E4c and ER4P etc. revisited (compare noise isolation/cancellation)
Feb 28, 2006 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

htb

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've read quite a few posts comparing the E4s with the ER4s (personal conclusion: preference varies with poster as to which one sounds 'better').

I'd be interested to know if there is a notable difference in noise isolation between the two.

I'll be wearing them mostly on trains and on airplanes, and the main purpose is to reduce background noise so that I can listen to podcasts and music without having to turn up the volume to excessive levels.

So far I have used the Bose QC2, but as of late I'm starting to think there should be something better as to noise isolation.

I probably wouldn't even mind to hear some outside noise -- on trains that would make keeping track of the stations so much easier. On planes I probably would like not to hear a thing at all. Can one vary the amount of isolation by using different tips?

A last point to consider would be that I'd prefer to connect the headphones directly to the iPod without an amp as I want to minimize the amount of stuff I carry around (another reason why I'd like to replace the QC2s).

Any thoughts?

HTB.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 8
Not sure about ety IEM's, but with Shure's (E4) it heavily depends on the tips/sleeves that you use, how well they are inserted, etc. There was once something on Shure's website (and I can't find it recently) that compared the noise reduction estimates for each different tip/sleeve. The foamies were supposed to reduce the most, with the soft/grey tips reducing the least. The tri-flanges and clear(hard) tips were estimated near the same.

I think it'd be fair to guess that Ety (ER4) IEM's have similar numbers, as they "reduce" noise using the same method: plugging your ears.

Neither IEM has any type of active noise reduction (unlike the Bose headsets.) However, I and many others believe that earplugs (IEMs) work much better than any type of noise reduction circuitry.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 8
Shure nor Westone block out nearly as much as Etymotic does with foamies.

Using a Shure E2C with those silicone eartips and foamies, you'll only block out like 15-20 dB. Using the large yellow foamies on an ER4 and you get a whopping 40-45 dB noise drop. Big note: increasing/decreasing dB is not linieair (x..), but exponential (^..), so 40 dB is not twice the amount of soundpressure/soundproduction as compared to 20 dB.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 8
If you use the tri-flanges or foams, the isolation of both phones is comparable IMO.

The soft flex or flex sleeves on the Shures don't work as well as the other tips.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 8
using the small foamies on the etys, it is possible to get a deeper insertion and better isolation.
what ipod are you using? personally i would use the e4c with the 4g and under, and both would be fine with the 5g (the 4g and below suffers a midbass rolloff which is not helped by the "neutrality" if the etys sound sig)
as far as comfort is concerned, i found the e4c much better, and i can lay my head down with them in, i tried this once with the etys, and felt rather violated.
hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 8
didn´t get a reply in the other thread, so I am trying here - are the yellow foam tips of the shure IEM (e4) compatible with the ety ER4P? I am sitting on a supply of those foamies, and am thinking of replacing my stolen e4 with an etymotic.

thanks
Delgado

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #7 of 8
If you're looking for great comfortable isolation, regardless of the IEM you should consider custom sleeves.

Mar 1, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 8
OK, thanks for all the answers.

I guess I made up my mind for the Shures E4c. The noise insulation is probably better on the ER4s considering the larger insertion depth -- but my head isn't that big so I guess I wouldn't be able to insert them completely anyway.

Also, one thing I don't like about the Bose QC2s is that it's difficult/impossible to lie on the side with them -- and the etys seem to have the same issue.

Now I just hope I won't feel compelled to buy the E500s as soon as they come out
etysmile.gif

HTB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back