E3s just came in; first impressions inside
Mar 30, 2006 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

The_Duke_Of_Eli

Headphoneus Supremus
I just ripped open my E3s today after parting with my kind of muddy E2cs. First thing I loved about these were the gray colour. I hate the white ipod-esque look, and the black has a shorter cord. Bleh. The gray is nice, and the cord is gray to boot. The physical size of these is much smaller then the E2cs, and it feels better when putting it in, and looks less like a hearing aid.

Onto the sound:

(No burn-in)
I ran some test tracks, and I really wondered where the bass was. It was there, but it was weak. If you're a basshead I won't recommend it. I still have to burn these in, but the bass is still lacking. I ran som Stills, RHCP, Matthew Good, Panic! At the disco, and the clarity is much nicer. The bass is missed in some tracks (Animals and Insects by the Stills). That is an amazing track with full-size cans because you feel the vibrations in your head. The one-sized foamies worked well, and they feel better than the hard foam on the E2cs that really bothered me and hurt my ears. These feel much more comfy. The highs are tight, the mids are fine, but of course the bass and low-end is not missing, but definately not as prominant. It would've cost me double what I paid for me E3s to get the E4cs. I tried the E4gs, and the bass response is noticeably different. But it still doesn't justify the extra 100$. As I burn these in I will leave more impressions, but I still don't expect anything else from the low-end.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 30
Thanks for the first impression. The low-end improves a little but not by much IMHO. I really enjoy my E3c's, not for its outstanding SQ, but mainly for its isolation. I hope you enjoy yours as well.

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #3 of 30
I'm afraid burn-in does not have much difference in sound for the E3c.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 30
E3Cs just didn't cut it for me. I loved the detail but the lack of bass was just disappointing to me. Now I have the E4s (Also in grey, like you I love the understated look of them) and I'm absolutely happy with them. Seeing as the next signifigant jump is the E500s with 3 drivers at ~$500, the E4s should be my last pair of IEMs. I just can't justify spending any more on IEMs.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 30
I got my Shure E3C last week as well @ ebay
I only have a clip-on headphone before I own the e3c tho.
When I plug into the IPOD 3G (bear in mind 3G has slighly more bass then 4G, and I prefer 3G sound then 5G)
The sound is pretty amazing,
biggrin.gif
, it worths every penny.
The shure e3c is best pairing up w/ the yellow foamies, they do block A LOT of sounds and noises, yet they are way more comfortable then the grey sleeves, (the absent of air pressure,)

The bass is there, might be a little tight, but I personally don't like too much bass for IEMs...probably because they go into my ear canals, and more bass would actually coz discomfort IMO.

However, these foamies had to be changed after a period of use.....
I am looking ways to DIY those, but, except the internet, I don't see
anywhere selling those sound isolation foamies......
blink.gif

The soundstage is huge (IMO, consider my pervious hp is a clip-on), listening w/ Jazz @ 320kps impressived me a lot (i.e. the swing and the bend of the sounds)

And for listening some anime OSTs (i.e. banner of the star,星界の紋章) @ 320 kps (ape-> 320kps), I found they are DAY AND NIGHT compare to my JVC clip on headphones...

however, for mp3s that have lower bitrate (>200kps), I found they are not enjoyable anymore
frown.gif

One question, do you guys register your warranty @ shure website or just leave it blank?

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 30
I went from er6i to e3c's so i thought the bass was pretty good but detail wasn't. Then i got ue 5pros and these are great. Has the detail of the ety's and more bass then the shures. The bass is also tighter.

Mar 30, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #8 of 30
Another nice thing to notice about E3 is there is very good separation of instruments in terms of what you are hearing left, right, just left, just right, far left, etc.

I liked the E3's but it was the lack of a crisp high-end that bothered me almost more than the bass. E4's definitly took care of that
icon10.gif

Mar 30, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 30
give them some time for you to get used to..

I have the e3's and have made my own tips with Max Ear Plugs at work and I get amazing sound isolation and the bass response got much much better, I am very happy with these headphones..

