondering if I should trade in my shures for the ety er6i's. They seem decently high end and a much better commuter earbud. I just was hoping to get thoughts on these two headphones. I know they're at different ends of the spectrum for quality and price. What I'm really wondering is as a singer at Juilliard will I be happy with the sound of the er6i's..... or at least close to as happy as I am with the sound the e4c's produce. Thanks a ton for your input!
etysmile.gif

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 23
A singer at Julliard? I guess you like (maybe love?) the vocal presentation of the E4c then? Then I wouldn't replace it with the ER6i.

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 23
Yeah I really love the e4c. Especially the vocal reproduction. It's the cleanest and most emercive sound I've ever heard out of a headphone period. I'd like to get the er6i's but am worried they're gonna be closer in quality to the Koss Plug then the e4c's :wink:

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 23
The E4C is my first head-fi purchase and I still love them to this day. I have been using the E4C with my portable setup and I commute everyday to university and now to work. I usually just run the cables under my shirt in front of me, you can do this from the back but it takes a while to set it up so i usually just run it in front of me. This conceals the thick cables and reduces the the weight and friction of the the cables. Some may say the microphonics may increase but i never really have a problem with microphonics with my E4C. Once the cable exits the bottom of my shirt, i just roll them up and slide them in my left pocket. Easy! My DAP then sits in my left pocket also. I've always worn the E4C like this and it has never given me any problem. (Except for one of the sleeve getting stuck in my ear, but that's another story
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 23
well i did have both at one time starting with the er6i's. When i first got them i thought they were incredible but after recieving my e4cs i find it impossible to go back to the etys. They have very little impact when compared to the e4s and i also think the build wuality of the etys maybe a problem when using them often since the plug is fairly succeptable to damage and the wires are very thin. However if this is what you want then go for it..

Mar 22, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 23
The er6's will be a decent step down. If you want etyomtic, go with the 4p/s.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:32 PM Post #7 of 23
" feel like they're going to fall out" ?!?!?!?!?!

Maybe the e2c is VERY different to the e4c, but if I wind the cord back around my ears, and pull thecord tightener thing up to the back of my head, i can't see mine falling out... ever... not even if was headbanging....

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota
i also think the build wuality of the etys maybe a problem when using them often since the plug is fairly succeptable to damage and the wires are very thin. However if this is what you want then go for it..

Appearance and actuality not he same. The Ety's have superb build quality. I have had the Er-6 and now the ER-6i. You must be kidding if you think they are not built to last. The wire is thin - it is also very strong. I don't think they owe anyone an apology for actually achieving both.

Mar 22, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #10 of 23
I have both, I do agree that the E4c sounds better when I am sitting still, and just listening to music. They and the cord are heavier and are difficult to keep in if I am moving about.

The 6i is lighter, both the cord and the buds. There is some silicone on the body of the 6i which seems to make it stay in my ears better when moving about. The sound is great too, especially if you keep them clean. The flange does remove and you can clean the wax out. There is a convenient clip on this lightweight cord as well.

Also for being away from your office/home, the 6i is half to a third the price of the e4c, and if it "walks off" you are out a bit less.

Just my opinion, I don't get much critical listening done when I am moving about/commuting.

Mar 23, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 23
Just another question... are you wearing these behind your back, or like 'normal' earphones? For commute use and when I'm moving around, I find the behind the back routing works great.

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #12 of 23
I just upgraded from the ER6i to the E4c, and, to me, it is a huge improvement. The sound of the E4c is so much fuller than the Etys, and there is really no comparison when it comes to the amount of bass the E4c puts out. Another vast improvement is the reduction in microphonics in the Shures. The Etys would create sound just from brushing against your coat. And while I suppose there is some of the same phenomenon with the Shures, it is greatly reduced. I do agree that the Shure cable is bulky - I think I'm going to have to rig up some sort of clip in the near future - but then again, I did wear out the cable on the ER6i (the phones were quickly replaced with no hassle whatsoever). I would find it very hard to go back to the ER6i....Kevin

Mar 23, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevindb
I just upgraded from the ER6i to the E4c, and, to me, it is a huge improvement. The sound of the E4c is so much fuller than the Etys, and there is really no comparison when it comes to the amount of bass the E4c puts out. Another vast improvement is the reduction in microphonics in the Shures. The Etys would create sound just from brushing against your coat. And while I suppose there is some of the same phenomenon with the Shures, it is greatly reduced. I do agree that the Shure cable is bulky - I think I'm going to have to rig up some sort of clip in the near future - but then again, I did wear out the cable on the ER6i (the phones were quickly replaced with no hassle whatsoever). I would find it very hard to go back to the ER6i....Kevin

Same experience here. I doubt I can go back to the ER-6i after listening to the E4s. The Etys simply don't have the warmth that the E4s possess.

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #14 of 23
Thanks a ton guys for all your input. It helps to hear all this about the etys.... I'd love the shures more if it weren't for the cord. It's uncomfortable around my ears so I wear them with the cord hanging down and it's simply too heavy a cord to do that. I figured the etys would be a good comprimise. Still a quality IEM but with what appears to be better and quicker usability. Guess I'll have to keep looking!! Thank you guys so much. If you guys know of any headphones I might like please shout them out!!
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 23
If you like clarity, then the Er6is are actually a step down as previously mentioned. For clarity your E4cs are perfect. If you really want to change then I agree that the 4p/s is a very nice step in sound quality, though maybe not in comfort. I wouldn't really recommend upgrading unless the cable is simply unbearable to you. Maybe a cable wrap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back