E4 + G5 iPod = Disapointment
Dec 9, 2005 at 7:47 PM Post #16 of 24
My e4s sound great out of my iPod Mini. There is plenty of power in an ipod to drive e4s to a loud volume that is probably not good for your ears. An amp adds a little more bass, but the iPod is no slouch for power.

Dec 10, 2005 at 7:32 AM Post #18 of 24
I also think the E4s are the problem, at least in this situation. I use the sf5 pros unamped with both the 5G and Nano. SQ is excellent for both using LAME APE or 320 CBR files with EQ off. If I use my E3Cs with either, it's nothing but mids (I'm not bashing the Shures as I think they sound just fine with my Karma).

Dec 10, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #20 of 24
i knew the moment i went from hp120 to ipod nano i was going to have some serious bass problems after listening through e3c. The e3c is fine with hp120 but lacking in so much bass from nano that it was nearly unbearable to listen to (no fun at all). THe superfi5pros are doing great though... the treble boost makes them a bit more high note to counter the bass... any more treble at my ears will hurt from all the "s'" and cymbals. the problem in the highs and mids is that its not as extended so some think it sounds too much like a tin can (but unless you come from etys and grados) it won't be too bad... especially in comparison to most senns the dark sound is something your used to... the highs and mids are there but its dark signature and roll off (less extension) can make them sound like tin cans to those who listen to their headphones bright.

either exchange those e4s for superfi5pro or buy an amp... or another choice is getting customs. I'm sure you can easily sell those e4s here... a good chunk of people love them with amped or nonipod gear.

Dec 10, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #21 of 24
Chris is right on the E4s...........the best way to get their great detail is to get that Xin Supermini and get thrilled with the addition of significantly fuller sound a bass. Better yet, then go for some additional joy by using the bass jumper, and crossfeed jumper. Timing is all - you missed Xin's Thanksgiving sale where he had reduced the Supermini price to $150.......maybe he'll do another one. In the meantime with you having a full-size Ipod - best quality connection will be achieved by ordering a connector/cable made by Turbo, or a hardwired connector/cable made by Drew at MoonAudio.

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #22 of 24
thanks to all who given me advices!! appreciate it..

unfortunately i have sold my E4..

now looking at the AT-A900.. any coments?

btw, understand that AT have another variant of the 900 series. the AT-AD900. other than 1s open the other close, whats the difference in SQ between these 2?

Dec 14, 2005 at 3:53 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RB26DETT
thanks to all who given me advices!! appreciate it..

unfortunately i have sold my E4..

now looking at the AT-A900.. any coments?

btw, understand that AT have another variant of the 900 series. the AT-AD900. other than 1s open the other close, whats the difference in SQ between these 2?

I owned the A900 they have good bass response and will sound good just out of the ipod. The other AT I don't know enough to comment about. Again it doesn't need an amp but I don't want to comment about the sound because I haven't heard it.

Dec 14, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisfromalbany
I owned the A900 they have good bass response and will sound good just out of the ipod. The other AT I don't know enough to comment about. Again it doesn't need an amp but I don't want to comment about the sound because I haven't heard it.

good to hear that the bass response is good..! i'm quite a bass head..
580smile.gif

actually what are the main difference are we looking at when we compare open and close cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back