Items needed to make your own tip:

Utility Knife
Scratch Awl
Rubber tips
Ear Plugs - Ear FX Style

I take the rubber tip and cut away the outter shell leaving just the post.

Take the ear Plug and cut the top off to fit over the post.

Push the Scratch Awl through the center of your cut Ear Plug and move it all the way to the end, pull on the plug to tear the hole alittle larger so it slides onto the post more easily.

Slide the post onto the Scratch Awl and holding with your thumbs (or owever you feel the need to do it) and slide the ear plug over the post. I held the post with my finger and turned the ear plug a few times so it would start to expand and then set it aside and went on to the next..

After a few minutes it should expand out over the post, this type of plug holds on tight to the post so there is no real worry of it coming off when you remove the headphones from your ears.

After putting these in my ears, you all know how much easier it is to get a seal with the foams over the rubber tips, these are even easier. The seal with these was much better than the stock Foams and feel just as comfortable. I turn on the PMP-120 and my eyes light up and a big smile comes to my face! BASS!! WoW what a difference, everything is so natural now, Bass is not overpowering but just right, exactly what I was looking for, to top this off the Mid's and High's have bounced into life and sound incredible.

I hope some of you can try this out and let me know what you think, I can guarentee you wont be dissapointed!

***you can find these ear plugs for 25.00 a box/200pcs and with a few minutes of your time save money over purchasing the stock foamies.***

****UPDATE****

Since I posted this I have changed a bit of how I make these.. I no longer use the plastic tips to get my tubes, Use the foamie tube as it will leave behind a rough texture to the post after cutting it off, this will make sure the plug stays on, I did have an instance where the plug remained in my ear..

I also dont use the top of the ear plug as my tip, I use the bottom and it creates an even better seal.. I seriously cannot hear someone talking (quite loud I work in a auto plant) right next to me even with my volume set to a low level of around 9-10 out of 40.. they seal!

Mar 30, 2006 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 30
I've been using tri-flanges and I love my e3's. Bass is not an issue with proper insertion, but if the're not in correctly and sealed, fuhgettaboutit. Really anemic lows.

I like tri flanges since I'm used to tri flange earplugs. I can wear 'em all day.

Now I just need an attenuator for an upcoming trip. As it is, my h320 never goes above 5!

I bough these over the ER61's. I found the Eyt's to be more fatiging, and I did not like the fit- too deep for me. The sound was also too bright compared to teh E3's off of the same source.

Eveybody's mileage varies though.

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #11 of 30
Gravy: Most excellent creation! The foams you used are made by Howard Leight. Great choice. I recommend using some sort of solvent to adhere the foam to the inner stem - this will help ensure that the foam stays on the stem. Other than that I think you have a great accessory. Great job!

Mar 30, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 30
Gary, Thanks for the sharing
biggrin.gif

One question,

So you re-use the tubes that are inside the stock yellow foamies?

I wonder if anyone know where can I buy those ear plugs?
In pharmacy?

(I live in Toronto.)

Mar 31, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahoro
Gary, Thanks for the sharing
biggrin.gif

One question,

So you re-use the tubes that are inside the stock yellow foamies?

I wonder if anyone know where can I buy those ear plugs?
In pharmacy?

(I live in Toronto.)

I'd be interested too in fabricating these, but I wouldn't pillage old tubes, I'd try to buy some new ones. How hard can they be to find? I'm also located in Toronto, so I wouldn't mind making a few of these is the plugs cost like 25$ for 200 and the tubing is like chum change and sending them out for like a quarter or w.e. I'll hit up my local home depot tommorow and let you all know.

Duke

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #15 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
I'd be interested too in fabricating these, but I wouldn't pillage old tubes, I'd try to buy some new ones. How hard can they be to find? I'm also located in Toronto, so I wouldn't mind making a few of these is the plugs cost like 25$ for 200 and the tubing is like chum change and sending them out for like a quarter or w.e. I'll hit up my local home depot tommorow and let you all know.

Duke

I heard some ppl bought those @ pet stores..for the tubing

For the foamies, I will try the drug stores and the shopper drug mart
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back